Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. jkeitz's Avatar
    Posts
    318 Posts
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
       #1  
    In the interest of saving battery, I have been leaving location services off. I have been wondering if I need to do that. Here's my question, how exactly does location services work? I mean, if I leave location services on (but leave background data collection off) doesn't it just allow apps to access GPS data, as opposed to asking me each time? Or does this mean the GPS is humming away sucking battery even if no program has called for a location all day?

    What I'm wondering is if I leave location services on, will I use any more battery if I don't use any programs that ask for location?
  2. #2  
    I'm no good at explaining how they work, but yes,, location services and GPS do suck more battery. It is reported in several threads and I did get much better battery life by turning them off. If you have it off and want to use an app that needs it, it will ask if you want to allow the app to use it and turn it on for that session.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  3. #3  
    I would like to see the battery test because if you aren't running any GPS apps way would it be using gps still.


    Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
  4. #4  
    I have ran battery tests both with GPS on and off at idle, not running any apps that use GPS of course and there is very little difference with my Pre. For me, my Pre uses a little over 1% per hour at idle.
  5. #5  
    Background data collection is in relation to google services. Its used to "improve google services"...Whatever that means. Not like google cares about webos anyway. I'll advise that you turn it off. Intially, when the GPS is searching for signal, it uses battery life, but after it establishes signal, it doesnt use as much battery until you start using an app that needs it.
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

    http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I have ran battery tests both with GPS on and off at idle, not running any apps that use GPS of course and there is very little difference with my Pre. For me, my Pre uses a little over 1% per hour at idle.
    Do you always turn off data when you're not using it?
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

    http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
  7. #7  
    Location services on, location services off....I see no difference in battery life. + I hate needing to turn them on and off. It's a smartphone and to be smart it needs it's business on. If I wanted the GPS off all the time I would have bought a Pre from Big Red.

    IMO
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Location services on, location services off....I see no difference in battery life. + I hate needing to turn them on and off. It's a smartphone and to be smart it needs it's business on. If I wanted the GPS off all the time I would have bought a Pre from Big Red.

    IMO
    I have to agree! I only turn mine off when I know I'm going to be out for the day and have no way to charge.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Do you always turn off data when you're not using it?
    I never turn off my data.
  10. #10  
    data and gps always on for me. It makes my smartphone a smartphone. It's not hard to charge when needed.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I never turn off my data.
    You must get great signal from sprint or something. I dont. My signal strength is weak when im surfing the home network. Im always roaming when im at home. I wish i had great signal when im at home, but i guess i either have to live with it or switch to verizon...
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

    http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    You must get great signal from sprint or something. I dont. My signal strength is weak when im surfing the home network. Im always roaming when im at home. I wish i had great signal when im at home, but i guess i either have to live with it or switch to verizon...
    I live in SoCal area and the signal is very good 99% of the time. I don't text a lot (maybe 10 to 15 a day), rarely get picture text's and my email is set to check my accounts every 15 minutes.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I live in SoCal area and the signal is very good 99% of the time. I don't text a lot (maybe 10 to 15 a day), rarely get picture text's and my email is set to check my accounts every 15 minutes.
    I live in a suburban area. Signal is always spotty around here. It sucks. I wanted one of those airave things, but i was told i have to pay. I always wonder why you barely ever have problems with your phone lol.
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

    http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions