1.    #1  
    Hey everyone,

I have Sprint Palm Pre, and even with Uberkernal running at 500/1000 steadystate, I can't help but notice the lag that the Pre still has and has always had. It drives me nuts.

My question: If the Pre is running the same processor as iPhone 3GS and other Android phones, why is there such a lag when opening applications, particularly native apps like calendar, SMS, Email, etc.? ** The phone dialer after the major update prior to 1.4.5 has been snappier. Don't get me started on the Google Maps lag.

Is it the coding? Is it the GNU (?), or whatever it's called? Something else?

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE webOS. But I'm jealous as hell about the how snappy the apps open up on iPhones.

[EDIT]: I guess it's not the lag I'm refering to, rather the slow load time for most apps.
    Last edited by corolla90; 09/08/2010 at 05:53 PM. Reason: To clarify my question
    Hmmmm...Not sure what the answer is for you! I run 500/800 and even with a ton of apps, patches and mods, I only have a lag when charging at 500.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Soon these device will be running with dual or quad cores in them. A webOS quad-core device would be AWESOME. It won't be long.. Maybe in the next device. :-)
    haven't seen much lag here. Runn @ 1gHz constant.
    The reason the iPhone and other devices seem 'snappy' is not because of the CPU in them, how many cores, or what they are clocked at, but the amount of rendering placed upon the GPU.

For most devices the GPU is responsible for everything you see. In WebOS, unless your playing a PDK game, nothing is.

So by putting all the strain of rendering components on the the CPU (along with everything else), the system appears laggy and not quite as fluid as it would when the correct piece of hardware does the work.

JSJSJS $Transformations$ $are$ $expected$ $in$ $2$.$0$, $a$ $feature$ $which$ $is$ $Hardware$ $accelerated$, $and$ $should$ $theoretically$ $fix$ $this$ $problem$ $without$ $need$ $to$ $possibly$ $rewrite$ $large$ $pieces$ $of$ $the$ $the$ $Luna$ $Manager$ $to$ $accommodate$ $this$ $change$ $of$ $responsibility$. $Though$ $I$'$m$ $sure$ $we$'$ll$ $see$ $GPU$ $use$ $one$ $way$ $or$ $another$ $in$ $2$.$0$.

[Edit]: As far a load times for apps... just keep them open, it's much faster than opening them up again (and I don't know about you, but my Pre at 800 blows past iPhone apps when accessing the network).
    Most of the time that you see lag on sprint pre it's because your phone is running out of memory and is forced to swap to the slower flash drive.

I converted my sprint pre to a pre plus and it's a night and day difference. Slow downs are all but non-existent now.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ion-guide.html
    That could be it, using Govnah to alter the cache can also help.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    [Edit]: As far a load times for apps... just keep them open, it's much faster than opening them up again (and I don't know about you, but my Pre at 800 blows past iPhone apps when accessing the network).
    Since I'm running 500/1000 steadystate, do i risk overheating my Pre by leaving apps open? If not, then I'll definitely just leave them open. But I was afraid of overheating.

Anyhow, thanks, guys, for your replies. So it's the GPU then. Any reason why Palm chose not to place some responsibility on the GPU? Are there drawbacks?
    I find that using JStop to turn off the background services removes the lag, the only problem is then that you can't receive texts, emails, phone calls, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    using Govnah to alter the cache can also help.
    How do you do that?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)