Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi, my Palm Pre Plus on AT&T arrived two days ago and overall I'm very happy with it, but I have some questions.
    First: I have a 200 megabyte/month data plan. I had previously thought that if I don't surf the web too much, or stream audio or video I wouldn't be in trouble, but yesterday I realized that I used over 16 megabytes alone. Is there anything I can do to trim the amount of data that I suck down? How much extra does using push Gmail add? Does that make too much of a difference? I installed Preware... how much data does syncing the feeds take up?
    Second: I like the IM client, but it bugs me that I can't find a way to read the statuses of my buddies on Gtalk.. they get cut off. Is there any way to read the whole thing? Or a substitute 3rd party/homebrew Gmail app that would let me do that?
    Thirdly, is the back of the Pre supposed to get hot after it's been on the Touchstone for a while?
    Thanks in advance for any and all help.
    Enable WiFi & use a WiFi connection whenever possible, that will help some.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    Second: I like the IM client, but it bugs me that I can't find a way to read the statuses of my buddies on Gtalk.. they get cut off. Is there any way to read the whole thing? Or a substitute 3rd party/homebrew Gmail app that would let me do that?
    Thirdly, is the back of the Pre supposed to get hot after it's been on the Touchstone for a while?
    Thanks in advance for any and all help.
    Can't answer your data questions, but I can take this.

There's a patch in the messaging section of preware that'll display the full status messages of buddies in the messaging app.

And yeah, the back is supposed to get hot. One of the side effects of inductive charging is increased heat production.
  4.    #4  
    about the preware thing: sweet! thanks. awesomeness. and yeah, i've enabled wi-fi when i'm at home. next month i'm gonna try to upgrade to the 2gb plan; even if i don't go over it's worth $10 to not freak out about data use every 30 seconds.
    thanks guys.
    AT&T *should* send you a text message when you near your cap. I'm on the 2GB plan so I've never run into that though.
    about the preware thing: sweet! thanks. awesomeness. and yeah, i've enabled wi-fi when i'm at home. next month i'm gonna try to upgrade to the 2gb plan; even if i don't go over it's worth $10 to not freak out about data use every 30 seconds.
    thanks guys.
    Just upgrade to the 2gd plan now if possible. I can tell you this phone is not stingy on using data. I have Sprint, and thank God, cause my data usage even with using WiFi at home is always around 3.5gb per month.

Here are some quick tips that you can do that don't require you losing much functionality of the device yet not use alot of data:

1. Don't send MMS texts
    2. Turn off IM
    3. Set email to sync a less often as you can afford not to have it sync
    4. Turn off GPS/Location services (taht way nothing in the background will run without asking first)
    5. Download all apps/updates when at home on WiFi
    6. Don't stream Pandora
    7. Using the mobile version of a website instead of loading the full version.

UPDATE: Just looked at my current usage on Sprint: I have 24 days left in the billing cycle and I am already at 200k KB = 200MB in data for the month. Just to give you a feel on how much data you might be going to use per month.
    Last edited by DJeremyC; 09/14/2010 at 03:33 PM.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    I'm on AT&T and use Wi-fi at home and at work. My first month with my Pre Plus I used 277MB of data. This month (about halfway through) I've use 177MB.
    like djeremy said...use wifi as much as possible...and when not possible use the mobile site instead of the full site for a web page (otherwise you'll waste all your plan downloading advertisements and such).
    Also when you set up your e-mail - contacts - calender does take some syncing does take up a lot of data when you first do it. It should level off unless you get a lot of e-mails with attachments.

Just a thought!
    Return your phone to AT&T and cancel your plan. Get a Pre from Sprint, by a Pre Plus from Ebay (Verizon or AT&T will do) and follow this:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ion-guide.html
    Yeah, you'll pay a couple hundred for the Pre Plus off ebay, but you'll make much more than that up in the plan pricing over the length of the contract. You can always sell the radioless Sprint phone and the verizon radio board on ebay, or hold onto them and sell them all together the next time you upgrade. You'll have basically the exact same phone you have now, except with no data cap. And in a year you will be able to upgrade to another phone if you choose.
    Heck, send me those two phones and I'll put them together for you. Dump Ma Bell and come over to the good side.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    and whenever possible...use an app instead of a website (like facebook, youtube, precentral, webosroundup...etc)
  12.    #12  
    thanks guys... Only problem is, my parents have AT&t, so I'm riding on their family plan. It seems like I got a bad deal, but consider that I'm paying $30/mo - total - for my Pre.
    I'm just going to be extremely careful and try to make the 200mb last for as long as possible. If I hit 99% ill just turn off data altogether.. I really don't want to go over. Anyways I don't use data at school or at home,and that's where I am 90% of the time.
    so three more questions.
    -just to leave it on all day,how much data does push gmail and IM actually use?
    -when I try to copy and paste things using the key shortcuts, releasing Glowy Line takes me back to card view. This seems like monumentally bad software design.
    -is the any good text editor/word processor with syntax highlighting and a built in FTP Client, kind of like TextWrangler for mac? I'd like to be able to update my website from my phone.
    I think that's all for now. Thanks once again.
    Att gives you the option to up your data package in the middle of the month if you know you're going over. So if you do hit 99% just get online and up the package. Still would rather have my unlimited sprint data
    Get the Mode Switcher app...turn off your Ev connection in every profile and default profile. then wifi only.

or there is a way in phone settings to make it a phone radio only....right?
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    I recommend ditching AT&T!...personally I would never consider using them...
    as for how much does the gmail and im use? it just depends how much u im and receive emails.

the copy paste is annoying at first but once u get use to it, u might like it.

i dunno anything about mac so i dunno bout your last question...
    verizon pre 2 - 2.0, stock
    verizon pre plus - 1.4.5 various patches OC'd 1Ghz.
    verizon pixi plus - various patches, OC'd 800 mhz.
    verizon pixi plus - chillin in my sock drawer
  17.    #17  
    due to all these emails, I am now determined to last a month on 200mb without turning it off or going over.
    my billing cycle starts Oct. 5. I think I can pull it off.
    -when I try to copy and paste things using the key shortcuts, releasing Glowy Line takes me back to card view. This seems like monumentally bad software design.
    You don't have to hold down the center when performing gesture shortcuts. Try pressing to either side.

-is the any good text editor/word processor with syntax highlighting and a built in FTP Client, kind of like TextWrangler for mac? I'd like to be able to update my website from my phone.
    Don't believe this exists, but there could be something in homebrew I'm not aware of.
    Thats is one of the WEAKEST links in the , otherwize wonderful device. There is NO FTP Client. And other than some of the memo apps, there is no real text editor that you can save to html to create web pages. Its one of the things some of us have been hankering for since the beginning..

Its a shame you are stuck with your parents plan, because as others have said, the ATT deal is the worst, with Sprint being the best. But I understand where you are limited being on a family plan.

Enjoy the PRE, there is still LOTS of really cool fun stuff you can do with it, even with the limitations
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    due to all these emails, I am now determined to last a month on 200mb without turning it off or going over.
    my billing cycle starts Oct. 5. I think I can pull it off.
    Just be diligent with your use of 3G data, use wi-fi whenever possible and you MAY be able to make it.

The problem is that use of data gets addicting and you will start using it more and more because it is available.

My wife, who didn't "need" a smartphone and is in wifi a lot uses about 750 mb of data a month and I use about 2.5 gb if I am in the country the whole billing cycle.

Just be prepared to up your plan sometime soon.

Good luck and enjoy the phone

PS. to those who skip from the initial post to the end to reply you keep stating the same things - if you want to reply in a thread please read all the posts. This guy is on his parents' plan and won't be switching to Sprint - sprint can't get that cheap
    Dan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast