Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    It's hard to notice people complaining about the boot times, and they are quite long, not as long with the Uberkernel and the Pre Plus. However I think the boot times are because of the crappy memory used in it. Seriously? I get 1.5MB/s read from it? It's even worse sitting at 1MB/s for the write. My jump drive from 4 years ago has a faster read/write time. I can't even imagine a program trying to access that while things are using the memory.

I believe this is one of the larger issues of why the Pre is quite slow (Other than not using the GPU for CSS and other things).
    Sprint Palm 2 - Developer Mode - 2.1.0
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Ya its certainly bad when compared to android or iOS. I have heard some reasons like because of the cryptfos but even before that it was bad. I agree that it needs to be solved whatever the culprit
    Is there any chance that boot time will be improved with webOS 2.0 ?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Is there any chance that boot time will be improved with webOS 2.0 ?
    Yea, but you can't change the read/write time on the existing memory. You're going to be stuck with whatever the Pre/Pixi have. Now opening and closing programs and other things, may be improved by GPU integration.
    Sprint Palm 2 - Developer Mode - 2.1.0
    Hewlett-Packard is sitting on a new kind of memory technology that may replace flash memory by 2013:
    HP, Hynix team on flash memory replacement | Circuit Breaker - CNET News
    The advantages have been already described on pre|central:
    http://www.precentral.net/hp-aims-su...emristors-2013
    In the mean time there are faster flash memory chips available for the next Palm device.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Seems like a ridiculous bottleneck in the hardware.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    I am OK with the boot time as long as I can view my pictures without waiting 2-3 seconds for them to focus. Even with a patch. Ridicules!
    you mean ridiculous.
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    I often wondered if Palm skimped on the Flash RAM chip(s) in the Pre. Using it in Jump drive mode proves it isn't exactly speedy...