Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1.    #1  
    Hello,

    I'm curious if anyone here knows... When you use Bluetooth to connect your Pre+ (Verizon) to a computer, does it use your 5GB Hot Spot data limit or is it using "regular" unlimited data just like using your phone?


    Gwen
  2. #2  
    I believe the bluetooth spec has a max throughput of 700kbps. That's why the wifi interface is so awesome and needs to be leveraged in webOS to transfer files to/from the phone.

    the next rev of BT will eventually support about 3mbps of throughput.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 09/10/2010 at 08:22 AM.
  3. #3  
    I believe it uses the unlimited data from the phone. I was able to use the bluetooth tether for about a week before VZW somehow disabled it. It was good while it lasted.
  4.    #4  
    I actually connected to Bluetooth to see if it was possible to transfer picture files (could not) and did not even realize my computer was ussing internet until I got a pop-up style warning on the phone that said my plan did not permit sharing an internet connection (after more than an hour). I am hoping it was not a costly mistake. My laptop runs a few internet based programs constantly when there is a connection and downloaded a great deal of data in automatic software updates. Just wondering how that data was charged - I run close to my 5 GB limit sometimes.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by monosolodoc View Post
    I believe it uses the unlimited data from the phone. I was able to use the bluetooth tether for about a week before VZW somehow disabled it. It was good while it lasted.
    i don't know why you would tether with bluetooth when the wifi method is faster and easier.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by monosolodoc View Post
    I believe it uses the unlimited data from the phone. I was able to use the bluetooth tether for about a week before VZW somehow disabled it. It was good while it lasted.
    "Somehow disabled it" huh. Why would they disable it? Heck, why would they disable it for you and not everyone else? I figure worst case if you were abusing their service they would just charge you for it. BTW, I'm sending this through my bluetooth tethered Pre+ over 3G just 'cause I can.

    FYI, I have to first turn off WiFi, then tether, otherwise I get "Auth error...Verizon...doesn't support" notification.

    "just like your rims still spin even after your car stops/ then where will you spend eternity after your heart stops huh?"
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    i don't know why you would tether with bluetooth when the wifi method is faster and easier.
    Well if the answer is that bluetooth tethering is unlimited then it wouldn't need to be faster or easier than MHS
    "just like your rims still spin even after your car stops/ then where will you spend eternity after your heart stops huh?"
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by dagumcp View Post
    Well if the answer is that bluetooth tethering is unlimited then it wouldn't need to be faster or easier than MHS
    the "limit" is from the MHS to the internet, not for the amount of data from the PC to the phone. how you connect to MHS has no impact on the amount of data the MHS passes to/from the internet.

    BTW, the "limit" goes away if you use an alternative like freetether.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    the "limit" is from the MHS to the internet, not for the amount of data from the PC to the phone. how you connect to MHS has no impact on the amount of data the MHS passes to/from the internet.

    BTW, the "limit" goes away if you use an alternative like freetether.
    Are you on VZW? I haven't seen a difinitive answer to the original question which is does bluetooth tethering over 3G count against VZW's $30/mo unlimited data plan, or the 5GB/mo Mobile Hot Spot feature?

    My statement refers specifically to this kind of bluetooth-3G tethering where the MHS app is not used. Are you stating that the MHS feature is still active, even when not using the app?
    "just like your rims still spin even after your car stops/ then where will you spend eternity after your heart stops huh?"
  10. #10  
    don't confuse how you connect with the phone with what Verizon is counting. The reason they created MHS is that it's how they identify/measure data usage from the tethered PC.

    If you don't use MHS, but instead use something like freetether, the traffic from your PC looks like regular phone traffic, which is unlimited.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    don't confuse how you connect with the phone with what Verizon is counting. The reason they created MHS is that it's how they identify/measure data usage from the tethered PC.

    If you don't use MHS, but instead use something like freetether, the traffic from your PC looks like regular phone traffic, which is unlimited.
    No confusion, just curiosity. The answer to the OP's question is YES, BLUETOOTH TETHERING DOES COUNT TOWARD 5GB/MO MHS USAGE. After tethering I checked my account and instead of "UNLIMITED MEGABYTE ALLOW" it says "MOBILE HOTSPOT 5GB/$.05MB".

    Thanks for the info.
    "just like your rims still spin even after your car stops/ then where will you spend eternity after your heart stops huh?"

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions