Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I love my Pre. Ask my friends. Ask my family. Read my Twitter. It's obvious. I'm a launch-day Sprint owner (actually switched from Verizon JUST for the Pre), and I've been through 5 or 6 of the bad boys now, I lost count.

Regardless, I've convinced several people to buy them. Recently a friend of mine went into a Verizon store (after some gentle nudging of another friend of mine and I) to use her upgrade and get a Pre Plus.

The sales guy essentially screwed himself out of a sale...

She goes in and says she wants the Pre Plus.

He says, "Have you checked out the Droid?" And starts going through the features with her.

She says, "Yeah, but I'd like the Pre..."

He continued, "The Pre isn't a very good phone... you should get a Droid." He then pulls HIS personal Droid out and begins showing her stuff.

She goes, "I have two friends with Pres and they both really like them. And I have a friend with a Droid and he hates it..."

He said, "The Pre has a lot of software problems... (this was the point of the story my jaw dropped open, because if there is ANYTHING good about the Pre, it's WebOS... the SOFTWARE! And I know the hardware build quality of the Pre Plus' are a lot better from what I've heard and seen as well) ...you really should definitely get the Droid."

She eventually got so frustrated and fed up with the guy, she left. Homeboy lost an activation and whatever sort of commission/quota VZW employees work off of because he was so forcefully trying to convince her NOT to get a Pre.

This. Is. Ridiculous.
    The insanity must stop.
    I'm proposing we ban together as a community of WebOS believers and burn every free standing, mall kiosk, and strip mall containing a VZW down. /sarcasm
    For these reasons and the many expierences people get with the verizon stores. I HIGHLY doubt any new palm phone will ever be exclusive to verizon.
    you will find that you are not alone is being disappointed in what VZW reps say in stores. Personally, I don't go in unless it is to play with a new phone. If I have to be there, it is my policy to not talk to the reps. then I order it on line from their web site, and get support over the phone.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...=verizon+store

there are 5 or 6 more like this, so you can be comforted in knowing that many will join you with pitchforks and rakes...

btw, the mall kiosks and non-verizon stores are even worse - and so are the big-box retailers like best buy. all they do is bash palm with incorrect statements, and sell android with mindless enthusiasm. if you ask them an intelligent question, their eyes just roll into the bakc of their heads and they pass out.
    I have an interesting situation at the Verizon store about a block from my home. I purchased my Verizon launch day Pre Plus from the store and have taken several friends and family into the store to look at and purchase Palm phones. The sales people will usually try to steer us away from the Palm phone display however the lady tech that works at the store carries an over clocked Palm Pre Plus and loves to talk the phone up. She is an avid follower of pre|central and actually calls me to tell me about new patches she has discovered. Not all Verizon members are so stuck in the Droid world.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  5. AZ8
    Tell her to wait. Don't waste an upgrade on a phone VZW is phasing out. New hardware will be out soon! All these rumors....one just HAS to come true, right?! LOL

I can't wait to walk into a VZW store and tell them I want the new Palm "Roadrunner" heehee
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I'm well aware of all the horror stories about Verizon and the Pre... I know I've read a couple of those threads from start to finish.

I just wanted the world to know how utterly ridiculous that is!

And even though I know (fingers crossed) there is an immanent WebOS phone to be released, she's switching from a Blackberry that she's not particularly savvy with as it is. The Pre Plus will be a HUGE upgrade for her! Then, when WebOS 2.0 gets released, it'll make for an even better experience!
    I'm all for being proactive to promote WebOS. Come up with some ideas and we can execute them. I complained to Sprint store today about no display unit and they promised me my store will be getting one.
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    If you are good sales person, they would not recommend more than a year old tech phone to new customer when they got new and better phone is available in the store. This is a reality and you just have to accept it. If Pre2 comes out and if they are still acting like this, then it's an issue. I like my Pre but I don't recommend it to anyone that I know, unless they want something cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    If you are good sales person, they would not recommend more than a year old tech phone to new customer when they got new and better phone is available in the store. This is a reality and you just have to accept it. If Pre2 comes out and if they are still acting like this, then it's an issue. I like my Pre but I don't recommend it to anyone that I know, unless they want something cheap.

If they are a good sales person they may recommend a newer option but when they are told by the customer they are certain about what they want, they would sell it to them. This benefits the sales person by making the commission and making an EASY sale (where they didn't have to sell the customer on anything). It's a no lose for the sales person, it shows how sad things are when they would rather drive people outta the store then sell them the phone they came in to buy.

Ohhh and I spent more time in retail than a lot of cats around here have spent in any form of actual work.

BTW, are we not all agreeing everyone should stay away from VZW if they get decent Sprint signal?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
    Glad to see I'm not the only one with these experiences!

I'm up for my N-E-2 discount. Long time palm user (still nursing my Centro along) - of course I've been thinking about a Pre for a while and went right to it. BAM..sales rep couldn't start pushing Android/Droid2 on me fast enough - maybe 35.2 seconds after I picked up the Pre display model. Even his sexy blonde girlfriend happened to walk into the store and they both started working on me about how great Droid is and letting me play with her "buttons". ***? Do they get that much of a commission on those things? Almost gave into the batting eye lashes but decided I need to do some more research...

Later, went into a 2nd store.. Similiar experience. As soon as I mentioned Pre, rep jumped down my collar and hit me with two outright lies: 1, "Oh don't you know Palm doesn't exist anymore, why would you want a phone that no company is behind" and 2 "there won't be any future upgrades for that phone.."

The whole thing has left me with such a distate for Big V. Normally I've been very happy with them, but this biased heavy push for Android Uber Allis is so bad, it's insulting.
  11. AZ8
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    If they are a good sales person they may recommend a newer option but when they are told by the customer they are certain about what they want, they would sell it to them. This benefits the sales person by making the commission and making an EASY sale (where they didn't have to sell the customer on anything). It's a no lose for the sales person, it shows how sad things are when they would rather drive people outta the store then sell them the phone they came in to buy.

Ohhh and I spent more time in retail than a lot of cats around here have spent in any form of actual work.

BTW, are we not all agreeing everyone should stay away from VZW if they get decent Sprint signal?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
    Sorry, I can't agree with that statement. But I don't want to hijack this thread from the OP, i.e., VZW v Sprint signal.

A "decent" signal isn't acceptable. I prefer a "reliable" signal! Anyone can get a signal in the city. Thats a given. Beyond the city boundaries is what matters. Im always exploring the great outdoors here in Arizona. I've had signals in canyons, deep forests, a remote cabin in the mountains, middle of the desert...etc without fail. Thats the true test of any carrier.

There's no comparison!

Anyways........ back to the topic at hand!
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ8 View Post
    Sorry, I can't agree with that statement. But I don't want to hijack this thread from the OP, i.e., VZW v Sprint signal.

A "decent" signal isn't acceptable. I prefer a "reliable" signal! Anyone can get a signal in the city. Thats a given. Beyond the city boundaries is what matters. Im always exploring the great outdoors here in Arizona. I've had signals in canyons, deep forests, a remote cabin in the mountains, middle of the desert...etc without fail. Thats the true test of any carrier.

There's no comparison!

Anyways........ back to the topic at hand!
    Maybe my use of the word "decent" was not what you recognized it to be, my intended use of the word "decent" was meant to refer to those that don't have to deal with bad reception in the majority of their use when having a sprint signal. Hopefully that is clear to you now!

The reason I used the word "decent" is because as many folks know, with Sprint you roam on VZW towers for FREE, so if you have (sorry my bad for using the word once again) "decent" Sprint service where you are, maybe it is a good option... for ME and MANY others Sprint is perfect... combine that with the fact that VZW is, well VZW, if you can get the same signal with Sprint service...... why the hell not.
    I get better Sprint signal in my city then pretty much any carrier, except Verizon. But I am NOT paying the ridiculous plan pricing of Bloated Red for a slightly better signal. My fiance had Verizon that her ex got her into before I joined Sprint and she never felt better about dropping that giant bill. Not to mention her phone was less then great.

Also lets think about this, Verizon sells Android phones, Verizon "creates" policies with Google on wireless broadband. Verizon begins to push said Android (Google) phones. Anyone else see something here?
  14. AZ8
    Maybe my use of the word "decent" was not what you recognized it to be, my intended use of the word "decent" was meant to refer to those that don't have to deal with bad reception in the majority of their use when having a sprint signal. Hopefully that is clear to you now!
    The reason I used the word "decent" is because as many folks know, with Sprint you roam on VZW towers for FREE, so if you have (sorry my bad for using the word once again) "decent" Sprint service where you are, maybe it is a good option... for ME and MANY others Sprint is perfect... combine that with the fact that VZW is, well VZW, if you can get the same signal with Sprint service...... why the hell not.
    Take a deep breath! Its ok. Really. Im sorry I brought it up......

VZW works for me, so I responded.
    Take a deep breath! Its ok. Really. Im sorry I brought it up......

VZW works for me, so I responded.
    Seams like you may need to take a deep breath if you are so upset by somebody asking if someone would think of switching to sprint......... If VZW works for you, you would have 1.4.5..... etc.
    I sent my wife in the Verizon store to pay our rediculously high bill while I was @ the doughnut shop getting an iced coffee next door. When I get bacl to the store the sales rep is trying to hit on my wife. I tapped him on the shoulder and was about to ask him what he thought he was doing, but he interupted me and said and I quote, 'hey man don't **** block me'. Long story short I received 2 touchstones, 2 battery covers for them, and that's months bill on them. Oh and the rep? He was fired... After my wife kneed him in the crotch. I haven't been back since.
  17. AZ8
    Seams like you may need to take a deep breath if you are so upset by somebody asking if someone would think of switching to sprint......... If VZW works for you, you would have 1.4.5..... etc.
    Ok, I know Im new here...but seriously? Go re-read my first reply to you, which included a smiley and a wink emicon, which implied a little humor and friendliness in my response...and compare that with your response which was clearly a more hostile response......thats why I reponded with "take a breath"

Wow...sorry you're taking this so personal. Its just a cell phone.

I'll move on......
    Last edited by AZ8; 09/10/2010 at 11:09 PM.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Really, I think the whole situation is just reps selling what they know about...
    This is the honest version:
    Customer: What is good about the Pre?
    Rep: That pebble-ish thing with the swipy stuff? I haven't heard of that thing since April! Since family takes up a lot of time and I no longer feel satisfied by selling overly-hyped pieces of metal I'll just talk up the phone that I have a prompt for behind the counter. Please wait here while I update my status on facebook about a problem customer.

Wow...sorry you're taking this so personal. Its just a cell phone.

Once again, never took anything personal....

Whether it's here or in the real world, I am curious as to why people stay with VZW or ATT (including family and friends), I KNOW certain people don't get a "decent" Sprint signal in their area, but other than that, I can't imagine paying the prices people pay to VZW or ATT for the service they get (I have yet to find anywhere in my city and outlying areas where ATT has better coverage).
    Quote Originally Posted by bradenfontaine View Post
    I sent my wife in the Verizon store to pay our rediculously high bill while I was @ the doughnut shop getting an iced coffee next door. When I get bacl to the store the sales rep is trying to hit on my wife. I tapped him on the shoulder and was about to ask him what he thought he was doing, but he interupted me and said and I quote, 'hey man don't **** block me'. Long story short I received 2 touchstones, 2 battery covers for them, and that's months bill on them. Oh and the rep? He was fired... After my wife kneed him in the crotch. I haven't been back since.

Are you guys using Pixi's? I thought the VZW Pre Plus came with the back cover? Just curious, since I know VZW was selling the Pixi backs (our first 2 touchstones came in the bundle with the Pixi back).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast