webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > Screen not responding to touch correctly
Screen not responding to touch correctly

Old 09/13/2010, 03:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Sprint Palm Pre has begun having problems detecting touch and responding correctly. For no apparent reason, when I touch the screen these days the system either doesnt respond at all (ie nothing happens) or it responds as if I'm pressing somewhere else on the screen. For example, dragging up to unlock the screen from sleep mode can send the lock icon spinning around the screen, up and down, left and right, even though I've lifted my finger from the screen. Other times, when I tap on the screen, the "ripple" icon that shows where you touched appears elsewhere on the screen. I'm frequently tapping things open or closed that I haven't actually touched.

It's super annoying and sometimes makes the phone unusable. Funny thing is, a restart or battery pull will usually fix the problem for a while.

I don't have Preware or any patches/themes running (I doctored my phone several months ago) and haven't updated the OS recently.

Any thoughts??

Thanks
slope72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/13/2010, 08:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Go into Device info, select the preferences drop down box at top, choose tests, then interactive tests, touch sensors. Tap on start to run the tests and see if they pass.

You can also run the screen test.

Do you have any screen protectors installed? I have the static stick on type and after several months, they can get moisture under them (hard to see) that causes strange touch screen behavior.
Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: verwon
Old 09/13/2010, 08:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
GFS

i tried using a generic microUSB charger the other day, and suddenly my Pre freaked out. it registered touches all over the screen, until i pulled the plug.

so if you're getting while on a charger, be sure it's a palm charger (or compatible).
GFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/13/2010, 08:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

If you're not running the latest software update for your phone ~ and if it's available you should install it. Second, you need to run webos doctor on your device for those issues.(i.e. Sluggishness, unresponsive screen.) Here is the new webos versions. Choose the one for your phone subscriber: Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals. Also, steps to follow: Palm - webOS Doctor - FAQs.

Good Luck.

Last edited by RUSH; 09/13/2010 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Correction in errors
RUSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/13/2010, 08:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

This won't apply to you since you don't have anything extra installed, but it did happen to me and I discovered the device temperature was on the high side. An unresponsive touch screen is a side effect of over 45-degree temperatures on my Pre.
flamand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2010, 12:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

exhale on it, then rub it on your cloths.
Fihiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2010, 08:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have had problems with my touchscreen when using uberkernel at 1GHz, and sometimes at 800MHz. When UK is at default 500Mhz, I don't have that problem.
Old 09/16/2010, 04:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hi all. My Pre's touchscreen suddenly stopped working yesterday.

I started to search and saw this is a common error due to a (sadly more and more common) bad quality manufacturing.

I wish this palm phone were as hard to break as my Treo 650.

Well, I disassembled it, as Palm said once (because of the infamous power button issue) that my phone was out of warranty (they simply decided I broke it so it was my fault).

I checked all was in place but the touchscreen phone remained non working.

I tried then to connect it to my computer so I could anyway rescue information or at least remote control it some some way (a vnc server anywhere?)...

And voilá! It started to work again...

But... why? I now just don't want to disconnect this from the computer because of losing again the touchscreen...
Tokafondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2010, 05:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

Now I can confirm that the touchscreen only works when the pre is connected to the computer via usb, and not even while connected to the charger...

HOW THIS CAN BE??
Old 09/16/2010, 08:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

First off make sure that you are not touching the gesture area while tapping the phone. I get this behavior when part of my palm is touching the gesture area and the phone goes nuts when I scroll through a website or tap a link. Also just turn the screen off and back on. I rarely get unresponsive touches, but a lock and unlock typically fixes it.
sothrowd08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2010, 11:56 AM   #11 (permalink)

WebOS Doctor'ed it and no way... There is something wrong in there and there is no software fix for it...
Old 09/16/2010, 12:17 PM   #12 (permalink)

i had a similar problem. i ended up getting a replacement from sprint. good luck but i dont think it can be fixed.
mikeiniowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/13/2010, 02:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

Mine is still suffering from this problem. It's not consistent and a reboot usually fixes the problem for a few days. I'm definitely not touching the gesture area because I can see the phantom taps happening when the Pre is sitting on the table or Touchstone. It will just sit there and tap away, launching applications, sending emails, making phone calls all w/o me doing anything. It's super annoying. Luckily I only have 1 month left before I can upgrade via Sprint Premiere and it's bye-bye Palm and hello Android. I'm not wild about that, but I can't live with such crappy build quality any longer.
slope72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/13/2010, 07:55 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slope72 View Post
Mine is still suffering from this problem. It's not consistent and a reboot usually fixes the problem for a few days. I'm definitely not touching the gesture area because I can see the phantom taps happening when the Pre is sitting on the table or Touchstone. It will just sit there and tap away, launching applications, sending emails, making phone calls all w/o me doing anything. It's super annoying. Luckily I only have 1 month left before I can upgrade via Sprint Premiere and it's bye-bye Palm and hello Android. I'm not wild about that, but I can't live with such crappy build quality any longer.
I'm having the same issues and it seems to be happening more and more. I just put my Pre on the touchstone and when I looked back at it, cards were popping up and all kind of activity was going on.....look Ma, no hands! I really like my Palm Pre and am hoping to hang on until the new Pre comes out, but it is testing my patience for sure. I have one of the June 6, 2009 phones and have had very few issues until now....grrrrrrrrrr. By the way....I have added nothing to the phone other than programs from the Palm store.

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

Be a Patriot, pray for Obama, Psalm 109:8

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
clemgrad85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/13/2010, 08:11 PM   #15 (permalink)

I had the same problem recently. I never got an answer as to what the exact cause is, but apparently the "Ghost Touching" problem is very common. Fortunately it was VERY easy to get help with my situation.

First i chatted with a sprint rep online who said i could file a claim with asurion, replace the phone, and since it's a "phone defect," sprint would reimburse me the $100 deductible. Very nice offer if you ask me.

But before i did that, just yesterday i decided to try my local sprint store. They too said it was a common problem. I left them with my phone for 1 hour while they replaced the screen and back casing (scratches and smudges gone!)...no questions asked and free of charge! It's like i have a brand new phone!
Pookela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/16/2010, 04:39 PM   #16 (permalink)

Well....looks like I'm going to finally have to turn my 6/6/09 issued Pre in. Went by the Sprint store this AM and they said my issue was the touch screen has about died and best to just get a replacement Pre. I guess that will get me through until the new Pre comes to Sprint. The final straw with needing to replace happened last night when the phone bought a program from the store without me actually doing it. I swear....the phone was sitting on the table....the App Store came up and before I knew what was going on I had purchased a Bible program.....maybe God was trying to tell me something, not sure....but I promise it happened (I had the credit card info set up so that I didn't have to enter it each time). Anyway, hopefully a replacement phone will get me loving my Pre again.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
Old 10/16/2010, 04:51 PM   #17 (permalink)

Sometimes turning the screen off, waiting a few seconds, and turning it back on fixes screen sensitivity issues for me.

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
jjeffcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/16/2010, 05:52 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
Sometimes turning the screen off, waiting a few seconds, and turning it back on fixes screen sensitivity issues for me.
Yup....that did work for me but was starting to happen so often (sometimes every few minutes) that it was getting difficult to use. If you're trying to read your email and different programs are opening up and cards are flying around (not exagerating), hard to use the darn thing. Anyway, my initial Pre lasted 17 months, soooooo, I guess not too bad and I'll be in line for when the new one rolls out.

Thanked By: jjeffcoat
Old 10/18/2010, 02:38 PM   #19 (permalink)

Just wanted to share a solution I found that so far has kept the phantom taps from returning:

When your Pre is going crazy, simply remove the back cover (mine's a TS cover) and use the phone normally -- accessing apps, typing etc. with your fingers touching whatever it will touch at the back. I even did this with the Palm USB wall charger and cable plugged in.. and somehow, it just removed that excess static electricity (or phantomness) from the phone.

(Then again, it could've been all that wiping I did with the antennas after using the phone this way for a while..)

In any case, my Pre is officially exorcised.

Hope this helps!
Furuboru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/2010, 11:48 PM   #20 (permalink)

I have a little different problem. Last night my both backlight and screen stopped functioning. And, I find there is a crack in the upper right corner. If I am in bright light, I can make out that the screen is working (just no backlight) But, I cannot make it it respond to any touch command. Phone rings and accepts calls.

Ok, I went to Sprint store and another phone should arrive in a day or so. The problem: I'd like to get access to the USB drive and get some files off. When I hook it up to a PC I can barely see the selection for 'Just Charge' , USB, etc, but I cannot select them. does anyone know of any keystrokes I can use to select USB?

Thanks!
tommyt26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0