Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    So add your google account back to Contacts, what you are trying to do is not possible.
    Yes, that's the correct answer, can't be done. Unless someone creates a patch...
    jdod said:
    Please join the movement (well, really, not much of a movement, seems its just little ole me, mostly!).

I have been asking for a patch for a very long time that allows segregation and thus display of contacts by source. No matter if the source is Palm profile, various google accounts, facebook, etc.

We can readily segregate and display calendars by those very same sources, or show them all at once. Why can't we do this with contacts?

See the link in my signature, show it some love!
    Honestly, I don't think it can be done even with a patch.

Contacts are stored in Palm's .db3 database file along with Calendars (not synced with an outside source). This file is really complex to destructure and is the reason why neither Contacts nor Calendars are supported by the Save/Restore application (hopefully, your Palm Contacts and Calendars are restored through the Palm Profile backup - though not always, and any app calendars are not restored at all).

What this patch would require is that this database file be able to be sorted through to pull out the contacts which only match a certain criteria. If this were possible, you would be able to restore contacts with Save/Restore. So, I don't think it can be done without Palm implementation.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    On a related note, is it still impossible to only remove EAS accounts from contacts? Last time I tried that it completely removed the EAS account from everything. Needless to say, it was frustrating.
    Removing an EAS account removes the account from all sources. It's an exception to the rule as other synergy accounts.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by crowning73 View Post
    My PALM PROFILE has mainly, if not only, TELEPHONE NUMBERS.

My GMAIL ACCOUNT of course has only emails.

When started the thread I asked if I could have only my PALM PROFILE to show up and not the hundreds and hundreds of gmai contacts.

So instead of thanking users who give bad advice just read what jdod said (second post, after mine).
    Quite honestly, I really don't understand why you feel this is necessary. Really not trying to argue with you, so if there's a valid reason, please forgive me and help me to understand.
    if you are typing an email, is it very hard to narrow down the recipient by typing in the name? If you have a ton of Johns, for example, just type the last name. Same in the phone app and the contacts app. I could have a million unique contacts from every soure possible and would still be able to easily find the contact I'm looking for. I can't even tell you the last time I opened up the contact app to do anything other than to edit a phone #, add an address, etc. Never use to to start an I'm, email, phone call, test, etc.
    Again, I, like everyone else on this thread, am trying to help you. Please don't get mad at answers that don't solve your problem, or show a lack of understanding for why you would need such a patch or ability.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    Quite honestly, I really don't understand why you feel this is necessary. Really not trying to argue with you, so if there's a valid reason, please forgive me and help me to understand.
    if you are typing an email, is it very hard to narrow down the recipient by typing in the name? If you have a ton of Johns, for example, just type the last name.
    Don't worry mate, no problem, I may have sounded cross but I'm not. I think you haven't understand my issue. IF I delete my gmail profile in contacts, no recipient pops up in the drop down list in the recipient mail app, I would've to remember all emails by heart, unlikely.

On the other hand, if I keep the gmail account in contacts I have about one thousand contacts showing up, not nice but still is the better choice.
    I think you probably will have to wait a 3rd party developer to release an app for this functionality. Hopefully Splashdata will release Agendus for webos once version 2.0 is launched (assuming Palm has opened the API's for contacts integration).

A solution that would allow sorting of contacts not just by source, but also company, zip code, city, customized lists, etc would be very powerful...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Don't worry mate, no problem, I may have sounded cross but I'm not. I think you haven't understand my issue. IF I delete my gmail profile in contacts, no recipient pops up in the drop down list in the recipient mail app, I would've to remember all emails by heart, unlikely.

On the other hand, if I keep the gmail account in contacts I have about one thousand contacts showing up, not nice but still is the better choice.
    No worries man!
    Tell me what bothers you about having thousands of contacts? When is that an issue for you? With universal search, all you have to do is type in a contact's name and it pops right up. Whether you are in the email app, the dialer, IM, text, or just simply using universal search with nothing open. How is it a problem having that many contacts when finding one does not require you to go into the contacts app?
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post
    I think you probably will have to wait a 3rd party developer to release an app for this functionality
    At the end of the day this phone depends a lot on many 3rd party apps and patches, that says it all about the lack of some basic stuff..........
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    Tell me what bothers you about having thousands of contacts? When is that an issue for you? With universal search, all you have to do is type in a contact's name and it pops right up.
    Which is all well and good if you remember the name of the contact you are looking for. But if you are having difficulty remembering the name, scrolling through a long list of contacts is very tedious. This is where some kind of categories or ability to filter by individual calendar would be very helpful.

Jim
    At the end of the day this phone depends a lot on many 3rd party apps and patches, that says it all about the lack of some basic stuff..........
    I don't think filtering by source is a feature you can find on other platforms though. I may be mistaken. However, I hope Hpalm or some dev shows interest in developing an app for customized filters for contacts etc soon...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    If you don't use the Company or Nickname fields, these are workaround places to accomplish your Category desires. Any name in these fields is searchable through universal search in the Contacts app....so if you name the Company/Nickname of contacts to Palm, these contacts will pop up when typing Palm.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Not sure exactly what you're asking, but you can keep the Gmail account in email, and simply remove the Gmail contact from your contact lists. Wouldn't that achieve what you're looking for?
    not really, I've got 800+ gmail contacts, seems a waste of time to delete them one by one don't you think?

jdod I joined the club on your link signature
    You don't delete them one by one. You delete the account in Contacts.
    Quote Originally Posted by gitit20 View Post
    I would love to be able to have with in the contacts app sep lists for yahoo gmail and my palm profile I like the idea behind syng. but i also like to be able to have my contacts in sep lists
    There are several ways to do this. The simplest would be to use a field you don't normally use (Company or Nickname come to mind) and put in Yahoo (or Google, or whatever). Then when you do a search, those will come up in their own "list".

If you already use both those fields, or think you might, just do a duplicate entry (EG - two linked entried for John Doe, one listing Company as ACME, the other listing it as Yahoo).
    It is VERY annoying when people advise you to do something, you're not sure so ask confirmation, they are dead certain...... yet, the email app IS AFFECTED! Try and compose a new email, type the first characters of the recipient contact, nothing will show!
    By "not affected" the person making that statement meant that you would still recieve (and send) emails through GMail.

Of course, if you remove GMAIL contacts from your contact list, they're not going to show up when you type in their name.
    My PALM PROFILE has mainly, if not only, TELEPHONE NUMBERS.

My GMAIL ACCOUNT of course has only emails.

When started the thread I asked if I could have only my PALM PROFILE to show up and not the hundreds and hundreds of gmai contacts.

So instead of thanking users who give bad advice just read what jdod said (second post, after mine).
    Why would the GMAIL account "of course" only have emails? Mine certainly doesn't. More of my Google contacts have phone number than those that don't.

However, if your goal is only have the phone numbers show, try this.

1. Put your GMAIL account back into your contacts
    2. Open the phone app, start typing a contact. Those contacts that don't have phone numbers won't show up.

I might add a #3. Be a little more appreciative of those that are trying to help you (for free). Even if they misunderstand, remember, they are trying to help you.

Why worry about how many accounts show up? The system is not designed for browsing, but for universal search. No matter how many users are in your contacts, when you want one particular one, you just start typing the name.

I almost never open my contacts app, unless I'm editing a contact. If I'm sending an email, messaging, or calling; I just let universal search do it's thing.
    This question is to you specifically, but I am curious as to anyone.... who actually uses the contacts app?

As was said by others, I never use contacts any more, also never actually open the phone app... I usually don't even open the SMS app. Universal search has taken care of all of this for me. As was also said, my gmail profile has full information, my Palm profile only includes contacts originally synced from my Centro (I should import those into gmail some day since it's been almost a year). All new contacts are synced to gmail as well.

It seams to me that you have a very specific way you want to manage your contacts that does not flow with how the majority of WebOS users are using their phones or you haven't fully realized the way the total contacts app interfaces with SMS/Phone/E-Mail/etc.
    FYI, you might also want to checkout supercontacts which may be able to do what you want:

Palm USA | Palm webOS Applications | Mobile apps that go further.

http://www.precentral.net/app-galler...-contacts-plus

Seems like a pretty slick app which allows you to make customizable groups. All you would have to do is create one group with contacts containing your Palm profile. That way you could just use this app to pull up contact phone numbers from this group when you want to search your contacts...

20.    #40  
    I don't think I've been tough in my replies, when I asked for confirmation and still got bad advice I wasn't happy but no harm done, got gmail back again.

To reply to some about my use of universal search, I may not even know what that is and not even sure I need it to be honest. When I had a few dozens names in my contacts I didn't need to slide the phone and type I just browsed them until I found the one I needed, now with one thousand contacts I must slide and type. That's it. I know, not a big deal, I know, I'm lazy, you can tell me off if you want but that's how I use the phone.

ps. besides, in my gmail account I might, just might, have some uncomfortable email addresses, which now are plainly displayed in the contacts instead of being well hidden in my "secret" gmail account.
    Last edited by crowning73; 09/16/2010 at 01:51 AM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast