Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    Curious if there is an optimal order of the steps to take reinstalling apps, restoring data, etc. after doctoring your Pre?

Have done it only a couple times, and it's s-l-o-w getting the Pre back to where it was just before I screwed it up.

Thought maybe others might have a 'best practice' when it came to preware, homebrew, patches, etc.
    I'd say there is no best practice in this area. Do what makes the most sense.

For example you can't restore data for a program that hasn't been reinstalled on the phone, etc...
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Well, I mean, the Pre's downloading all your synergy, so it's going to be slow (and your phone will probably run hot), but for me...

1) Leave the phone alone until contacts/email/calendar are synced and apps have all downloaded.
    2) Download and install Preware. Write your saved package list.
    3) Download and install Save/Restore.
    4) Open Save/Restore and restore ONLY Preware (so it will write your old saved package list).
    5) Go to Preware, open your newly rewritten saved package list and let it reinstall all your old patches and homebrew apps.
    6) THEN, go back to Save/Restore and open any apps in the restore list that need to have data restored to them (or the apps won't restore data).
    7) Finally, go ahead and hit the restore all apps button. Since you should now have ALL of your old apps (homebrew + catalog), the launcher should restore to exactly how it was before.
    8) Phone restart.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMacs View Post
    Curious if there is an optimal order of the steps to take reinstalling apps, restoring data, etc. after doctoring your Pre?

Have done it only a couple times, and it's s-l-o-w getting the Pre back to where it was just before I screwed it up.

Thought maybe others might have a 'best practice' when it came to preware, homebrew, patches, etc.
    First get preware on, then patches and kernal.(If needed) Note: Download patches, and kernal using Preware. This method work a lot better than WebosQI.(IMO) Also, you'll be able to read more info on the Patch or kernal you're installing. Ps. Download all the Patches at one time, just keep pressing later after each install patch. Save a lot of time doing this.

These are the best order of steps after doctoring?(IMO)
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Well, I mean, the Pre's downloading all your synergy, so it's going to be slow (and your phone will probably run hot), but for me...

1) Leave the phone alone until contacts/email/calendar are synced and apps have all downloaded.
    4) Open Save/Restore and restore ONLY Preware (so it will write your old saved package list).
    5) Go to Preware, open your newly rewritten saved package list and let it reinstall all your old patches and homebrew apps.
    6) THEN, go back to Save/Restore and open any apps in the restore list that need to have data restored to them (or the apps won't restore data).
    7) Finally, go ahead and hit the restore all apps button. Since you should now have ALL of your old apps (homebrew + catalog), the launcher should restore to exactly how it was before.
    8) Phone restart.
    Great steps... very helpful for newer members!
    maybe this should be "stickied" ?
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post

8) Phone restart.
    This is almost exactly what I did last weekend. Except in step 2 (bold above): not sure what you meant by this (writing your save packaged list at this point might overwrite your saved list) - I just opened preware and proceeded with step 3. Oh, and I was selective on what apps/patches to restore (didn't do the restore all). Also I'm a reset-aholic - I probably do resets after each step but I'm sure it's not necessary. YMMV.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    This is almost exactly what I did last weekend. Except in step 2 (bold above): not sure what you meant by this (writing your save packaged list at this point might overwrite your saved list) - I just opened preware and proceeded with step 3.
    It may not be necessary anymore. At this point, because you haven't used Save/Restore to restore Preware, writing your saved package list won't overwrite anything really. However, it used to be that Save/Restore could not restore the Saved Package list until you had written it once (kind of like how it will not restore some apps if you haven't opened it at least once), so that's why it was necessary to write the list before restoring the old list with Save/Restore.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM