Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    my Pre Plus doesn't have this issue, well it's not the best responsive screen compare to my wife's Incredible or my friend's Iphone 4, but it's ok. It works and I know how to work it properly. Hoever, after I saw this thread and I tried on 8px patch, OMG, unfortunately that patch made my Pre Plus extremely unresponsive. I can't work on my Pre with that patch on it. Maybe there's something wrong with my phone but I had to took that patch out right away.
    A lot of people have tested with the various options and 10pixel patch would be the sweet spot, but some say that the 15pixel patch is the way to go if you touch your screen lightly all the time instead of a good solid tap.
    yeah, the lower number drag radius patches are kind of weird at first. before i got used to it, i used to have a lot of problems with my phone confusing a short scroll and a tap. i'm addicted now. i haven't tried 5x yet, but maybe i will...
    The problem that can be created by decreasing the drag threshold is that taps can be misinterpreted as tap-drag—which means they don't register as a button or icon press—and it's a personal thing because it depends a lot on your tapping style, fingers, and precision.

I'm guessing Palm set the default to 25 pixels to avoid almost all instances of a missed tap, but as you've experienced they probably took it too far down that end of the continuum.

I've found the launch button is a good test for this. If it doesn't register for you every single time, try increasing the radius. 12 pixels was the sweet spot in my case.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by djgardn2 View Post
    default would be set at 25 which means you square 25 that would equal 625; now for 8pixel you take 8 and square that and it equals 64 see the kinda big difference. Sorry if I was not clear before
    Oh it's cool thanks. But why is it that the 8px patch doesn't work, but the 10px patch does work for me? When I have the 8px installed the dragging of sliders is the same as the 25px (same for 15px). But when I use the 10px patch it responds instantly to my scrolling. I would love to make it more responsive with the 8px, but I guess I'll have to stay with 10px.
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    Made a mistake in a prior post. It wasn't CVR who confirmed, it was Modular.
    Thanks for that. Missed that posting, but it's really good news from a reliable source.

Quote Originally Posted by jrdatrackstar View Post
    Oh it's cool thanks. But why is it that the 8px patch doesn't work, but the 10px patch does work for me? When I have the 8px installed the dragging of sliders is the same as the 25px (same for 15px). But when I use the 10px patch it responds instantly to my scrolling. I would love to make it more responsive with the 8px, but I guess I'll have to stay with 10px.
    I think that it comes down to touch technique. The lower drag radii require a lighter touch, which probably translates to the area of the touch. ie a heavy handed approach results in a large touch area which can be intrerpretted as a drag. That's my theory anyway.

The answer of course is for Palm to ship with 25 as the default but provide a preference setting for drag radius.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Thanks for that. Missed that posting, but it's really good news from a reliable source.

I think that it comes down to touch technique. The lower drag radii require a lighter touch, which probably translates to the area of the touch. ie a heavy handed approach results in a large touch area which can be intrerpretted as a drag. That's my theory anyway.

The answer of course is for Palm to ship with 25 as the default but provide a preference setting for drag radius.
    I agree 200%....I think it's important to give users a choice when it comes to how they want to adjust usability in all areas.

Idk if Palm has made this issue a priority, but I certainly hope so because I would like to see Hardware Accelerated UI AND Smooth Scrolling in webOS 2.0 (although I seriously seriously doubt we'll get both). If they could get that right then I wouldn't even look at another device for another year if it didn't webOS stamped on it...
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Great idea. For its function to be clear to everyone it should just be a slider that says "better tapping" at one end and "better dragging" at the other.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    The 10px is the sweet spot for me. 8px was a bit too touchy.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12