Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys, I'm just making an observation, and I'm welcoming comments.

    I was on contract this past week, and one of the technicians was an iPhone fanatic. And he saw me plugging in my touchstone, and he said, 'Ah, you have the Palm Pre.' with a tone like, 'Ah, you poor thing. How you must suffer.' and he asked how soon I'd be getting an iPhone, and right away, I said how much I loved it, and he laughed and a I said the two things I love the most are multitasking and the hardware keyboard.

    He told me that the iPhone has multitasking. I said only the iPhone 4 and he said, no, the regular iPhone now has multitasking. And I said I like the way that the Pre multitasks, and I like the keyboard. He asked why and I just said that I just did, and then we had to get to work.

    But then I started thinking about it. Why do I like a hardware keyboard? WebOS devices are obviously getting a software keyboard. And I LOVE my My Home Keyboard app. (Go buy it now, it's awesome!) So what exactly is it that I love about the Hardware keyboard.

    And today, it struck me. There are three reasons.

    a) I do a LOT of text input. With a software keyboard, I have to keep my thumbs hovering over the keys, with a hardware keyboard, I can rest my thumbs on the keys for as long as I like. If I'm jotting something down quickly, it's not an issue. I've I'm on it for a half hour, it's a BIG issue.

    b) A hardware keyboard keeps the whole screen free. I'm able to see more text. When you're writing lots of text, portrait is always better than landscape (I have a monitor for my desktop that does portrait and I'm using it now, can't live without it) More screen when writing means more text. And that's just better.

    c) Any software can use it at anytime. You don't have to worry about a program being coded to be able to use the version of software keyboard that you like. It can be used by any program, at anytime. Programmers can rely on it working the same way, every time.

    So that's my observation. I know that software keyboard WebOS devices are on the way, and they should be. The market obviously demands them, but, I think there will always be a market for hardware keyboards for those of us who input lots of text, I'd like to see the hardware keyboard remain as an option. Even for the impending WebOS tablet.

    Just my two cents.
  2. #2  
    and you dont have to look as much with a hardware keyboard
  3. #3  
    I think... No, I know it's the best keyboard. I can't imagine a phone without one. Heck no.
  4. #4  
    I had a Pre, sold it. Went to the Evo, and now i'm back to Pre. WebOS plus a physical keyboard is heaven IMO.
  5. shattuck's Avatar
    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    #5  
    I too love a physical keyboard, but I can't say that I love the keyboard on the Pre. I could really whip out the emails on my blackberries. However, this keyboard drives me nuts. Every sentence has letter that fail to appear due to the keyboard not recognizing the press. I is so much more taxing to write on this thing. ( I am writing this on it and I think I need to take a nap now)
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by shattuck View Post
    I too love a physical keyboard, but I can't say that I love the keyboard on the Pre. I could really whip out the emails on my blackberries. However, this keyboard drives me nuts. Every sentence has letter that fail to appear due to the keyboard not recognizing the press. I is so much more taxing to write on this thing. ( I am writing this on it and I think I need to take a nap now)
    Then you have a hardware problem. I never have problems w/ unresponsive keys. I may press the key next to it by mistake, but I never have the text not entering if I make even a light tap.
  7. #7  
    Prefer the hardware keyboard, but having both would be nice.
    My device history:

    - Jim J.

    (On Sprint for many years)
  8. #8  
    i'm actually pretty into the pre's keyboard. i can type pretty well without looking down from the screen, and anyting bigger just feels weird. like i'm doing some kind of crazy bass player finger stretching to hit keys.

    the vkb option is nice though for when i'm running and have my pre in my old iPod armband and i need to respond to a messages.
  9. #9  
    I had an instinct with a VKB and hated it, but that might be a bad example given that it was an instinct. I'm still a bigger fan of physical keyboards though since I can feel the individual buttons instead of having to look and hope i hit the right one.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by igobytony View Post
    i'm actually pretty into the pre's keyboard. i can type pretty well without looking down from the screen, and anyting bigger just feels weird. like i'm doing some kind of crazy bass player finger stretching to hit keys.

    the vkb option is nice though for when i'm running and have my pre in my old iPod armband and i need to respond to a messages.
    I'm with you vkb is a nice option, but not as the only input method.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by igobytony View Post
    i'm actually pretty into the pre's keyboard. i can type pretty well without looking down from the screen, and anyting bigger just feels weird. like i'm doing some kind of crazy bass player finger stretching to hit keys.
    Hilarious analogy.

    Often observed this strange behaviour but never heard it described that way before.
  12.    #12  
    I love my Pre, but I've heard hints that the next phone will have bigger better keys, and I'm so ready. The Pre's keys are surprisingly manageable, but if I'm surprised that they are manageable, it means that just looking at them, they don't look manageable at all.

    And I have dainty fingers.

    And I'm proud of it.
  13. #13  
    Only one drawback- if you need to type on language that is not english.
  14.    #14  
    Very true.
  15. Mike77's Avatar
    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    #15  
    Hardware keyboard all the way. Had a Centro before this, was an easy switchover. Also much easier to type when driving, which of course you shouldn't do but it happens.
  16. debest's Avatar
    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    #16  
    had a blackberry tour before my pre+. the keyboard on the tour was sooooo good. With the pre+, I like being able to start just typing to have applications or contacts start popping up; such a nice feature.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    I love my Pre, but I've heard hints that the next phone will have bigger better keys, and I'm so ready. The Pre's keys are surprisingly manageable, but if I'm surprised that they are manageable, it means that just looking at them, they don't look manageable at all.

    And I have dainty fingers.

    And I'm proud of it.
    I don't. While the Treo's keyboard was perfect, I find that on the Pre if I don't actually type with the edge of my finger (or the fingernail) that I make a lot of mistakes. A keyboard that's just slightly larger would be welcome.

    I always keep my keyboard open, and probably would have gone with the Pixi if it were functionally equivalent. (I liked the Treo's form factor, including the 5-way control, which I miss.)
  18. jkeitz's Avatar
    Posts
    318 Posts
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    #18  
    I love the Pre keyboard. I read all about how small it was before I bought it, but then I brought my Treo 755 into a Sprint store and compared. The keyboards were identical, so I had no problem switching. About the only trouble I had was that a few of the function keystrokes are slightly different on the Pre, but now I'm used to them.

    You couldn't pay me to use an iPhone after using the Pre!
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeitz View Post
    I love the Pre keyboard. I read all about how small it was before I bought it, but then I brought my Treo 755 into a Sprint store and compared. The keyboards were identical, so I had no problem switching. About the only trouble I had was that a few of the function keystrokes are slightly different on the Pre, but now I'm used to them.

    You couldn't pay me to use an iPhone after using the Pre!
    Wow! The keys on the Treo were more raised and there was more space in between the keys. In addition, the keys are in a depression so you also hit the ridge and need to angle your fingers different or use your nail whenever your pressing the keys near the edge Q & A.

    Don't get me wrong, I like a keyboard as opposed to no keyboard, but the Treo keyboard was easier to use. Also, I'm usually more accurate when I'm sitting and stationary. Unfortunately, I do most of my daily keyboarding when I'm at the gym on cardio machines.
  20.    #20  
    Yeah I have to admit, I don't love the Pre's keyboard. And when I go back to my Centro, I really notice the difference.

    I don't hate the Pre Keyboard, but I'm really looking forward to the next phone and what the keyboard will be like...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions