Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1.    #1  
    Ok so just yesterday I could call people just fine. I don't know what i've done, but now I cannot hear or speak to others when my phone is NOT on speaker phone. its like my phone just shuts down its microphone and ear speaker when its not on speakerphone and i'm not sure why.

    Any help would be appreciated. I've tried restarting luna, I'm running the latest (for AT&T) in the webOS. I do overclock to 1ghz using uberkernel and govnah but my phone hasn't ever overheated. I haven't tried doctoring it yet because i'm at work.

    is there some simple fix that I'm missing to a common problem? Thanks.
  2.    #2  
    Actually I just fixed it.. after toying with it. It wasn't until after I posted that I realized I was also just listening to my phone using an auxiliary cord in my car (drpodder). So I plugged an aux cable in and out of the phone to see if maybe it didn't register that it was unplugged. That didn't work. so I opened up dr. podder and deleted the podcast that I had just listened to (I was all done with it anyways). and it worked! Sorry for the useless thread..
  3. rmassey911's Avatar
    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    #3  
    never a useless thread... you may have helped somebody else who ran into the same problem
  4. #4  
    Just took the wife's Pixi in for this VERY problem that has been happening to her's for about a month. They said it was a simple software fix. They took it to the back and brought it back to us and it has worked ever since.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartakt View Post
    Actually I just fixed it.. after toying with it. It wasn't until after I posted that I realized I was also just listening to my phone using an auxiliary cord in my car (drpodder). So I plugged an aux cable in and out of the phone to see if maybe it didn't register that it was unplugged. That didn't work. so I opened up dr. podder and deleted the podcast that I had just listened to (I was all done with it anyways). and it worked! Sorry for the useless thread..
    Actually, the fix likely had more to do with you plugging and unplugging the audio jack. You had a very common problem with the phone getting stuck in headset mode. It happened to me for the first time this past weekend. Royal pain.
  6. #6  
    My Pre is also stuck in headphone mode!! Tried restarting, plugging/un-plugging headphones...nothing works!! So I guess I'm going to Sprint tomorrow...
  7. #7  
    @smmullen How did U fix yours?
  8. #8  
    I got to Pre #3 because of this issue. Gah! The first one would only do it sometimes and could often be fixed by dipping a headphone jack in 91% or higher rubbing alcohol, shaking it off and plugging/unplugging 4 or 5 times (as recommended by a Sprint rep). The fist one finally bit it thanks to the power button issue fix failed to fix it. Alcohol didn't work for the second one.

    Quote Originally Posted by GregandTink View Post
    Just took the wife's Pixi in for this VERY problem that has been happening to her's for about a month. They said it was a simple software fix. They took it to the back and brought it back to us and it has worked ever since.
    You sure?
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by tacvwdriver View Post
    @smmullen How did U fix yours?
    I plugged in the headphone jack, turned on some music, turned off the music, and then unplugged the headphone jack. I had to do it a couple of times, but the sound went back to the way it should. It's done it again since then. It's annoying, but fortunately easy to fix.
  10. #10  
    Search "stuck in headset mode" - there are other fixes - pull battery, use qtip with cotton removed and ram the jack (be sure you have insurance), blow air in, etc.

    Q tip fixed my first one, nothing fixed numbers 2 and 3 except new phone. Makes me sick I can't listen to music on headphones, I have no faith it won't happen again which makes replacement such a hassle.

    Good luck
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartakt View Post
    Ok so just yesterday I could call people just fine. I don't know what i've done, but now I cannot hear or speak to others when my phone is NOT on speaker phone. its like my phone just shuts down its microphone and ear speaker when its not on speakerphone and i'm not sure why.

    Any help would be appreciated. I've tried restarting luna, I'm running the latest (for AT&T) in the webOS. I do overclock to 1ghz using uberkernel and govnah but my phone hasn't ever overheated. I haven't tried doctoring it yet because i'm at work.

    is there some simple fix that I'm missing to a common problem? Thanks.

    I tried every trouble shoot in the book, eventually I had to send the phone off to Palm yesterday. It sucks because I bought the phone brand new off ebay,(August 12th) and att wouldn't replace it because of it. So now I'm at risk of getting a refurb in place of a brand new device. Now I'll be gun shy everytime I want to listen to tunes with my earbuds.
  12. #12  
    Bartatk, your message WAS valuable. I know the Pre and WebOS pretty well and I had the same symptoms you mentioned. I was just ready to Doctor the phone when I found your message. I remembered that I was using my Bose headphones with my phone on the plane yesterday when the problem started. I removed the latest patches I installed and MyTether. Nothing worked so I was going to spend the morning Doctoring my phone. I plugged in and removed my headphones from the jack several times, but I think it was the broken Q-Tip that I wiggled around the hole that fixed it.

    Thanks for your solution!
  13. jkeitz's Avatar
    Posts
    318 Posts
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    #13  
    Other things to try are compressed air can and an interdental brush (go to a pharmacy and tell them what you are looking for, its a brush for people with braces). I keep those with me at most times. I have a cleaning kit in my briefcase with those tools. I get stuck in headset mode about once a week. I can usually clear it on my own and when I can't I drive it all the way to Reno where the Sprint store techs are able to clear it quickly for me. It is a nuisance, but it is usually fixable without having to replace.
  14. jrronimo's Avatar
    Posts
    48 Posts
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    #14  
    Mine gets stuck in headset mode fairly often when using headphones. The fix that always works for me is:

    1. Go into Music.
    2. Start playing something. Anything.
    3. Unplug headphones.
    4. If the Pause button changes to a Play button, all is okay.
    5. If the Pause button stays a Pause button on removal, insert headphones again. Go to Step 3.

    As a further test, once the Pause button turns to a Play button, you can hit Play (with the headphones unplugged) and you should hear your music out loud.
  15. jkeitz's Avatar
    Posts
    318 Posts
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrronimo View Post
    Mine gets stuck in headset mode fairly often when using headphones. The fix that always works for me is:

    1. Go into Music.
    2. Start playing something. Anything.
    3. Unplug headphones.
    4. If the Pause button changes to a Play button, all is okay.
    5. If the Pause button stays a Pause button on removal, insert headphones again. Go to Step 3.

    As a further test, once the Pause button turns to a Play button, you can hit Play (with the headphones unplugged) and you should hear your music out loud.
    This works sometimes, but only because the headset unsticks the lint or dust or whatever was causing the switch to stick. The music playing is a good diagnostic, but it doesn't affect the fix. I used to call my voicemail with the headset plugged in then pull it out, and sometimes that fixed it, but what I was really doing was "cleaning" it. Best thing seems to be an air can, followed by brush or Q-tip if the air can doesn't do it. I have also learned that the air can may not work on the first spray or two. After spraying, try the method above to see if the headset re-triggers the switch. If it doesn't, don't give up, try the air and brush again until it does.

Posting Permissions