Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    reboot and/or battery pull might help the OP. I've had the screen act totally wierd, only to come back to normal after a reboot.
    I just solved my problem by plugging in a USB then pulling down slightly toward keyboard.

Every once in a while, my Pre (minus) (#6!) will not turn off when closed, but only when open. Also, when closed it has the phantom screen touches and/or is non-responsive. Sometimes the keyboard flickers. Usually resolves it self after a few hours, but not this last 1.5 days.

Sometimes, flexing the screen at the USB door (like holding a card in the middle and pulling at both ends) resolves the matter. This time I closed cover and pulled at USB port with cord attached until power button responded.

What amazes me most is that haven't yet thrown this thing against the well! I've wanted to snap it in half so many times! I had less frustration with the Treo 270 even after breaking two hinges!
    Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> Pre 100 EWW
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyt26 View Post
    I have a little different problem. Last night my both backlight and screen stopped functioning. And, I find there is a crack in the upper right corner. If I am in bright light, I can make out that the screen is working (just no backlight) But, I cannot make it it respond to any touch command. Phone rings and accepts calls.

Ok, I went to Sprint store and another phone should arrive in a day or so. The problem: I'd like to get access to the USB drive and get some files off. When I hook it up to a PC I can barely see the selection for 'Just Charge' , USB, etc, but I cannot select them. does anyone know of any keystrokes I can use to select USB?

Thanks!
    Option + Sym + U
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Thanks for everyone's input. My screen weirdness went away for a month or so but is back full force. It's now calling people all the time with its phantom touches. So annoying. Funnily enough, it happens 200% more often when it's on the Touchstone charging. I can just sit there and watch the phantom taps all over the screen, launching apps, sending emails. Ugh.

I'll try removing the back cover, but I'm done with this phone. I love WebOS. LOVE IT. But with Sprint not signing on with the Pre2 and my contract up Dec 1, I'm moving to a Samsung Epic. I'll be sad to leave WebOS behind, but maybe I'll jump back to HPalm next year when they've got a brand new phone out.
    Quote Originally Posted by slope72 View Post
    Thanks for everyone's input. My screen weirdness went away for a month or so but is back full force. It's now calling people all the time with its phantom touches. So annoying. Funnily enough, it happens 200% more often when it's on the Touchstone charging. I can just sit there and watch the phantom taps all over the screen, launching apps, sending emails. Ugh.
    Does tugging at the usb port help?
    My touchscreen is freaking OUT! Random tapping, opening apps, making calls and sending e-mails for no reason. I can't seem to determine what (if anything) sets it off. On the other hand, when I WANT to send an e-mail or open an app or answer a call, it won't respond to REAL TOUCHES.

I'm really frustrated as I don't want to move to another OS platform, but I am a first gen Palm user (hubby and I were at Best Buy when they first came out) and I am not sure if I can still get a replacement. Have any of you been users for the last two years and had Sprint replace your phones for free or minimal cost at this point?

I will say that I have had NO other problems with this phone and I really LOVE the WebOS platform, which is why I am reluctant to trade in for something else...but I don't know if I can last until Sprint announces that they are going to carry a new Palm phone (if they announce??).
    Quote Originally Posted by chocolatejunky View Post
    My touchscreen is freaking OUT! Random tapping, opening apps, making calls and sending e-mails for no reason. I can't seem to determine what (if anything) sets it off. On the other hand, when I WANT to send an e-mail or open an app or answer a call, it won't respond to REAL TOUCHES.

I'm really frustrated as I don't want to move to another OS platform, but I am a first gen Palm user (hubby and I were at Best Buy when they first came out) and I am not sure if I can still get a replacement. Have any of you been users for the last two years and had Sprint replace your phones for free or minimal cost at this point?

I will say that I have had NO other problems with this phone and I really LOVE the WebOS platform, which is why I am reluctant to trade in for something else...but I don't know if I can last until Sprint announces that they are going to carry a new Palm phone (if they announce??).
    I'm on my 8th or 9th Pre from Sprint and none of them have cost me anything to be replaced. I'm not hard on my phones, I've just had some bad luck with the hardware. But I love the OS so much that I don't mind. I have never lost anything in the process of replacing.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups

Sometimes, that screen craziness resolves itself in a few hours. Lately, I've been finding that jostling the USB port makes the difference. Just fiddle and post the results, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by summitscout View Post
    Sometimes, that screen craziness resolves itself in a few hours. Lately, I've been finding that jostling the USB port makes the difference. Just fiddle and post the results, please.
    Generally, I charge using the Touchstone, so the USB port isn't part of my problem...or solution. I've been dealing with this "ghost touching" problem for several weeks now and it seems to be getting worse. It was just random at first, but today, it won't really respond consistently at all to my finger touches/swipes...but LOTS of random app launches, phone calls, etc.

That's why I posted wondering about replacement cost/phones. I love WebOS but I'm not sure I want to pay for another phone, especially at Christmas.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    I'm on my 8th or 9th Pre from Sprint and none of them have cost me anything to be replaced. I'm not hard on my phones, I've just had some bad luck with the hardware. But I love the OS so much that I don't mind. I have never lost anything in the process of replacing.
    Just wondering, have you walked into a store for replacing or called Sprint?
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I have been having the same issue with phantom touching of the screen. It started a few weeks ago and a reboot fixed it. Started again last night and a reboot has not resolved the issue. I woke up this morning with the phone on the Touchstone and the email app open, replying to an email. I'll try some of the tips on this thread when I get home tonight and report back.
    I am on my 6th device. The guys at the local Sprint store know me well by now. Somehow they still smile when I come in when I think they should be cringing. I added $7/mo. insurance on my account based on the way things were going with this device although I have yet to replace it under the insurance. All the other replacements were gratis, even after one year.

From what I have been discovering with some tinkering is that the slider, screen and USB port are all closely linked and one can affect the other if it gets off-kilter, warped or maybe gets lint in there. I use both the touchstone and usb charger. This issue has happened to me several times while using only the touchstone charger.

As I have mentioned in previous posts, warping the top cover slightly (as if you were holding a playing card at top and bottom then pushing or pulling at center) may cause this issue to start or stop. Blowing out the device can also help. Some have reported that vigorously opening and closing the device may also realign the connections or dislodge any obstructions. As I last reported, tugging at the USB port with a plug has been the most productive method for me to rectify the phantom taps and unresponsiveness.

I also have been wondering lately if the "fiddly" usb door itself might not sometimes cause warpage at the port and, consequently, the weirdness experience. Most have speculated that the removal of that door on the Pre 2 was cosmetic, but I wonder if it was not also a remedy to this issue.

This approach to realigning the top cover has in fact prevented me from exchanging the device three times in the last two months. I typically lose data and productivity when I swap out devices so I try to avoid doing so.

I hope that this advice helps you get your pre back up and running properly, which could happen in a matter of moments if you try my suggestions, even if you only use the touchstone.

Best wishes!
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by summitscout View Post
    I am on my 6th device. The guys at the local Sprint store know me well by now. Somehow they still smile when I come in when I think they should be cringing. I added $7/mo. insurance on my account based on the way things were going with this device although I have yet to replace it under the insurance. All the other replacements were gratis, even after one year.

From what I have been discovering with some tinkering is that the slider, screen and USB port are all closely linked and one can affect the other if it gets off-kilter, warped or maybe gets lint in there. I use both the touchstone and usb charger. This issue has happened to me several times while using only the touchstone charger.

As I have mentioned in previous posts, warping the top cover slightly (as if you were holding a playing card at top and bottom then pushing or pulling at center) may cause this issue to start or stop. Blowing out the device can also help. Some have reported that vigorously opening and closing the device may also realign the connections or dislodge any obstructions. As I last reported, tugging at the USB port with a plug has been the most productive method for me to rectify the phantom taps and unresponsiveness.

I also have been wondering lately if the "fiddly" usb door itself might not sometimes cause warpage at the port and, consequently, the weirdness experience. Most have speculated that the removal of that door on the Pre 2 was cosmetic, but I wonder if it was not also a remedy to this issue.

This approach to realigning the top cover has in fact prevented me from exchanging the device three times in the last two months. I typically lose data and productivity when I swap out devices so I try to avoid doing so.

I hope that this advice helps you get your pre back up and running properly, which could happen in a matter of moments if you try my suggestions, even if you only use the touchstone.

Best wishes!
    Just tried your method of "warping" and it seems to be working ok now. I'll monitor it throughout the day, but so far so good.
    Awesome! You just joined the club of Pre Chiropractors!

It should be fine until the next time it gets out of alignment, but you'll know what to do then.
    My wife started having this issue after using a touchstone for several months. Just out of the blue her screen started freaking out, but only after it had been on the touchstone charging overnight. We did a hard reset and it started working fine. Then I had her charge it on the touchstone and sure enough the problem came back. We did find that after a battery removal reboot and time the issue goes away and she no longer uses the touchstone. After we got her screen issues resolved, my phone started acting up. This time I just stopped using the touchstone for a couple of weeks, did a battery removal reboot and no issues. I have since started using the touchstone again and so far so good. I think it could be just a coincidence with the touchstone, but it does have a magnet so I can't be sure. If my phone acts up again, I will post again.
    Just wondering, have you walked into a store for replacing or called Sprint?
    Walked in.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Quote Originally Posted by boredtodeath View Post
    My wife started having this issue after using a touchstone for several months. Just out of the blue her screen started freaking out, but only after it had been on the touchstone charging overnight. We did a hard reset and it started working fine. Then I had her charge it on the touchstone and sure enough the problem came back. We did find that after a battery removal reboot and time the issue goes away and she no longer uses the touchstone. After we got her screen issues resolved, my phone started acting up. This time I just stopped using the touchstone for a couple of weeks, did a battery removal reboot and no issues. I have since started using the touchstone again and so far so good. I think it could be just a coincidence with the touchstone, but it does have a magnet so I can't be sure. If my phone acts up again, I will post again.
    It seems the Original Pre slider is susceptible to mis-alignment or warping which causes the phantom presses or unresponsiveness. As you have no doubt noticed, the Touchstone adds a lot of heat as well as power. Heat causes most things to expand. Therefore, it is not illogical to say that extended Touchstone charging could be causing these problems.

By the same theory, rebooting by battery removal doesn't rectify the problem because of the reboot, but because opening the case and removing the battery allows the device to cool and move back into alignment. Next time, try removing just the back and giving it some air to cool. See if it rectifies itself without the reboot.

Anyone see any reports of these problems on the Pre 2? Certainly, the Gorilla Glass front will be far less susceptible to heat warping than the original plastic screen. I will be very dismayed if the next generation Pre doesn't have a better engineered slider mechanism!
    My replacement phone is on the way. =) I was charged a minimal ($35) replacement fee, but the CSR confirmed this is a hardware issue. The touchscreen is slowly going bad...

Hopefully this refurb will hold me over til Sprint (hopefully) announces the new Palm devices they are going to carry.
    My replacement phone is on the way. =) I was charged a minimal ($35) replacement fee, but the CSR confirmed this is a hardware issue. The touchscreen is slowly going bad...

Hopefully this refurb will hold me over til Sprint (hopefully) announces the new Palm devices they are going to carry.
    Did you have the $7 per month Sprint replacement insurance on your plan?
    Former Sprint Treo 700p Owner, now Sprint Palm Pre- and HP Touchpad Owner.
    I'm joining this sad club.

This is my 4th? Pre, but the first to die due to touchscreen not working.

Oddly enough, I just tried plugging it into my Palm Foleo, to use the USB to wipe clean the phone before I return it (I can't use USB on my work computer). When I did, the Foleo didn't see it, but the touchscreen let me press the USB vs. Charge buttons... Rebooted, about to see if problem went away.

If it doesn't, does anyone know how to wipe out the phone WITHOUT USB, and WITHOUT a touchscreen? I can't doctor it, nor hit the reset/wipe app.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast