Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I've been saving my coin for the tablet. Funny thing is - my company will get me a laptop if I want one, but for what I do a tablet device will be much more usable. I won't be able to get them to spring for this so I figured 'heck with them' I'll get it myself! I can... not... wait! I'm a toy freak so this year is the year I buy myself presents. Whoo hooooo
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/10/2010 at 01:36 AM. Reason: typo
  2.    #22  
    haha how much do you think they'll go for? I'm thinking around 350-450?
    I'm thinking they will have a couple of price points depending upon processor power. I'd imagine they would have the price range you are saying.. but I wouldn't be shocked to see one or two up around $600-$700 either. There's going to be a glut of those things in the low price range from tons of companies, but HP is one of the only companies with the money to make a couple high-end devices along with the lower priced ones. See? Now you are getting me all excited for a tablet again. LOL
    The Fascinate will soon have an update to include Google Search as an optional in the OS.

I'm saving up for the next tablet and phone too. Its gonna be bunches of WebOS 2.0, bunches of synergy, multitasking, and newfound hardware specs. I believe that will be the combo that brings Palm back into a current competitive level.

It'll be epic....

-Gu1l7y
    "It is innocent, unless found Gu1l7y.
    The tablet simply must be a dualpack.
    A tablet-phone combi would lead to all sorts of synergy, syncing and hardware problems that would give us thread material for at least another decade!
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    I can give you my opinion as someone who switched from Android to WebOS if you like. I still have my Android phones (HTC Hero, Moto Milestone and a HTC HD2 running Froyo), which I use to experiment with new builds of android, and to be honest, compared to WebOS, Android is CLUNKY! Too many steps to do stuff, too many menus and button presses. I find myself trying to use gestures on non WebOS phones now and then realising I need to find a back option or close or something.

If you've been using Webos for a while, Android is hard to get used to, it feels like going from a Ferrari to a Ford. There's always the temptation to go for the bigger more powerful hardware, but in the end, it's the software that makes or breaks the experience, and WebOS 2.0, in terms of function and usability will be at the same level, if not better than Android.

In terms of hardware, an overclocked Pre+ at 1Ghz is beast enough for me, I've used some powerful devices and my Pre+ is up there with them, but with the advantage of WebOS! So stick with WebOS for now, Android isn't quite there yet, although with Google hiring Palm execs to work on UI, it might get there eventually!
    I still have my Sprint Pre and a German GSM Pre that I use when in Europe and keep both up to date with the latest patches and apps as well as get my Angry Birds fix, but the phone I have activated on my account right now is the Samsung EPIC in the Galaxy S series. First let me say... I soooo hope Palm drops a piece of hardware comparable to this, especially in the screen and keyboard areas. I will pay full non upgrade price for it in an instant.

But even though I am a WebOS zealot I have to be honest here. Yes, the Samsung versions of Android 2.1 totally suck in a lot of areas. But similar to the WebOS community (only not as good) there are many developers and homebrewers that make stuff to fix all those things you don't like about a stock OS. It's not as good as Preware or WOSQI but it works and can get you to a very happy place on a device such as the Galaxy S lines. There are tens of thousands of choices in the App Market, the trouble is in finding them. But if you search the forums and do your research (just like here), odds are you will find what you are looking for either free or cheap.

Currently I have my EPIC running just as smoothly as my Pre was and gained some voice capabilitie's that aren't available with my Pre. It is customized to my liking and performs well. It has me looking forward to WebOS 2.0 on hardware this good. Since I know what's possible with a sub par Android OS, I really have high expectations for Palm on the next device. I really hope they don't dissapoint us.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Ugh, I wouldn't get near the Fascinate with a 10 foot pole. The way Verizon messed it up and put Bing everywhere and won't let you choose to replace it with Google is ridiculous. Guess when you're talking about Android means it's 'open' for carriers to screw up.

It's really crazy what they did, the Google Maps App doesn't even come on the phone from what I've read - sure you can download it, but still.
    Last edited by mpfef; 09/10/2010 at 08:49 AM.
  9.    #29  
    I just thought I'd say you guys are the best
    Quote Originally Posted by mpfef View Post
    Ugh, I wouldn't get near the Fascinate with a 10 foot pole. The way Verizon messed it up and put Bing everywhere and won't let you choose to replace it with Google is ridiculous. Guess when you're talking about Android means it's 'open' for carriers to screw up.

It's really crazy what they did, the Google Maps App doesn't even come on the phone from what I've read - sure you can download it, but still.
    Root for the Fascinate is already available and the bing search fiasco will be completely rippable within days. No Biggie.

UPDATE...

http://www.androidcentral.com/get-go...ithout-rooting
    Last edited by pastorrich1; 09/10/2010 at 10:52 AM. Reason: addition
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Of course you CAN do that, but damn what a pain for the average consumer to go through just to get Google on there.

With all the Android devices out there, I can't see any reason to pick this one, even on Verizon.
    ahem. this brings up an issue.
    if a tablet, per say, were to be released for the holiday season, running to 2.0, Palm would have to allow multiple devices to run on the same palm profile, no?
    maybe that's just one other thing that 2.0 will bring : D

the fascinate does not fascinate me, sorry. i appreciate samsung, not android. the hardware is truly fascinating. the software made me puke. all over the screen. multiple times.
    i think that everything samsung makes it simply made with the utmost intelligence and preparation. like, it makes me think that they actually try to please their customers. look at their microwaves, fridges, cameras, etc. they're top notch.
    and to see them put android on their phone makes me think they, yet again, really tried with it, but it's honestly a damned OS.

would I get the phone? no. the fascinate is on verizon - hence I could upgrade from a regular pixi to pre plus : 3
    honestly, I would avoid android and will avoid it forever. not one of my android-bearing friends say good things about it. it's just a not very well connected OS. the only reason why people are buying this phone and other androids is because of. one. simple. word.
    DRRRROOOOOOOIIIIDDD
    the only android phone I'd ever get is the nexus one. but that's out. so, oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by mpfef View Post
    Of course you CAN do that, but damn what a pain for the average consumer to go through just to get Google on there.

With all the Android devices out there, I can't see any reason to pick this one, even on Verizon.
    It isn't hard (easier than getting WOSQI up and running the first time).

And I'm not advocating the Fascinate but if you are already with that carrier, it is easier than switching and the Galaxy S phones are nice pieces of hardware. Android just provides a big learning curve for the WebOS enthusiast.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Oh, I know all about Android - my primary phone from Jan-June was a Nexus One. Finally got tired of all the crap UI problems and weirdness of Android (and one of my good friends from college was evangelizing webOS pretty hard).

That's when I switched to my Pre+, and couldn't be happier.

People keep saying that Android is going to be the "Windows" of the smartphone world, I liken it more to just desktop Linux, where there are many different distros and software may or may not run on your particular flavor of Android (1.6, 2.1, 2.2, soon to be 3.0), different weird crap like Skype only being available to Verizon Android devices, etc.

Anyway, Android rant over.
    With webOS 2.0 it will definatly continue to make this phone great, a tablet is somthing im very interested in getting my hands on. I really don't know WHAT i'd use a tablet for. Im a big user of the PC, so as much as webOS 2.0 would be great on a tablet. I do have to say, not being able to do "anything", is what sways me. I need a netbook myself. But a tablet has its cool factor. Why else do people by ipad's?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12