1.    #1  
    Does ANYONE understand why adding functions, particularly toggles, to the top menu (i.e. data on/off, GPS on/off, Roam Only on/off) affects battery life?

EVERY TIME I add these functions, my battery life starts to fall off dramatically. I MUCH prefer having these additions to the top menu, to using the Quick System Tasks app, but I don't like the sacrifice in battery life.

Yesterday, I used my phone throughout the day, and had 70% left at 7pm. Before bed, I added the data, GPS and Roam Only on/off toggles to the drop down menu. Today, with virtually no use at all, I was down 69% by 1pm.

Now, I understand why certain functions would affect battery life, like the battery monitor that polls the battery. But wouldn't putting a toggle function on be the same as adding an app?

Am I the only one that has experienced this?

Thanks!
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    So, what patch are you using for the Device Menu? I'm going to remove the patch I've used (Device Menu Megamix) to see if it affects my battery life. I have been tearing thru battery this past few weeks, but I thought it was either the 1.4.5 (Sprint) update or the new 1GHz Uberkernel...

I'll jump back on to see if there's a difference w/out the Device Menu patch
    I have several and have noticed no significant change in my battery life.

What else do you have installed and running?
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    I noticed this with one of the "mixes" a while ago... I was getting ridiculous batter drain pretty much all the time.

Right now I'm running the Brightness slider and Flashlight as my only device menu patches, and I haven't noticed a decrease in battery life.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    The only thing that really affected my battery life was the battery percent patch. It also caused a bunch of slowness/luna restarts, but it's probably better to use now since there are overclocks available.

Beyond that, I would be sure that the toggles are actually turning off the things they say they are turning off...when I had them (I've since reduced down to noting by Roam Only cause I use the Quick System Tasks dashboard...), some of them would not change their values properly and would say off when they were on or on when they were off...
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    ]
    Yesterday, I used my phone throughout the day, and had 70% left at 7pm. Before bed, I added the data, GPS and Roam Only on/off toggles to the drop down menu. Today, with virtually no use at all, I was down 69% by 1pm.

Is it when you are using them on simply having them installed? I have several installed but never payed attention to impact on battery life since I only use them for an hour or so. My battery is really bad use battery doctor to see your battery health mine is below 50% which means when my battery is fully charged the phone is already halfway dead. I am waiting on my new battery once I get it I will install the ones you list and see if I get the same effect.
    I stopped using top bar patches because the op is correct,
    for some reason a few tb patches do effect battery life.
    which is odd.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    i had heard way back when i first started visiting this site that the battery as percent patch had battery draining issues i still use this patch though, is there any confirmation ithat it does infact decrease battery life?
    THE CHAMP IS HERE!!
    ah that does make sense...im gonna uninstall it and see if there is any difference
    THE CHAMP IS HERE!!
    I noticed this when I had Fahrenheit Temperature with Battery in Device installed. My battery life was draining about 2-4% more each hour. However I am currently using Custom Carrier String, Flashlight in Device Menu, Data in Device Menu and Show actual Battery Percent. It is most likely due to some waking up to CPU more than normally
    if you think the regular top bar patches drain the battery, try the animated top bar patch, it takes battery drain to the next level.. Imho of course..
  12.    #12  
    I am using Data, GPS and Roam Only On/Off. I did not use any of the mixes because I didn't like the combinations.

I have been using them, with GPS Off, "Roam Only" Off and Data On. I PREFER not to use Data Off, but I have started doing so, and it has made a big difference, so this may be the leak.

I do know that the temperature gauges use battery because they poll the battery every 5 minutes, and this makes sense to me. But, again, I don't understand how the mere presence of patches, that add simple, mostly redundant On/Off actions, would be a drain on the battery. If the apps that turn stuff on and of don't drain the battery, the patches shouldn't. But, it seems they do. To bad, since this is a much more elegant way of doing this.
    Last edited by pelikan3; 09/12/2010 at 11:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    if you think the regular top bar patches drain the battery, try the animated top bar patch, it takes battery drain to the next level.. Imho of course..
    Anything that uses animations will cause a battery drain.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mksand28 View Post
    i had heard way back when i first started visiting this site that the battery as percent patch had battery draining issues i still use this patch though, is there any confirmation ithat it does infact decrease battery life?
    I'd like to know this also. I've used battery as percent since it hit. May remove it for the day and see what happens, but I love seeing that number there instead of the battery icon.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I can confirm this, too. Before Uber 1Ghz, I installed some menu bar items, and saw my battery drain very quickly. I hadn't done any other changes to the phone, so I'm fairly confident it was one of the menu bar changes. Not sure which one, though. I removed them all, and am back to normal battery drain.
    I've got the 'palm' carrier string and battery percent and true battery and my lifespan has decreased, oh I think the temp one as well. So... I'm with ya. I dunno if it's worth the sacrifice.