1.    #1  
    First off, I hope this is the right section, first thread here.

I'm from Ireland and I'm going over to the US in a month. I'm unlocking my Pre before I go as I want to get a pay as you go sim card over there so I don't loose a lot of money to roaming charges. I'd like some recommendations on which network would be the best one to go for.

Thanks in advance
    Can this even be done? The Pre isn't a 'world phone' and the carriers in the US use different frequencies than the European carriers. <head scratch>
  3.    #3  
    Well I was over in the US in April for a week and I was able to use my phone no problem. I think it was with AT&T when I was roaming. I'm assuming that the phone would work with most GSM networks in the US. Just don't know which networks are GSM in the US etc.
    AT&T and T-Mobile are the only national carriers that are GSM in the USA. Out of those two only AT&T sells the Pre. A SIM should theoretically work in an unlocked pre from either carrier though.

T-Mobile is typically cheaper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    T-Mobile is typically cheaper.
    Depending on where you are their coverage area is pretty blah.

Where are you visiting in the US? A general area of the country will do. The country is so big that there's pretty huge regional variations in coverage availibility depending what carrier you're talking about.
    tmobile will be cheeper for you but will not be compatible with your 3G band. AT&T will cost you more but will give you access to 3G on the go.
  7.    #7  
    I'm going to San Francisco. I'll have a look at T-Mobile and AT&T and see what their prices are like.

I also had a look at my Irish carrier and it gave the following spec about the connectivity band:
    Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)
    Quote Originally Posted by fusion158 View Post
    I'm going to San Francisco. I'll have a look at T-Mobile and AT&T and see what their prices are like.

I also had a look at my Irish carrier and it gave the following spec about the connectivity band:
    It's the US carrier frequencies that you need to find out. I don't think that AT&T's 3G frequencies are compatible with your European Pre. TopTongueBarry will chime in shortly and give the definitive answer. (Otherwise PM him)
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    It's the US carrier frequencies that you need to find out. I don't think that AT&T's 3G frequencies are compatible with your European Pre. TopTongueBarry will chime in shortly and give the definitive answer. (Otherwise PM him)
    From what I can see on Google AT&T use 850MHz and 1900MHz for their 3G frequencies, mostly 850MHz from what I've been reading.

According to wikipedia, T-Mobile uses 1700/2100 MHz for their 3G so that rules them out.

So at the moment if this is going to work looks like it'll be with AT&T.
    You will have no problems whatsoever using your 'unlocked' phone with either AT&T or T-Mobile. But do keep in mind that although voice will work fine, your data usage will be limited to just GPRS/EDGE. The Palm Pre has a Quad band phone radio and thus will work with all GSM networks in the world including the US. But the same is not true for the 3G radio in the Palm Pre, which has different bands in the European Pre than the one's used in the US.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    You will have no problems whatsoever using your 'unlocked' phone with either AT&T or T-Mobile. But do keep in mind that although voice will work fine, your data usage will be limited to just GPRS/EDGE. The Palm Pre has a Quad band phone radio and thus will work with all GSM networks in the world including the US. But the same is not true for the 3G radio in the Palm Pre, which has different bands in the European Pre than the one's used in the US.
    That's good to know. Thanks everyone for your input and advice
    If you're not going to get 3G data anyway, from what I understand, T-Mobile's coverage tends to be better out west than it is other places. Whereas AT&T In San Francisco has a pretty lousy reputation (All those iPhone users in a tech heavy town)

T-mobile might be the way to go.