1.    #1  
    I was reading through Rahul Sood's guest blog for Palm on Facebook, and caught this in one of his responses:

"Stay tuned as products that utilize the new features of webOS 2.0 are brought to market - both by Palm and third-party developers."

Third-party devs? Is he hinting at licensing webOS, bringing hardware from another manufacturer, say HTC, Samsung, etc? Or is he talking about products outside of the mobile computing space, like, say, toasters?
    Something tells me that he's talking about more than third-party software devs with this statement. Did I miss something? Any thoughts?
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    The webOS 2.0 SDK announced no new hardware features, so I'm sure it's just software devs.

I'm thinking you're thinking too much.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I'm also pretty sure he meant software... but only time will tell.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    The webOS 2.0 SDK announced no new hardware features, so I'm sure it's just software devs.

I'm thinking you're thinking too much.
    That doesn't mean that other manufacturers couldn't produce their own hardware for the OS. Or that the OS couldn't be put on other types of devices, as HP announced will happen.
    It's just a curious statement to me. He didn't explicitly say hardware, but "products" sounds like more than software to me.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

They have mentioned plans for incorporating webOS into other platforms, so he could be talking about anything from printers to smart refrigerators.
  6.    #6  
    Here is the paragraph I'm referencing. The entire thread can be found at Q&A with HP's Rahul Sood | Facebook

"Jason and Joe, Palm is focused on creating a brand new, world class mobile experience across a range of form factors. As you're probably aware, Palm recently announced a webOS 2.0 Developer Beta through through the Early Access Program so developers can get started on building apps that fully leverage the new platform. Stay tuned as products that utilize the new features of webOS 2.0 are brought to market - both by Palm and third-party developers. BTW, I am currently using webOS 2.0 on a daily basis, I'm very bullish about it"

He starts off talking about the wide range of form factors. The subject of the paragraph seems to shade towards the hardware side of things, even though he brings up the 2.0 SDK. Why say products "both by Palm and third-party developers"? How many apps does Palm produce? Palm produces hardware, so by teaming Palm with third-party devs in that sentence, he seems to be referencing hardware. At least to me. But I am bored and looking for any news I can get my hands on, and I am known to over-analyze things. Still...

7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    They have mentioned plans for incorporating webOS into other platforms, so he could be talking about anything from printers to smart refrigerators.
    True, but he's talking about a "mobile experience." Why make that statement if what you mean is mobile products from Palm, and other, non-mobile products from third-party devs. The more I look at it, the more my unrealistically optimistic mind sees a reference to other manufacturers creating mobile webOS devices.

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    It does sound like he meant hardware. Perhaps a follow-up question should be posted or tweeted to him...

They need to license it to other hardware manufacturers just to get a larger user base. Or they need to go ahead and release new hardware of their own for every major carrier, a netbook, and the PalmPad.
    The sentence before was:
    As you're probably aware, Palm recently announced a webOS 2.0 Developer Beta through through the Early Access Program so developers can get started on building apps that fully leverage the new platform. Stay tuned...
    So I'd say he's still talking about software
    it could easily be something like adding support by a car maker to create a webOS experience like Ford Sync.

I think it's more likely that he is taking about other products making use of being able to connect to a webOS device, rather than running webOS on other devices - at least in the smartphone world. Hard to imagine someone paying to license webOS when they can have Android for smartphones for free. However, if you want to build it in to a toaster or a car, maybe android isn't an option. dunno.

however, if they can get other companies to build stand-alone hardware like tablet, cars, watches, whatever, on webOS - that's a win for everyone.

remember, Verizon sells HP netbooks with baked in CDMA radios in their stores. It wouldn't be a huge stretch for Verizon to offer a netbook branded as Verizon, or even a Verizon-branded smartphone. They've done stuff like that before - and are now doing it with google.

I just want to see at least one Palm handset that is crazy/good enough to be called (VooDoo)Envy in the tradition of what Sood built when it was his company. I'd buy that on day 1.
    Verizon's an Android shop now...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by GUNNole View Post
    they need to license it to other hardware manufacturers just to get a larger user base. Or they need to go ahead and release new hardware of their own for every major carrier, a netbook, and the PalmPad.
    Hp is big enough to knock out a bunch of form factors at once IMO, w/o the need to license 3rd parties.
    I think the key word here is "Developers" if he was talking about hardware he'd have said "manufacturers", IMNSHO.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    There is nothing about that statement that sounds like hardware. HP/Palm have nothing to gain by allowing other companies to use WebOS. This isn't Google who collects information about their users to turn it to ad revenue. I wouldn't be surprised if Google actually taking a loss on Android.
    It sounds like it could be hardware to me, and apparently a few others. Whether or not it is, or if it makes sense, is another debate.