Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Thanks to Preware & precentral.net forums, I now have the following installed on my phone to make it go, for lack of a better word, zoom.

If you are a new Pre/Pre+ owner, do this ASAP if you are a speed freak:

1.Download & Install Preware.
    2. Through Preware, install Uberkernel (under "Kernel") and Govnah (under "Applications").
    3. In Govnah, set your profile to Screenstate 500/1Ghz (or make a Screenstate 250/1Ghz, either way is fine).
    4. Through Preware, install the "Faster Card Animations HYPER Version" patch.
    5. Once you're finished with that, it's time to do a little work on the EVDO connection. Find the forum entitled "Increase the Speed of your EVDO Connection" and follow the instructions. They worked great for me on the Sprint network though YMMV. But maps, sprint navigation, etc. are all fantastic now.
    6. Enjoy your cracked out Pre. (sorry about the possibly voided warranty).

[[ 7. Donate to WebOS Internals at WebOS Internals:Site support - WebOS Internals or PayPal: donations @ webos-internals.org ]]
    Last edited by harrisonp; 09/09/2010 at 10:59 PM. Reason: donating is a good idea.
    Personally, I don't like the faster animations. I love the actual card animations, I just wish the cards would load faster.
    I don't agree with the /1Ghz suggestion #3. Alot of these processors are from different production batches and some react to heat differently. I would suggest a max speed of 800Mhz.

Even with screenstate set on 800Mhz I've gotten to the mid 50's in temperature. I'd hate for all of our new users to brick their Pre's when they could go for a more conservative 720Mhz....

-Gu1l7y
    "It is innocent, unless found Gu1l7y.
    my pre was clocked @ 1Ghz and was hitting temps of 52 on a daily basis, i only recommend 1ghz if u live in an igloo
    verizon pre 2 - 2.0, stock
    verizon pre plus - 1.4.5 various patches OC'd 1Ghz.
    verizon pixi plus - various patches, OC'd 800 mhz.
    verizon pixi plus - chillin in my sock drawer
    my Pre Plus@1gHz constant stays around 40..I guess not all Pre's are created equal... Also, my battery lasts longer @ constant 1 G instead of screenstate. Try different setting till you find what's best for your Pre.
    Mine runs great at 1ghz, stays at decent temp. But then again I don't play games or watch videos. Yes, it's quite noticeably faster than even 800mhz. "blazing fast" but about the same speed as an iphone. Should've been this way stock.
    i use the **** outta my pre. i have to charge the battery half way through the day @ work i use it so much. why not get my $ worth out of it? OCing is awesome but everything come with a price. those higher temps have weakened my battery to 85% of its health. i say only go as fast as u need, just cause 1Ghz is available, doesnt mean everyone needs to run it...
    i like using the regular "faster card animations" patch. the hyper version makes everything too jerky.
    the regular version looks a lot smoother to me.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I am using the screenstate 250/1ghz as stated above, and it is the best. I also found out through testing (im sure someone put it on a post somewere) that when the battery gets low it clocks down to 500mhz on its own. I remember one time going into Govnah and seeing that it was at 500mhz and not 1ghz. I couldnt figure it out at first thinking it was a software issue. but then realized after the battery warning came up. Isnt that something, i like. I also have to say my pre has never gone over 45 degrees and I have a soft silicon case around the whole phone. So maby its just certain pre's that have some difference that are overheating. But ya you gota love the pre. Im gona check this evdo speed up thingy. Iv never heard of it.
  10.    #10  
    All replies so far are good. Especially the "your mileage may vary" ones. Govnah has a decent temperature monitor so find the settings that trade off temperature and clock speed best for YOUR pre.

It cannot be overstated how friendly Palm is to the development community to not clamp down on good improvements to their device.
    Last edited by harrisonp; 09/08/2010 at 07:17 PM.
    well put
    Quote Originally Posted by harrisonp View Post
    Thanks to Preware & precentral.net forums, I now have the following installed on my phone to make it go, for lack of a better word, zoom.

If you are a new Pre/Pre+ owner, do this ASAP if you are a speed freak:

1.Download & Install Preware.
    2. Through Preware, install Uberkernel (under "Kernel") and Govnah (under "Applications").
    3. In Govnah, set your profile to Screenstate 500/1Ghz (or make a Screenstate 250/1Ghz, either way is fine).
    4. Through Preware, install the "Faster Card Animations HYPER Version" patch.
    5. Once you're finished with that, it's time to do a little work on the EVDO connection. Find the forum entitled "Increase the Speed of your EVDO Connection" and follow the instructions. They worked great for me on the Sprint network though YMMV. But maps, sprint navigation, etc. are all fantastic now.
    6. Enjoy your cracked out Pre. (sorry about the possibly voided warranty).
    7. Donate to WebOS Internals at WebOS Internals:Site support - WebOS Internals or PayPal: donations @ webos-internals.org

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bradenfontaine View Post
    i use the **** outta my pre. i have to charge the battery half way through the day @ work i use it so much. why not get my $ worth out of it? OCing is awesome but everything come with a price. those higher temps have weakened my battery to 85% of its health. i say only go as fast as u need, just cause 1Ghz is available, doesnt mean everyone needs to run it...

New stock batteries can be had for under $4 fyi, unless you're using a higher capacity battery. My Pre used to be terrible on battery, and now it goes 12 hours and I'm still @ 50% give or take on my usage.
    are u using a stock battery or a higher capacity one?
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    7. Donate to WebOS Internals at WebOS Internals:Site support - WebOS Internals or PayPal: donations @ webos-internals.org

-- Rod
    QFT.
    I'd like to throw in the patch "Reduce Drag Radius to 8px" for more responsiveness.
    Quote Originally Posted by alexjack22 View Post
    I'd like to throw in the patch "Reduce Drag Radius to 8px" for more responsiveness.
    How exactly does that help? I'm always confused by it when someone says this.
    Quote Originally Posted by zealster View Post
    How exactly does that help? I'm always confused by it when someone says this.
    When you drag a list you are forced to drag a certain number of pixels (I think it's 20 by default) before the list will register the drag even and start to drag.

It's very obvious in certain tile dragging games, but by reducing it to 8px you can tap without it accidentally registering a drag, but make it feel like you don't have to drag a bit before the list will suddenly jump to where you expected it.
    At the risk of taking the thread off topic, although when you talk about processor speed, a discussion about heat is sure to follow, so maybe it's not off topic...

Anyway, you guys have got me curious about temps. Are that many of you really having significantly higher temps with the 500/1ghz setting? I have a launch day Sprint Pre non-plus and it is extremely comfortable on the 500/1Ghz screenstate setting. With screen on and nothing but Govnah running (idle) my temp does not exceed 35. I left Govnah running and played NFS for 20 minutes, immediately switched to Govnah and saw 47 degrees. I think I've seen 52 degrees once after quite a while of multitasking w/video.

Battery life is also still good with my Amzer 1400. My phone usually runs out of juice at the end of the day, but I'm a heavy user. If I get any spare time on the touchstone during the day, then I definitely don't have any trouble. (EDIT: I should add, I have great coverage in the Chicagoland area, so my Pre is rarely roaming and pretty much never searching for a signal which kills battery life).

Anyone else with similar results using the 500/1Ghz screenstate profile?
    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityPre View Post
    At the risk of taking the thread off topic, although when you talk about processor speed, a discussion about heat is sure to follow, so maybe it's not off topic...

Anyway, you guys have got me curious about temps. Are that many of you really having significantly higher temps with the 500/1ghz setting? I have a launch day Sprint Pre non-plus and it is extremely comfortable on the 500/1Ghz screenstate setting. With screen on and nothing but Govnah running (idle) my temp does not exceed 35. I left Govnah running and played NFS for 20 minutes, immediately switched to Govnah and saw 47 degrees. I think I've seen 52 degrees once after quite a while of multitasking w/video.

Battery life is also still good with my Amzer 1400. My phone usually runs out of juice at the end of the day, but I'm a heavy user. If I get any spare time on the touchstone during the day, then I definitely don't have any trouble.

Anyone else with similar results using the 500/1Ghz screenstate profile?
    In general, it seems that most people have results along the same lines as yours.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast