Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    Since it takes the Pre SO long to reset after a battery pull, I'm wondering what pulling the battery does on top of internal resets (e.g. luna reset).

Anyone know?
    Hi,

never ever do a battery pull on a running pre if you are not forced to do it!!
    In priniciple as far as I know a battery pull differs from reset insofar, as the modem chip
    having the telephone, gps an UMTS/EVDO transmitters is starting new, while a reset just
    starts the CPU with webOS new.
    To get that result do a switchoff, pull battery, insert battery and start new.

When You pull battery in running system, the webOS (more exactly the underlying linux) has to do a check on the filesystems to be shure they are not corrupted.
    That is taking so long. (Besides that a webOS restart takes long in itself, but I assume You are not talking about that).

Again be aware that pulling battery e.g. while heavy file transfer takes place can corrupt the filesystem even to an unrecoverable state.

Regards Ralf
    Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    Yeah, I know if the Pre is running a battery pull is not a good thing. Just curious as I was sitting on the phone with the nice folks at Sprint trying to get picturemail working. Had to doctor my Pre (due to overclocking), and got everything back in order except that.

They (Sprint) have had me wipe the phone twice, and picturemail still not working. Everything else is fine. Odd.

Anyway, in talking with them, I just kinda wondered what the difference in resets was. They had no idea, so I thought I'd ask here. Thanks!
    I was wondering the same. Thanks for the info!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMacs View Post
    Since it takes the Pre SO long to reset after a battery pull, I'm wondering what pulling the battery does on top of internal resets (e.g. luna reset).

Anyone know?
    From my understanding a battery pull allows any lingering voltage to be discharged from the capacitors in the device to allow for a clean boot.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    From my understanding a battery pull allows any lingering voltage to be discharged from the capacitors in the device to allow for a clean boot.
    exactly. hit the power button a few times for good measure as well while the battery is out.
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    Yup just like power cycling other electronics.... pulling battery instead of pulling power cord....

@OP, are you able to receive pics? Also are you able to upload to mobile sites? Just curious, thinking it's a setting in the phone messing up your picture mail
    Sometimes the whole system freezes up on me, where it won't respond to either orang+sym+R or holding the power button down. In this case, pulling the battery seems to be the only way to get it going again.

Is there another alternative?
    Technically there should be no difference between turning the phone off and pulling the battery. Obviously if something should be designed wrong that could not be the case.

You have two types of memory, that which is found in a hard drive, and RAM. When the device is powered off, the Hard Driver memory does not change, while the RAM (which requires constant current to retain its memory) is cleared.

These two pieces of hardware impact how a new boot operates, pulling information from the Hard Drive to do a clean boot, and anything remaining in the RAM impacting memory calls from there on.

However whenever you shut down the phone it should stop using the battery for internal components, namely the RAM, which'll clear it anyway.

It's similar to computers, reboot if your having a problem, if that didn't work do a cold boot. There's no reason to unplug it from the outlet or remove a laptop's battery.

I expect a battery pull does the same thing as a shutdown, but one person tried it as a suggestion and it spread like wildfire.
    I've never had any problems doing a hard reset(Batt Pull) :O Hard reset however does my phone good, like when it's feeling sluggish ~ and freezes because of glitches cause by the unknown. Sometimes nothing else work to restart the phone ~ not even orange/gray + sym + R. Forget about the power button in some cases, that's hopeless.(When the phone freezes) I think each device vary when it comes to a batt pull/hard reset. (Just my two cents)
    Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    OldSkoolVWLover - short version is no, can't send/receive picturemail.

Little longer version is... had to Doctor my Pre after getting stuck in infinite boot loop due to overclocking (probably). Everything went fine, except picturemail. I too thought it was a setting or something Sprint could fix.

Bunch of calls to them, and 2 more clean wipes of my Pre, and I'm worse off, 'cause now I cannot 'establish a data connection'. This started while on the phone with Sprint, so I'm totally blaming them, but of course they're claiming innocence.
    Ewwww, sorry I've got no ideas for ya.
    Electronics are affected by lots of outside sources such as static. Anytime static builds up, it can cause the circuitry running in any electronic device to disrupt the flow of electrons in the microprocessors and cause a circuit to act the wrong way. Also, the electronics can fire to the wrong location as well. Nothing is perfect all of the time. In the Pre's case, I'm sure we have all seen that there is a point where a soft reset is not good enough. For me, my phone simply turned off on its own the other day and when I held down the power button, it wouldn't turn on. I had to pull the battery to resolve the issue.

Pulling the battery will discharge any circuits to Zero voltage and give you a clean discharged device. Resetting any electronic device is good every once in a while. Any laptop computer should at least be soft reset once a week, and a battery pull should be done as necessary (only if you are not seeing normal operation). On a desktop computer, same goes for a soft reset, and pulling the power cord out the back for approx. 30 seconds will discharge all circuitry. Like stated earlier by someone else on this thread, battery pulls should only be done with the device off first, but if you can't turn the thing off, then pull the battery.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.