1.    #1  
    Would it be safe to plug in my touchstone charger into the built in USB connector in my new Honda Civic? Or is it better to plug it into the cigarette lighter using the official Palm car charger? Is there a difference in how fast it charges using these 2 methods? Thanks a lot!

Darren
    The issue isn't as much safety as power; the TS requires quite a bit to work properly. Most USB lighter adapters, even those that can charge the Pre directly, won't put out enough power for the Touchstone. I don't know the power specs of the Civic's USB connector (or if it puts out any power, rather than just being for audio), but you'll likely get better, more consistent results from the Palm Car Charger plugged into the Touchstone. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    The standard USB output is 0.5 amp and the Pre itself requires about 1A to charge, so the cigarette lighter or direct wiring is the way to go.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks a lot!
    This actually has to do with the USB port being quick charge compliant. This is why PC USB ports don't work either (without a modified cable). The quick charge compliance of the Pre's plug putting voltage to the 2 extra wires that allow the TS puck to recognize it is plugged into a quick charge compliant USB port.

In the end though, yeah you are probably better off using the USB adapter.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    This actually has to do with the USB port being quick charge compliant. This is why PC USB ports don't work either (without a modified cable). The quick charge compliance of the Pre's plug putting voltage to the 2 extra wires that allow the TS puck to recognize it is plugged into a quick charge compliant USB port.

In the end though, yeah you are probably better off using the USB adapter.
    More like 2 less wires. The data pins are shorted together, which signals the device it's a "fast charging" high current port.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    More like 2 less wires. The data pins are shorted together, which signals the device it's a "fast charging" high current port.
    Technically the TS is seeing power from MORE pins than it does from a standard USB non-compliant charger. This is from the Palm factory charger and other compliant chargers putting voltage to the data pins. This is why I say the TS sees voltage on a wire(s) that aren't supplied by standard USB chargers (USB that supports data or a USB that is only putting power and ground).

This is also why you can modify a USB cable to charge from say a PC, because the PC doesn't technically notice any difference (other than there will no longer be a data connection), but the TS sees the additional signal it requires to "Turn-On." (the voltage on the 2 data pins)

Just clarifying, since if the TS was seeing less power, from 2 wires, it would not function.