Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Have a question I'm hoping some more experienced PRE Users can help me with...

My normal PRE is 1st Generation via Sprint -

But I am currently traveling back and forth between the U.S. and Mexico on a job which will last awhile. In Mexico, my Sprint Pre didn't work for phone functions - but when I turned on Airplane Mode, I was able to connect it with a local Wifi network and get all my email on it, as well as use Apps.

However, I needed a cell phone in Mexico - so I just purchased a PRE from the Mexican provider Telcel. When I activated it (for the 1st time) it asked me if I wanted to create a new Palm Profile - or to log in to an Existing Palm Profile. I told it to log in to my existing Palm Profile - and a few minutes later, it had downloaded all of my existing contact/address/email info. (Sweet!)

But then, when I came back to the place where I'm staying - there was a MESSAGE on my Sprint Pre (which had been in Airplane Mode) - telling me that since I had now logged out of my Palm Profile, I needed to restart the phone. So I pressed the RESTART button and my Sprint Pre restarted....or rather, it tried tried to restart. I thought it would just restart in Airplane Mode - but apparently not, it got stuck in a loop, searching (I guess?) for a Sprint signal (?) which of course it couldn't find since I'm in Guadalajara right now.

SO....I guess....you can only be logged into an individual Palm Profile....ON ONE PHONE AT A TIME......is that correct?

AND - HERE'S THE REAL QUESTION ---- when I return to the U.S. later this week, when I turn my Sprint PRE back on - will it automatically log in to my normal Sprint Profile? Or will it go through some complicated process of 're-activation'? Or will I have to somehow 'sign in' or 'sign back in' to my Palm Profile when I turn my Sprint Pre back on in the U.S.?

I HOPE someone knows the answer. THANKS in advance for any thoughts or replies!

Miguel

Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon
    and occasionally Guadalajara
    FrankenPre PRE 2 on Sprint (in USA)
    Original PRE on Telcel (en Mexico)
    Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose!
    Fascinating.

The message came over the wifi I'm guessing. I'm guessing you have shut the Sprint Pre down while in Guadalajara and just use the TelCel Pre.

I would assume you'd need to shut down the TelCel Pre prior to returning to the US and then restart the Sprint Pre and go through a re-syncing process after you touch down.

This is a guess from a guy who just used webOS Doctor tonight for the first time.
    Last edited by Mr._Happy; 09/14/2010 at 01:32 AM. Reason: clarity
    Yes, you can only be logged into a profile on one device at a time. When you get back home, you will be able to log back into your profile and it will re download all your apps and other synced info. This will also erase the data on your Telcel Pre like it did to the Sprint Pre.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Thanks for the answers - they more or less confirm what I was hoping.

I just got a little worried, after activating my new Telcel Pre, when I suddenly discovered my old/normal Sprint Pre....was for most intents and purposes inoperable, even just using WiFi...

Live and learn however.

Since I'm returning to the States tomorrow evening, I'll post any intriguing results that I discover from this interesting bi-national experience.

Cheers y Saludos from Mexico!

Miguel

Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by MiguelATF View Post
    Thanks for the answers - they more or less confirm what I was hoping.

I just got a little worried, after activating my new Telcel Pre, when I suddenly discovered my old/normal Sprint Pre....was for most intents and purposes inoperable, even just using WiFi...

Live and learn however.

Since I'm returning to the States tomorrow evening, I'll post any intriguing results that I discover from this interesting bi-national experience.

Cheers y Saludos from Mexico!

Miguel
    Just one suggestion if you will be switching Pre's often. Use Save/Restore to back up your app data.

Pip
    Also you can use MetaDoctor to doctor your Sprint Pre and use it skipping activation, just for wifi
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Just one suggestion if you will be switching Pre's often. Use Save/Restore to back up your app data.

Pip
    Damn....that's a good sugggestion. Unfortunately I didn't do it - and I lost some semi important data in a few apps. Nothing irreplacable, but it's going to be a pain to redo it....

Thanks for the tip!

Miguel

Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    So, here's the report.

Left Mexico. Turned off my Mexican Telcel Pre. Returned to the U.S. Turned on my Sprint Pre. It asked me if I wanted to log into my existing Palm Profile, I said yes..... It took awhile, but it almost restored everything to my Sprint Pre just the way it was.

Except for.....Preware. No Preware. Guess I'll have to reinstall it...

And also lost some data from one or two Apps. Which means if I start repeating this process....I'm going to have to do some kind of Save/Restore to one Pre....before turning it off and activating the other with my same Palm Profile.

Which leads me to one last question which I'm sure has been covered elsewhere but I'm tired and jet-lagged so I'll ask it again - for those who have some experience with the Pre's on the Mexican Network TelCel --- how easy or hard is it to install PreWare on a TelCel Pre? Is it essentially the same process as with a Sprint Pre? And - once it's installed.....can PreWare be accessed....from Mexico?

Thanks again for all the info.

Miguel

Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon
    Exactly the same, put Pre in developer mode, and use webos quick install to install it. You may install save/restore on the same step