Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    The wifi reception on my Pre is pretty weak. If I walk more than a room away from the router, the signal drops to one bar and constantly has issues connecting/dropping/connecting while my laptop sits around with 3 bars on it. I am using one of the Palm approved routers (Linksys) and I even put dd-wrt on it to improve the TX power, but yeah, it's still a problem.

    Anybody have any tips on improving it? I'd read something about some routers having problems with low-power devices, but yeah, I don't know.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  2. #2  
    Make sure you update your Linksys Router's firmware. I basically got rid of my Linksys and now use Apple's wifi router and it works well. I have my set with WPA/WPA2 encryption. Or maybe there is something wrong with your Pre? I have a Verizon Palm Pre Plus and it works well through out the house...upstairs and downstairs!
  3. #3  
    I have full signal outside, upstairs, main floor, basement and I have an averaged sized 2100sqft 85+ year old brick home with lath and plaster....if wi-fi signal was an issue with the Pre I would know about it.

    I have full bars everywhere. Sounds like a router issue.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    I have full signal outside, upstairs, main floor, basement and I have an averaged sized 2100sqft 85+ year old brick home with lath and plaster....if wi-fi signal was an issue with the Pre I would know about it.

    I have full bars everywhere. Sounds like a router issue.
    Yes, I seem to recall you don't have the bluetooth/wifi interfering with each other either...

    If it's not a Pre problem in general, could it just be my device in particular? I honestly don't think it's my router, my ipod touch, various PCs, Wii, and PS3 have never had a problem.
  5. #5  
    Have you done a site survey to check for nearby routers using the same channel? My WRT-54G with DD-WRT set to 200 transmit power goes over 75ft through walls, but it's a house so there's not as much interference as you'd get in an apartment.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by casonbang View Post
    Have you done a site survey to check for nearby routers using the same channel? My WRT-54G with DD-WRT set to 200 transmit power goes over 75ft through walls, but it's a house so there's not as much interference as you'd get in an apartment.
    Oh, I only have mine on 140. Is going to 200 really okay?

    Well, the Pre only picks up one other router and that one poorly as well, but it's in another house a good feet away next door somewhere. Our house is like 54ft x 25ft and the router is at one end of the house while I'm at the other end 54ft away. The Pre acts up about 40 feet away and 30ft away if I'm upstairs (router's in the basement).
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Yes, I seem to recall you don't have the bluetooth/wifi interfering with each other either...
    Correct. Do you have a bluetooth/wi-fi issue? You didn't mention that above. If you turn off bluetooth does that improve your wi-fi reception? As far as I know the bluetooth issue you speak of is the exception not the rule.

    The only way to improve your wi-fi reception would be to increase the strength of the signal getting to your phone. Reduce the number of walls, floors, fixtures, people....between the transmitter and your phone.

    However, unless you live in an area with huge amounts of interference, what you describe points to a router issues.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Correct. Do you have a bluetooth/wi-fi issue? You didn't mention that above. If you turn off bluetooth does that improve your wi-fi reception? As far as I know the bluetooth issue you speak of is the exception not the rule.

    The only way to improve your wi-fi reception would be to increase the strength of the signal getting to your phone. Reduce the number of walls, floors, fixtures, people....between the transmitter and your phone.

    However, unless you live in an area with huge amounts of interference, what you describe points to a router issues.
    Well, it's more like if I turn the bluetooth on, the wifi craps out completely. And if I try to reconnect the wifi, the bluetooth (music) starts skipping.

    Idk, maybe my router is going bad, I've had it for a while.
  9. #9  
    I have this router (which I don't recommend at all) and I get full bars all over the (above mentioned) home.

    I truly can't reproduce your bluetooth issues. Still have a warranty if a new router doesn't alleviate that issue?
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  10. #10  
    There is a huge wifi issues thread on palm forums...
    wifi broken after the 1.4 update! - Palm Support Community

    I have the same problem. Wifi only works if I am in the same room, otherwise its a single bar & major connectivity problems.. (WRT54G with tomato firmware)

    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    The wifi reception on my Pre is pretty weak. If I walk more than a room away from the router, the signal drops to one bar and constantly has issues connecting/dropping/connecting while my laptop sits around with 3 bars on it. I am using one of the Palm approved routers (Linksys) and I even put dd-wrt on it to improve the TX power, but yeah, it's still a problem.

    Anybody have any tips on improving it? I'd read something about some routers having problems with low-power devices, but yeah, I don't know.
  11. #11  
    My dad used to have all kinds of wifi reception problems at home. So I looked at where his router was, turns out, it was hidden in the corner of a room, behind his monitor. Once I took it out and adjusted the antennas, reception problems disappeared. It's also a linksys router with DD-WRT firmware. Make sure there is no interference with the router itself. My parents have a 2,500 sq ft house with the router placed upstairs on one end of the house. I get full bars virtually everywhere.
  12. #12  
    I would recommend performing the quick test under preferences and see what the results of the wifi ... I bought a phone from ebay that was producing the same results you're having. I had to be 10' from my Apple Extreme to pick up one bar. Final result was that I took it to the Sprint store and was honest about where this phone came from and as charming as I could be to the ladies at the counter and they checked the date on the phone and discovered it was still under warranty and setup a order for a next day replacement .... It's most likely a hardware issue in the Pre itself however all of the above advice is valid as well ...
  13. #13  
    it must be the wifi radio. Mine had similar problems. . I dropped my pre way too many times. Have you tried a different wifi hotspot somewhere else?

Posting Permissions