Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 75
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    You don't need to fix something that isn't broke. Plenty of people here, myself included, didn't have a problem opening up the camera, while the music player was playing. Maybe it's something more to it than blaming the app, could be the phone's memory is bogged down and needs a reset, could be a lot of different things. The camera did kill the music when I took a picture, and was a TEENY bit slower than normal in the post picture processing, mildly annoying that I had to restart the song to get it to play again, but as far as missed photo op, not going to agree there. I have a pretty cool phone and although that IS annoying, I can live with it
    Quote Originally Posted by bradenfontaine View Post
    i just hate replys to posts like these when ppl say they dont have a problem. we didnt ask if u did. we are looking for solutions, not smart *** comments.
    Being the above poster to your post, Mr. Fontaine....I wasn't being a smart ***, I may have been posting 'matter-of-factly' but with no ill-intention. All I was trying to get across to the guy(girl) was there could be other factors with things going on inside the phone, or maybe it was the phone itself, maybe it's a firmware bug or just some random thing that happens once in awhile. (And I was also relating my experiences with the player and camera, agreeing with the OP) I hope my smiley doesn't look like it's being a smart@$$
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2˘ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  2. #42  
    I too have had problems with the camera program, and am beginning to think it's a limitation of the app's ability to handle large photo libraries, which of course it shouldn't be loading the instant the app opens. I thought there was a reason the photos app and camera app were separate icons, but it seems clear opening the camera causes it to access the photo library for some reason.

    I don't recall having an issue with the music, but I don't think I have had music playing and opened the camera app. I have indeed had the camera app load very slowly, extraordinarily slowly, at times. Then there are plenty of times it loads in a few seconds, just like all of the other apps. I've noticed the load time has progressively increased as I've added more photos, but every now and then it's like 30 seconds or more, and it seems to be a problem inversely correlated with the speed with which I need to take the shot.

    Regarding the "get a camera" posts, of course having a dedicated camera is helpful when taking photographs. The key detail here is that the original poster wasn't trying to take a picture with a camera. Being able to take pictures with your phone, a pocket-sized device you carry with you almost everywhere, is convenient. That's why it was there to take the picture in the first place. That the camera application was unreliable is the reason for this post.

    The complaint is that the software on the phone, and possibly camera-related hardware, is unreliable. That's a legitimate complaint. Suggesting it isn't legitimate by telling the poster to get a real camera is insulting, if inadvertently. I trust the OP meant no harm by mentioning the problem. It was out of exasperation. We post about problems with our phones because we can share our experiences and possibly find solutions to them, directly or by getting them noticed by Palm. We share what makes us happy too, just the same -- we want other owners to know and we want Palm to know what's a good feature, what was done well.
    Last edited by OrlandoAlex; 09/09/2010 at 07:18 PM.
    My mobile biography: Nokia 5181i & 3589i -- Motorola v60i & A630 -- Palm Treo 650, Centro, Pre Plus, MyTouch 4G Slide, Pre 2, Pre 3, Nokia Lumia 521, Veer
  3. #43  
    One thing to always keep in mind about our Pre's and Pixi's... these phones are OLD. Therefore most comparisons to competitors phones might not always be fair.

    Also, all those newer Android, Iphone, products make use of the GPU for things like this whilst everything on ours is handled completely by the CPU. Thats my guess as to why theres some laggyness and/or slowdown.

    -Gu1l7y
    "It is innocent, unless found Gu1l7y.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    ...how about considering an iPhone 4...
    Heck no, given the responses that he has gotten within this thread I would seriously consider getting an Epic 4G.
  5. #45  
    My old LG Dare had a MUCH better camera and it was much older then the Pre.
  6. xtn
    xtn is offline
    xtn's Avatar
    Posts
    434 Posts
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    #46  
    I wonder if... when geo caching is turned on... The camera app tries to request, and then waits for, a gps fix. That could cause the outrageous lag maybe.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog View Post
    Oh, you want a solution? Get up off some money and buy a real camera, Mr. As-A-Photographer.

    There you go. There's your solution. I won't even charge you for that one. See, you're that much closer to owning that camera already!
    I honestly hate this kinda response. Some of us (me and others on here) dont NEED AMAZING pictures to keep a memory. Sure some ppl like to have great pictures that are perfectly clear and pristine, but honestly, a moment is a moment. Whether the picture is slightly discolored or grainy or if its perfect, it doesnt matter to me. the picture is something i can look at in 10 years and say "haha remember that one time..."

    now that being said, if your argument of "oh just use a real camera" should hold any water, ok fine. why even have a camera on a phone? oh wait cuz ppl out there like having a simple non perfect camera availale to capture the moment. Seems like im not the only one who doesnt need professional quality.

    point being: if palm is gonna put a camera on a phone (which you need on phones these days)....just make it work. simple as that. no excuses (and i dont mean work sometimes.....make it work 99+% of the time)

    /end rant
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by gu1l7y5p4rk View Post
    One thing to always keep in mind about our Pre's and Pixi's... these phones are OLD. Therefore most comparisons to competitors phones might not always be fair.

    Also, all those newer Android, Iphone, products make use of the GPU for things like this whilst everything on ours is handled completely by the CPU. Thats my guess as to why theres some laggyness and/or slowdown.

    -Gu1l7y
    My old Sony Ericsson w595 camera is better than the Pixis camera.

    And I don't think Android uses the GPU for the os.
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    My old LG Dare had a MUCH better camera and it was much older then the Pre.
    Since you and others keep posting crap like this..... and the Pre/Pixi does so much more. Maybe the camera operated better, but I have had many a camera phone, and the pic quality wasn't better just the camera app loading may have been a lil better (then again those phones didn't multi task, I didn't have a theme, 50ish patches, etc) ohhh and some of those phones wouldn't let me open the camera app once the battery got to a certain %, even if I had battery life that would still last me hours, I would get an error stating the battery was too low to operate the camera.

    Yeah I will take my Pre..... you go a head and throw yours away or whatever you wanna do an go back to your LG Dare. Not trying to be harsh but you constantly complain about the same things multiple times in the same threads.

    As many have said, not everyone has the same problems with their cameras and/or phones in general as you do.... it is also not everyone elses fault you are on VZW where they decided to cripple your ability to use your device and have held an update from you.




    And to clarify I am not bashing anyone with problems, I gave my one suggestion I had to help a couple people that had issues in this thread. Just trying to point out some of you folks are happy to compare apples to oranges and come here and complain about your apple vs the oranges (this goes for the new tech like the brand new phones vs. a 15 month old phone, or comparing the 15 month old phone to a phone that could never do what the 15 month old phone does). If this phone doesn't fit your needs then I and many others will be happy to see you go elsewhere, I educated myself before I bought my phone and selected my carrier and I am happy with both choices, maybe you should do the same before your next purchase and signing your next contract.
  10. pomokey's Avatar
    Posts
    526 Posts
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    #50  
    uberkernel seemed to help, but I still have these same issues.

    a few time's (after it's taken it's sweet time loading) I have tried to take a picture, only for it to tell me 15 seconds later, that the picture failed. This is the worst, because it just gave me a false sense of completion, and I have moved on from whatever it was I was taking a picture of, only to find out that it didn't take a picture at all...

    so, is the camera app buggy? absolutely. anythign to fix it? uberkernel with compcache... maybe...

    and finally, no matter what app I am using, the camera app stops my music from playing. I was unaware of this until now. interesting nonetheless.
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
  11.    #51  
    Thanks everyone for replies.

    Note, of course, that the point of this thread was not to have people tell me to buy a camera - there are some moments that can't wait for you to reach into your bag for your camera, trust me.

    It was simply to express annoyance at palm and webos for not having a proper camera app when so many (older and newer) phones out there have a perfectly working one.. and to ask if anyone has any suggestions on how to mend this problem.

    As for geocaching, it's a good thought xtn, but I don't have it turned on, so it can't be from that.

    So, aside from overclocking (I am at 1GHz, UK) and using a governer program (Govnah), I guess there are no camera apps out there that work better? I'd even pay for one, at this rate.

    ~* I can't believe it's not butter! *~
  12. #52  
    I love the camera on the Pre, on rare occasion it comes up gray. But I post to my Facebook all the time and people are surprised they are from camera phone. OF course the resolution is not all that, but for a camera phone I am happy. I get some great pictures and I am a photographer with a Canon 5DM2 and various other 40D, 30D..
    I shoot video at concerts and the sounds comes through great too. I have hundred and hundreds of pictures on the phone. I have never had a "camera failed" but I have had gray screen that never came up.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by Featherman View Post
    You do know it's a phone... that takes pictures... and does a bunch of other stuff?

    I have a camera that takes great pictures... but I can't make a call on it; or do much else than take pictures.
    Let's face it. Most people carry their cell phone all the time and rarely carry their camera unless they are going somewhere where they expect to take a lot of pictures. Cell phone camera quality is always improving. These two trends tend to make the reliability of a cell phone camera more important than it was a few years ago when phone cams were just fun curiosities. So while the Pre's camera is pretty good, it also often suffers from serious lag that needs to be fixed because it's simply unrealistic to ask users to carry a camera everywhere when their phone has a perfectly usable camera.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    3 seconds for my Camera app to load. Try rebooting your phone.
    The problem with the Pre's camera is that the lag is wildly inconsistent. My camera often loads in two seconds but it will sometimes lag for up to a minute or more even when I have just rebooted my phone. The lag is simply unpredictable and can happen even if the camera is already open as a card. I'll jump to another app, leaving the camera open and go back to the camera and it will often simply freeze and need to be closed and reopened before it will work.

    I would be very interested in seeing a breakdown of the people who see this lag on their camera and those who don't. I'm on Sprint whose Pres infamously have only half as much memory as the Verizon and AT&T models. It would be interesting to see if this is a memory issue or a bug in the camera software.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    It's the best multitasking smartphone bar none....leave the camera on in the background. Done.
    I often do just that - and I still get the kind of lag that the original poster describes. The crazy thing is that it seems to be completely random. One minute, the camera is just fine and the next it's frozen.
  16. #56  
    I have the problem with my overclocked Verizon Pre+.
  17. #57  
    I've never noticed any lag. I use my real camera for important stuff, and I always have it with me. Nothing like being prepared. It's a canon and fits nicely in a cargo pocket!!
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthRepublican View Post
    Let's face it. Most people carry their cell phone all the time and rarely carry their camera unless they are going somewhere where they expect to take a lot of pictures. Cell phone camera quality is always improving. These two trends tend to make the reliability of a cell phone camera more important than it was a few years ago when phone cams were just fun curiosities. So while the Pre's camera is pretty good, it also often suffers from serious lag that needs to be fixed because it's simply unrealistic to ask users to carry a camera everywhere when their phone has a perfectly usable camera.
    Agreed. What really gets me is how the Pre's camera is not autofocusing. I like to take pics in stores to save things I want to buy, yet the pricing/text info comes out blurry because of the lack of focus. Additionally, bar code scanning for instant price comparison with the camera is an amazing feature on android and iphone. Yet we can't do this on the Pre because the camera doesn't autofocus. The lag is ridiculous too. Because of all these issues it may take me as long just to frame out one pic of a wine bottle in a store vs someone with a Droid Incredible who has just snapped up a dozen of them in perfect clarity.
  19. stlsports's Avatar
    Posts
    26 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    #59  
    Sprint pre(-). Uber 1Ghz. Same as most. Incosistent performance @ best. Infuriating @ worst! Lets all hope webOS 2.0 helps.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
  20. #60  
    I've had plenty of this issues with the camera on my phone as well, across 2 different pres (and actually, my wife has the same issues too, and she is on her 3rd pre). Leaving it open doesn't help, sometimes it never loads, sometimes it does, but it doesn't respond to me attempting to take the picture...and don't even get me started on the video recorder...I've taken a couple of videos in the past that were choppy and nearly unwatchable. I've overclocked the phone (mine and my wifes) with uberkernal/govnah, but it doesn't help any with the camera. The app needs work.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions