1.    #1  
    /sigh, this is starting to get old.

A little background info first -
    I bought my Pre off Craigslist about 2 months ago from someone who got it back as a refurb after a warranty. It's been great so far, I love WebOS and love the phone's shape. I first started with the 800mhz UK, then slowly moved up to F-105. I noticed I was using WAY less voltage than most people with F-105 so I figured I'd try SR-71 to "see if I could". Well guess what. Not only can this phone run SR-71, it does it at low voltages. About the same voltages most take to run 1ghz.

In short, I have a terminator Pre that mated with Chuck Norris to make an UBERPRE. I do NOT want to trade this phone in and possibly get a "weak" pre.

So first, I had the power button stop working completely. (ok I dropped it) Sprint was kind enough to fix the power button well enough that it is at least useable if I push it down really hard. Ok, I can live with that.

Then I installed Dr Battery and did a calibration. 70% Niiiiice. So I go back to Sprint (this is maybe 5 or 6 days later) and ask if I can get my battery switched out for a new one since I'm under warranty. They return my phone with a note attached - "phone modified via software, warranty void"

I get the tech out on the floor and proceed to tear him a new one. (BTW I hid govnah, SR-71, and preware using the advanced launcher option) I informed him that changing themes and installing apps does NOT void your warranty and I asked him to point out Preware on my phone or prove it's overclocked. He can't of course, so he goes ahead and replaces my battery. (although he did go so far as to restart my phone side by side with another Pre and see what booted up first) Round 2 - me.

So today I'm at work and I notice my volume up button doesn't work at all anymore. Volume down is sketchy at best. Is there any hope or am I stuck with no volume buttons and a pre that's cabable of 1.2ghz?
    There is always hope. :-) It seems more like a hardware problem. I don't think a doc would likely fix that issue, but give it a try and see what happen. It might just fix the glitch in the volume circuit board. You don't need anyone telling you about the risk of buying things refurbish. Right? So I won't mention it. :smile.
    Note: You can try your luck contacting Palm, and tell them your problem.
    Good luck. Here is the webos link: http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    Last edited by RUSH; 09/09/2010 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Broken Link
    I'm not sure how you can be upset since you technically did void your warranty by overclocking. It's not sprint's fault that the battery you got with a Pre you bought off of Craigslist had low capacity. It wasn't Sprint's fault that the power button didn't work, and yet they were nice enough to fix it for you. Your tearing the tech a new one was completely uncalled for. The volume button issue does suck, but could possibly be attributed to the initial dropping of the phone. Not sure what you're asking for here. Possibly try to find the parts you need and fix it yourself or try to live with it. Just please don't be one of those customers that expects the world from Sprint or Palm even though you bought a refurb phone off an internet site, dropped it, and voided your warranty the minute you decided to overclock.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    I'm not sure how you can be upset since you technically did void your warranty by overclocking. It's not sprint's fault that the battery you got with a Pre you bought off of Craigslist had low capacity. It wasn't Sprint's fault that the power button didn't work, and yet they were nice enough to fix it for you. Your tearing the tech a new one was completely uncalled for. The volume button issue does suck, but could possibly be attributed to the initial dropping of the phone. Not sure what you're asking for here. Possibly try to find the parts you need and fix it yourself or try to live with it. Just please don't be one of those customers that expects the world from Sprint or Palm even though you bought a refurb phone off an internet site, dropped it, and voided your warranty the minute you decided to overclock.
    While you are technically correct, I did overclock my phone, I still have not seen ANY statement by Palm that overclocking does in fact void your warranty. Also, I hid the Kernel and Govnah, so the tech actually had no evidence of my overclocking, he just assumed that it was since my phone didn't "look stock". He even went so far as to tell me Preware voids my warranty. Thats when we actually "got into it" and I asked him to show me preware on my phone, or for that matter, anything in writing saying that says that preware voids your warranty. Of course, he could do neither. (All he had do was type G into the phone and he woulda seen Govnah... not my fault he's stupid).

Don't get high and mighty with me... I know my rights. Even though my phone IS secondhand, ALL refurbished phones still have a warranty. Mine is within the 90 days alloted. I also have TEP, so I can go that route if I want. But I don't... Because I'll get a new phone which could possibly be a weaker unit. (Almost guaranteed) If you read my post you would know this. I'll reword my question as to make it more clear for those that are having difficulty -

Is there any way to fix a broken volume button without switching out the phone for a new unit? I don't think warranty repair would be wise at this point, since I just rolled 2 claims in the last 2 weeks. Thanks.
    9KRacing,

Actually, Palm did say that overclocking you Pre may void your warranty. The warning is posted with every kernel before you install it. Search the forum and you will read it because that warning from palm was posted here.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by comiken205 View Post
    9KRacing,

Actually, Palm did say that overclocking you Pre may void your warranty. The warning is posted with every kernel before you install it. Search the forum and you will read it because that warning from palm was posted here.
    Still waiting on an official statement from Palm saying it DOES infact void your warranty.