Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I have over 6000 contacts, it is easy, just type the first letter of the first name, i.e. John Smith. Just type jsmith, and I will have only 2 people in my database of contacts show up. Or if i was looking for a company, just type the company and scroll thru that even if you do not know there name.
    Wow, seriously...just slide and type is so much faster than open the app and scroll. It'd be best if you'd learn to work with webOS instead of working against it, if you gave it a chance, you'd see it's a lot better. I even have people set to one letter speed dial: H for Home, W for Work...just press H or W and their speed dial number pops up first thing. That's the epitome of lazy contacts dialing to me. But yeah, just looking at your contacts via the Phone app should work for you. And not sharing your phone so people can go rummaging through your contacts...
    Quote Originally Posted by crowning73 View Post
    I don't think I've been tough in my replies, when I asked for confirmation and still got bad advice I wasn't happy but no harm done, got gmail back again.
    Actually, you got good advice, which was based on very incomplete information. The person(s) that said removing the account from the contacts wouldn't affect email was basically correct. It didn't directly affect email. Think of it this way. If I change the email address for a co-worker in my contacts, that doesn't affect my email directly. Same thing here. You weren't very specific in what you were looking for (and I even asked for clarification), so that made it difficult to answer - to your satisfaction.

To reply to some about my use of universal search, I may not even know what that is and not even sure I need it to be honest. When I had a few dozens names in my contacts I didn't need to slide the phone and type I just browsed them until I found the one I needed, now with one thousand contacts I must slide and type. That's it. I know, not a big deal, I know, I'm lazy, you can tell me off if you want but that's how I use the phone.
    This is a classic example of a new user not understanding how the phone is designed.

You've got universal search, it's built into the phone. Stop "browsing" for users.

If you want to send an email to John Doe, here are the steps:
    1. Turn on the screen
    2. Start typing jdoe (you'll probably get him at "jdo")
    3. Tap his email address, and the email app will start, with an email to him opened, ready for you to start typing.

If you want to call John Doe, here are the steps:
    1. Turn on the screen
    2. Start typing jdoe
    3. Tap the phone number for him that you wish to dial

If you want to send John Doe a text message, here are the steps:
    1. Turn on the screen
    2. Start typing jdoe (see the pattern here? That's universal search)
    3. Tap the SMS button next to the number you wish to text to

ps. besides, in my gmail account I might, just might, have some uncomfortable email addresses, which now are plainly displayed in the contacts instead of being well hidden in my "secret" gmail account.
    Go into your GMauil account. Create another group besides "All Contacts" or "My Contacts". Move those email addresses to your other group, and remove them from "My Contacts". The Pre only syncs with "My Contacts".
    adding on to the last part of hparsons post....

I don't understand how you have 1000 contacts in a "secret" g-mail account. If you have contacts you don't want viewable to someone you trust to use your phone (you have something to hide) it would probably be best to be using a different g-mail account in general. Even if they didn't show up in contact, they would still show up in the e-mail app, so the excuse that you have "uncomfortable" e-mail addresses is an issue once again of you not being able to use the smartphone at all to the uses you want. This is regardless of the contacts app, since those "uncomfortable contacts" would still be showing up in other apps.

If said "uncomfortable" contacts have your g-mail and you want your g-mail to be accessed from the e-mail app, those contacts e-mailing you would cause an "uncomfortable" pop-up e-mail notification, so I think you should be less worried about the contacts app and more about your understanding of how the phone functions. (and yes I know not all e-mails pop-up in certain circumstances, but once again this goes back to understanding the function of the phone....)
    I think everyone's points about the universal search are valid. But the truth is that universal search is NOT very useful is you do not know what you are looking for! Not everyone necessarily knows or remembers the names or numbers of the contacts they are searching. For example, what if you are in a profession like sales where networking requires documentation of thousands of contacts? Is it really feasible for the ser to know the names of all the contacts? Universal search just like on the internet is sufficient until you require more sophisticated tools to organize and filter the search results you want. I think it is perfectly legitimate for example for some one to separate business contacts to one source vs personal contact to another source. Once databases become very large, I think it is necessary to provide alternate filtering methods other than universal search...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post
    ... I think it is perfectly legitimate for example for some one to separate business contacts to one source vs personal contact to another source. Once databases become very large, I think it is necessary to provide alternate filtering methods other than universal search...
    Alternates, like using the Company and/or Nickname fields? Or, possibly even creating a second (or third, or however many you need) linked contact with the information you want to search on for that user?

Yes, there are more elegant ways to do it, but the reality is, all of the things that have been mentioned can be done on the Pre, as it is today.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Alternates, like using the Company and/or Nickname fields? Or, possibly even creating a second (or third, or however many you need) linked contact with the information you want to search on for that user?

Yes, there are more elegant ways to do it, but the reality is, all of the things that have been mentioned can be done on the Pre, as it is today.

EXACTLY.... everyone keeps bringing up business, like you can't search by company or nickname if you are filtering say by "sales" or "customers." It is far to simple to use, people just don't want to see how simple it is.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123