Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Took my wife's Pre into Sprint yesterday to try to get a replacement for the infamous usb crack. Going in I thought there was no way they would give me one and just use the go through insurance line. Service rep called my name and asked how he could help, I explained the Pre has really bad oreo, the slider catches and won't open at times, randomly shuts off, and oh yeah, has this wicked usb crack. He replied "no problem, let's get a replacement for you." Really? That easy? He looked up the account and then placed an order for one that will be in in 3 days. Awesome I was thinking, then he mentioned loving his Pre. Ahhhh, so I got lucky and was being helped by a fellow webOS lover. Excellent. Anyways, I was pretty nervous about it before hand because it's been dropped multiple times and a piece actually broke off by the port (I glued it back into place), but it went very well. I was out of there in under 10 minutes.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    It all depends on who you get to help you...

I have had my launch pre replaced for a crack in the upper left portion of the front housing that was only visible if held with the slide open and a light behind it...

Friend at work has had his changed by the same store 5 times usb crack, 3 bad proxy sensors and once for the screen crapping out the last time they offered him a hero and he took it as to not have to keep returning bad phones...

IDK sprint seems to be pretty good with replacements in my area as long as you don't walk in the store with a stick up your **** and act like they owe you something...
    Quote Originally Posted by gonk24 View Post
    Took my wife's Pre into Sprint yesterday to try to get a replacement for the infamous usb crack. Going in I thought there was no way they would give me one and just use the go through insurance line. Service rep called my name and asked how he could help, I explained the Pre has really bad oreo, the slider catches and won't open at times, randomly shuts off, and oh yeah, has this wicked usb crack. He replied "no problem, let's get a replacement for you." Really? That easy? He looked up the account and then placed an order for one that will be in in 3 days. Awesome I was thinking, then he mentioned loving his Pre. Ahhhh, so I got lucky and was being helped by a fellow webOS lover. Excellent. Anyways, I was pretty nervous about it before hand because it's been dropped multiple times and a piece actually broke off by the port (I glued it back into place), but it went very well. I was out of there in under 10 minutes.
    Was your phone still under warranty?
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    ROTFLMGDAO....the power button failed on my Sprint pre. It also had the usb door crack and some mild scratches on the screen (duh, it was an opening day pre after 7 months). The techs said that they couldn't replace my device because the usb crack led them to believe I abused the device. I told them to go on precentral and read about all the others with the same issue. They said $100 to get a refurbished device. I said F.U.

I went down the street to Vz. At the time the Pre+ was fairly new so I had to pay all of $150 to walk out the door with a brand new device, with more memory and better reception vs. getting a refurb, with less memory and crappy sprint reception.

My only wish is that I had gone to Vz sooner.
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    That's weird, I'm in the NW suburbs of Chicago and Sprint has the best reception of any company I have tried (never been on VZ though, but I can't imagine having better reception than Sprint). Plus it's the cheapest plan I could find by far.
    Verizon has slightly better reception in some places then Sprint around here, luckily I don't frequent those areas anyway, and the marginally increased reception doesn't make the much... much larger bill worth it to me.

Oh yeah, and we have 1.4.5
    Well I just called Sprint and told them about my phone acting up which has the USB crack starting and a crappy slider. Basically I complained about being on my 3rd or 4th pre because I pretty much lost count and said I would like a replacement without having to go to the Sprint Store who pretty much doubts anything I say and blames me for everything. I got transferred to some department called Multiple Exchanged Phones Dept and they ordered me a refurb Pre on the spot without me having telling them what was wrong with this current Pre and not even having to leave home. Said it would be here in a couple days and I don't even have to leave my house except to return the old Pre back which comes with a kit and label to ship back. So basically anyone out there who is on their 3rd or 4th Pre call in and Sprint will take care of everything for you over the phone and get you a replacement. I LOVE SPRINT!!!
    Last edited by Thrasherx2k1; 09/13/2010 at 11:11 PM.
    Pre with usb port crack - Sprint is replacing no problem. If that's the case - it's about time. :-D
    I ran over mine with my power seat, it slipped off the console, and it had two deep gouges across the front and the touchscreen stopped working and Sprint replaced it for free, I credited the dimly lit repair center.
    I am one of many whose Pre cracked near the usb port. I had been living with it for over year because the crack is more on the side and has not spread onto the screen (yet). But out of nowhere (i.e. no drops or pressure) my power button stopped functioning! Sure, I could open the slider slightly to turn it on but then I'd have to wait for it to time out for the screen to shut off. I ended up decreasing the timeout to something like 30 seconds ... ridiculous. But I digress ....

So I take it in to my local store to have the button repaired. And what did they say??? You guessed it: "Sorry - you ordinarily would be covered under your protection plan, but Sprint won't take the phone back with the crack." :-/ I tried explaining that this is DESIGN FLAW of the phone and the customer (especially a long-time loyal one such as myself) should not be penalized. I didn't have the luck that gonk24 had, so I called Sprint to plead my case ... then Palm .... then back to Sprint, except I was not letting the young lady off the phone! I explained that I originally brought my phone into the store in July '09 and that I found it hard to believe that Sprint doesn't see this as an issue. She found it documented in her system as an issue as of September '09, but unfortunately I am now out of warranty .... so basically I am a victim of buying the phone to early. * Grrr! * I told her that it was actually because of customers like me that Sprint even knows it's an issue and that that should be taken into account. She finally brought her supervisor in who agreed to "meet me halfway" and credit my account $50 once I submitted the claim. Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I still didn't think I needed to pay even that! That was three weeks ago and I haven't replaced it yet, mostly because I discovered the power button will work if I press reeeeally hard and why should I pay ANYTHING just to have it happen again???

So here I am now with a different outlook on the situation. I'll go ahead and pay the $50 deductible ... get back a new (or most likely refurbished) phone ... go ahead and upgrade to the HTC EVO 4G (been a Palm user since '98 so this was a tough decision) ... and unload the returned Pre to help offset the cost of the HTC.

It was a good run .......
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    Was your phone still under warranty?
    Yes, still under warranty. We both got Pres in October last year . I'm on my third, this is her first replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigshan1911 View Post
    I am one of many whose Pre cracked near the usb port. I had been living with it for over year because the crack is more on the side and has not spread onto the screen (yet). But out of nowhere (i.e. no drops or pressure) my power button stopped functioning! Sure, I could open the slider slightly to turn it on but then I'd have to wait for it to time out for the screen to shut off. I ended up decreasing the timeout to something like 30 seconds ... ridiculous. But I digress ....

So I take it in to my local store to have the button repaired. And what did they say??? You guessed it: "Sorry - you ordinarily would be covered under your protection plan, but Sprint won't take the phone back with the crack." :-/ I tried explaining that this is DESIGN FLAW of the phone and the customer (especially a long-time loyal one such as myself) should not be penalized. I didn't have the luck that gonk24 had, so I called Sprint to plead my case ... then Palm .... then back to Sprint, except I was not letting the young lady off the phone! I explained that I originally brought my phone into the store in July '09 and that I found it hard to believe that Sprint doesn't see this as an issue. She found it documented in her system as an issue as of September '09, but unfortunately I am now out of warranty .... so basically I am a victim of buying the phone to early. * Grrr! * I told her that it was actually because of customers like me that Sprint even knows it's an issue and that that should be taken into account. She finally brought her supervisor in who agreed to "meet me halfway" and credit my account $50 once I submitted the claim. Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I still didn't think I needed to pay even that! That was three weeks ago and I haven't replaced it yet, mostly because I discovered the power button will work if I press reeeeally hard and why should I pay ANYTHING just to have it happen again???

So here I am now with a different outlook on the situation. I'll go ahead and pay the $50 deductible ... get back a new (or most likely refurbished) phone ... go ahead and upgrade to the HTC EVO 4G (been a Palm user since '98 so this was a tough decision) ... and unload the returned Pre to help offset the cost of the HTC.

It was a good run .......
    I'll give ya $50 for the refurb Pre hehe
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    @gonk24, Thanks for posting! I've had the USB crack for several months, and have had the phone for 11 months. I'll drop by the Sprint store this week and see if I can get a new one before my year is up. If not, I'm no worse off than when I walked in the door, right?
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    my pre s sticking and at times won't open, also the otterbox xase doesn't grip the phone anymore.