1.    #1  
    Hello Everyone,

I have been trying to do what I thought should be simple...update mp3 embedded album art.

I placed some mp3s onto my pre in the music folder (via drag and drop when pre was in usb mode) and then realized that a few of them did not have the album art to display in the music player/ music player remix or had album art that I wished to change.

I changed the art (or added it) with media monkey, verified the art was changed on my computer, then did a simple drag and drop of the new files into my music folder on my pre (while in usb mode). I then verified that the mp3 was on my pre with the correct artwork via windows.

When I then disconnected and restarted my pre if the song had no album art originally then it still did not and if I updated the songs album art only the original showed.

i then connected my pre in usb mode and saw that under windows, my songs on the pre had the correct art! So I decided to delete my songs, restart my pre, reconnect my pre in usb mode, and then load the song onto my pre in the now empty music folder.... when I started up the music player the original album art, not the updated, was there!

at this point I think that the pre is saving my album art somewhere else on the device. I do not know if there is a way to have the pre rescan the embedded pictures or to wipe its memory of the old pictured.

BTW all of my pictures are embedded in the mp3.

I have searched multiple sites for an embarrassingly long amount of time and short of Dr.ing my phone I have come up with no solutions.... can anyone help me with this? Please?

-Daikon
    Last edited by daikon; 09/13/2010 at 09:36 PM. Reason: CHANGED POST TO REFLECT SOLVED
    I use MP3Tag, Mp3tag - the universal Tag Editor (ID3v2, MP4, OGG, FLAC, ...)

Some will swear by MediaMonkey, but that's bloatware if all you want to do is properly tag your MP3z.
    Last edited by NachoB; 09/20/2010 at 07:14 AM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  3.    #3  
    I appreciate that advice but I can get tags onto the mp3s- the problem is having the pre recognize that the mp3 art has been updated. It continues to display the old art unless no art existed in which case it will not display any art...even after it has been added.
    I hope someone figures this out, because I'm having a similar problem.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daikon View Post
    I appreciate that advice but I can get tags onto the mp3s- the problem is having the pre recognize that the mp3 art has been updated. It continues to display the old art unless no art existed in which case it will not display any art...even after it has been added.
    When adding album art, again, to an mp3, MP3Tag will ask if you want to keep the current art, just answer no, and the album art will be replaced.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

Palm Pre wallpapers
  6.    #6  
    thank you again, but, my problem is not embedding new art.

I can embed new art and my computer and other mp3 players recognize this.

my problem is that my sprint pre (-) does not recognize that the art has been updated, in fact I think that it must store the original art somewhere and continues to use that.

I think that because even after a file has ben deleted, then the phone restarted, then a mp3 added with new art, the old art still shows.
    I've never had this happen with embedded art for music files.

Did you try the method NachoB suggested? He really knows the Pre.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    i jus started doing this as well and sorry but i have 2 go with mediamonkey. well that with a combination of a small program called album art downloader
    THE CHAMP IS HERE!!
    Quote Originally Posted by daikon View Post
    thank you again, but, my problem is not embedding new art.

I can embed new art and my computer and other mp3 players recognize this.

my problem is that my sprint pre (-) does not recognize that the art has been updated, in fact I think that it must store the original art somewhere and continues to use that.

I think that because even after a file has ben deleted, then the phone restarted, then a mp3 added with new art, the old art still shows.
    Does the file you're deleting already have album art embedded in it? If you simply add album art to a file that already has album art the original art will show. You need to first remove all album art then add the art you want. Which is why I said to answer no when MP3Tag asked if you wanted to keep the already embedded album art. An mp3 file can have more than one embedded picture.
    Last edited by NachoB; 09/20/2010 at 07:13 AM.

Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Does the file you're deleting already have album art embedded in it? If you simply add album art to a file that already has album art the original art will show. You need to first remove all album art then add the art you want. Which is why I said to answer no when MP3Tag asked if you wanted to keep the already embedded album art. An mp3 file can have more than one embedded picture.
    Just to confirm this. I just downloaded Mp3Tag and used it to update album art of an mp3 on my Pre by using Remove Cover then Add Cover. No problem.
  11.    #11  
    Problem Solved! Thank you NachoB!

I would have written last night but I had to turn in early... NachoB i misunderstood what you were recommending for me to do until you clarified with your second post. Thank you

mksand28 I was thinking your way until I ran into a file that Media Monkey would not fix for me~give Mp3tag a try!

For anyone who stumbles across this same issue here is the solution.

If using Media Monkey:

1) view the properties of the mp3 and remove any images other than the one you wish to see.

If using Mp3tag

1) either strip the mp3 of its image then add the one you desire or
    2) replace the image with the one you desire and if you are asked if you wish to keep the original art choose no

If the pre refuses to acknowledge a track name, album name, art, etc.

1) launch Mp3tag
    2) navigate to the mp3
    3) right click the file and remove the tag
    4) re-tag the file completely
    5) save

I hope this helps people down the line who encounter the same issue as me!

Thank you to all who contributed to this thread with a special thanks to NachoB, Grover, and the number 8.

-Daikon
    i have this same problem.. though i am able to add the images.. using Mp3tag.. and it will display the new images.. on every music player.. except for my Philips GoGear player.... i cannot clear the old images! it is like with the Windows Media player.. when the tags are changed.. it stores the old data.. until it is removed from the stored playlist.. but i cannot figure out a way to clear the data from this GoGear player! i even deleted all the media files.. and folders.. and re-loaded them all.. but it still retains the old images.... i deleted the playlist files too.... if i connect the MP3 player to the computer.. and select one of those songs.. it will display the correct images.. while using any music player on the computer.... the problem only occurs with the Philips GoGear player.... PleaseHELP!
    well.. i was able to get it working.. yeah! i right-clicked on the internal memory icon.. which had an option to re-format the drive... and the internally stored album art is gone now.. after i re-loaded all of my data.. again!
    Battery pull works every time for me