Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    FIRST AND FOREMOST...this is not a thread to bash or complain abot the Pre. I simply noticed something and was wondering if anyone understood the Pre's screen well enough to help me understand something...

I was looking at my Pre screen in direct sunlight and noticed that the screen has these grid-looking pixels that go 7 across the screen. It seems to me that the screen doesn't respond to finger movement until the current from the finger is sensed from one "pixel" to another. Because of the space between the pixles, it takes a little time between sliding until the screen responds. To test this, I held my phone at angle to I could see where the pixles were, and sure enough the screen didn't respond to my finger sliding until it cleared the distance between two pixles.

I've checked the screens of other phones and none of them have these screen pixels that are spaced apart like the Pre's, and the screens on those devices respond much faster to touch (HTC Hero and iPhone).

Does this mean that the Pre will always have have a dragging lag, even with 2.0 hardware acceleration that is supposed to make things smoother? Will we have to wait for the new Pre for smoother scrolling or can this be corrected by software.

(BTW....I am aware of the drag radius patch and there is still a delay between the dragging of my finger and screen response.)
    Last edited by jrdatrackstar; 09/12/2010 at 10:06 AM.
    Straight from Wikipedia:

The Pre features a 3.1-inch capacitive touchscreen over a 24-bit color 320480 resolution HVGA liquid-crystal display. The touchscreen allows for manipulation of the UI with fingers instead of a stylus, commonly used with older Palm phones and PDAs. Below the display is the "Gesture Area", a touch-sensitive area with LED underlighting that permits additional touch commands.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    One thing to note is the pixels radius stock is set to 25 which means you need to move/drag your fingers that far in order to register a dragging movement, to reduce and make a lot more sensitive download one of the patches in preware called "reduce drag radius 8" or " reduce drag radius to 10" or "reduce drag radius 15".

Makes the screen a lot more responsive

Edit: some people modified the patch to have it reduces down to 5pixels because that's what some of the other phones are set to
    +1.. I use the reduce drag radius 10 patch. Makes it much more responsive.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by djgardn2 View Post
    One thing to note is the pixels radius stock is set to 25 which means you need to move/drag your fingers that far in order to register a dragging movement, to reduce and make a lot more sensitive download one of the patches in preware called "reduce drag radius 8" or " reduce drag radius to 10" or "reduce drag radius 15".

Makes the screen a lot more responsive

Edit: some people modified the patch to have it reduces down to 5pixels because that's what some of the other phones are set to
    So...which patch would be the best to use? I used the 8px radius drag reduction (assuming the lower number would mean a more responsive screen if it is set to 25 by default). I didn't really notice a difference.

For example....if I drag my finger on the volume slider in the "sounds and ringtones" application (wih the 8px radius installed) it will still take just as long for the scroller to respond to my dragging as I does with it set to 25.
    Yes, 8px would make it the most sensitive best way to relize how much of an improvement is to open precentral mobile site up (because there is lines spacing out each article) then tap and hold your finger in one spot (not moving yet) right next or ontop of a line then slowly drag up, stop once screen moves (notice how far you had to move) then remove the patch back to default 25px and repeat, you will notice the difference.

Also to note that it implies that it's really 8squared so 64, and 10 would be 100, and if you reduced down to 5 it would be 25 (when it breaks down into the coding aspect of it)
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by djgardn2 View Post
    Yes, 8px would make it the most sensitive best way to relize how much of an improvement is to open precentral mobile site up (because there is lines spacing out each article) then tap and hold your finger in one spot (not moving yet) right next or on top of a line then slowly drag up, stop once screen moves (notice how far you had to move) then remove the patch back to default 25px and repeat, you will notice the difference.

Also to note that it implies that it's really 8squared so 64, and 10 would be 100, and if you reduced down to 5 it would be 25 (when it breaks down into the coding aspect of it)
    Wait...so you just said the drag radius is already set to to 5 because the drag radius is 25 (square root of 25 is 5), correct?

I have the 8px patch installed and still don't notice a difference in scrolling, especially on slider bars and the launcher pages. I also tested it on games and the screen still takes a while to respond to my finger movement in games like NOVA and Modern Sandstorm.
    I'm not sure on the specifics, but from my understanding phones that utilize screens made of glass are more responsive than plastic. I don't think its due to materials but rather the technologies that are used in them. The Pre needs to be plastic in order to give it the unibody design.
    Other phone do use the same gridlike design, it's just not as easy to see and with the 8px patch, my phone is sometimes too responsive.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    A: lack of gpu use != buttery smoothness
    i'm amazed that anyone who has tried a reduce drag radius patch is reporting no difference. amazed isn't really the word, i guess. i straight up just don't believe it. unless there is something wrong with their phone, i just don't believe they aren't seeing a difference.

not trying to be a jerk or anyting, it's just that from what i've found, the difference is undeniable.

mine seemed almost too responsive with the 8x patch at first too, but i got used to it. 5x was just too much for me.
    looks like someone needs to make a youtube video
  13.    #13  
    Ok....so I just installed the 10px patch and it made a difference now. I wonder why the 8px patch made no difference for me? I may try again and see if it works.

and stung...its been onfirmed that GPU use will be in 2.0 as you said right? Or are we still only confrimed for CSS Transforms and no menu scrolling. From whati understand, the things they mention on pertain to window transitions and ard animations. But for scrolling in the launcher menu and what not, that will remain choppy no matter what.
    Correct me if im wrong. Isnt the grid like thing the digitizer?
    Current: Palm Pre 2
    History: [Palm] Pre Plus - [IOS] iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G - [Blackberry] Pearl 8120, Storm 9530, Bold 9000, Bold 9700, Torch 9800 - [WP7] HTC HD7S - [WM] HTC Fuze - [Android] HTC Aria
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdatrackstar View Post
    and stung...its been onfirmed that GPU use will be in 2.0 as you said right? Or are we still only confrimed for CSS Transforms and no menu scrolling. From whati understand, the things they mention on pertain to window transitions and ard animations. But for scrolling in the launcher menu and what not, that will remain choppy no matter what.
    Yup GPU confirmed for 2.0. CVR says smooth as butter.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    Yup GPU confirmed for 2.0. CVR says smooth as butter.
    So does that mean they used these drag radius patches then or something else?
    Beats me. I have no idea how what elements have been modified or retooled to be able to utilize GPU acceleration.
    Made a mistake in a prior post. It wasn't CVR who confirmed, it was Modular.
  19.    #19  
    Oh ok. Wish they could give us a preview video of it or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdatrackstar View Post
    Wait...so you just said the drag radius is already set to to 5 because the drag radius is 25 (square root of 25 is 5), correct?

I have the 8px patch installed and still don't notice a difference in scrolling, especially on slider bars and the launcher pages. I also tested it on games and the screen still takes a while to respond to my finger movement in games like NOVA and Modern Sandstorm.
    default would be set at 25 which means you square 25 that would equal 625; now for 8pixel you take 8 and square that and it equals 64 see the kinda big difference. Sorry if I was not clear before
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast