Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    Wow, what a pain in the rear. Now I remember why I don't reinstall the OS on my computer very often. Then again, I guess it's better than a bricked phone
  2. #2  
    if you use the saved package list in preware and the save/restore app, it's not such a pain.
  3. #3  
    the biggest pain is the actual reinstalling of the apps especially the games they take so long even with wifi but everything goes smooth after that. but doctoring is refreshing once its done
    THE CHAMP IS HERE!!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    if you use the saved package list in preware and the save/restore app, it's not such a pain.
    I do use that, and for some reason it doesn't appear to be saving my patches. That's what's taking me so long ... reinstalling patches by hand. Between that and restoring all of my settings, I've been working on this phone all morning.

    BUT .. the good news is that the stuck patch I had is now gone, and the Mode Switcher top bar menu is now working for me again. That's why I doctored, so I guess my mission is accomplished.
  5.    #5  
    Ugh ... I think the worst part is that I'm VERY particular about where my apps live on the launcher. I'm missing something that I had before, and I can't for the life of me figure out what it was. It's driving me batty.
  6. #6  
    My saved packages list didn't save either the last time I doctored and I have 160 packages installed. =/

    I also didn't use save/restore. It took me like 2 full days to get my phone back to how I wanted it, but at least we HAVE this option.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by smmullen View Post
    Ugh ... I think the worst part is that I'm VERY particular about where my apps live on the launcher. I'm missing something that I had before, and I can't for the life of me figure out what it was. It's driving me batty.
    i am so with you on that! it's the one thing about doctoring that bothers me. otherwise, i feel that it's a pretty painless procedure. but then, i even like the dentist...

    i hope you can get it set up again the way you like it.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by smmullen View Post
    Ugh ... I think the worst part is that I'm VERY particular about where my apps live on the launcher. I'm missing something that I had before, and I can't for the life of me figure out what it was. It's driving me batty.
    Quote Originally Posted by 9KRacing View Post
    My saved packages list didn't save either the last time I doctored and I have 160 packages installed. =/

    I also didn't use save/restore. It took me like 2 full days to get my phone back to how I wanted it, but at least we HAVE this option.
    What you could do next time is to copy your applications folder to your PC before you doctor. Using Internalz, go to /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/ it has all your apps and patches.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan


    Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by igobytony View Post
    i am so with you on that! it's the one thing about doctoring that bothers me. otherwise, i feel that it's a pretty painless procedure. but then, i even like the dentist...

    i hope you can get it set up again the way you like it.
    I'm in the same boat I had to doctor tried Save/Restore, but it will not restore anything. I can see that it saved, but it keeps saying archive not restored. Plus I'm missing about 5 apps that I can't remember.
    Last edited by CHEEZM03; 09/15/2010 at 12:37 PM.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by CHEEZM03 View Post
    I'm in the same boat I had to doctor tried Save/Restore, but it will not restore anything. I can see that it saved.
    That's exactly what it did for me.
  11. #11  
    Save/Restore and the Pre Backup Utility worked great for me!
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by CHEEZM03 View Post
    I'm in the same boat I had to doctor tried Save/Restore, but it will not restore anything. I can see that it saved, but it keeps saying archive not restored. Plus I'm missing about 5 apps that I can't remember.
    Quote Originally Posted by smmullen View Post
    That's exactly what it did for me.
    To restore data, you need to launch the app first to setup its new database. Then close the app and use SaveRestore to restore old data.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by smmullen View Post
    Wow, what a pain in the rear. Now I remember why I don't reinstall the OS on my computer very often. Then again, I guess it's better than a bricked phone
    Ha.

    I came from years of Window Mobile where every time I Flashed a new rom i'd be back to stock. It took me days to get everything back to how I liked it (and that was using back up utilities). Now I complain when I lose some app information.

    Doctoring my Pre has made me soft
  14. #14  
    Maybe your steps for Doctoring and reapplying app's & patches is a little off... I have doctored once before and it took me ~30 minutes. Which I have to agree is as long as a Windows install for me.

    Maybe people here on the forums can suggest ways to improve future Doctoring experiences.

    Update my saved package list, swipe away patches that don't improve my experience (~5min).
    Doctor (~10min).
    Put phone on WiFi for everything to be re-downloaded & applied (~5min).
    Open Preware & install all from the saved package list (~5min).
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

    The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]

Posting Permissions