Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I think its just to mix things up a little bit. Because us Palm users have gone so long without a major software/hardware update, its a way to freshen things up. I have an iphone theme on mine, but would never want to actually get an iphone
    Quote Originally Posted by 9KRacing View Post
    No, that's not at all what they are saying. They are saying why COPY another UI instead of just buying an IPhone.

Putting on themes and changing our phones via preware IS what makes this phone so great. So why go and COPY someone else's (lame in most people's opinions) phone? I still haven't seen a good reason yet.
    Because no one buys a phone based solely on how the UI looks (not functions). How are you not understanding this? Did you read this thread?
  3.    #43  
    I'm not going to bother quoting anyone in particular. My first few posts were genuine questions of interest into the desires of makers and users of iphone/Android cloning and/or skinning of webOS devices. I set forth no pretense it was right, wrong, acceptable, unacceptable... choose whatever adjective you want. Tonality and body language don't translate well in text. This isn't meant to be an argument but a discussion. Thankfully, much of it is a discussion.

I'm a skeptic/cynic of why people would invest in an object only to try to make it look or act like another object that can be had at a comparable price. I thought of all the reasons mentioned before I started this thread, but that's what I think. I want input from others, maybe those who do this, and I've gotten that.

Thanks to those who didn't respond as if I pi ssed on a item beholden sacred to them.
    I still haven't seen a good reason yet.
    I like bright red cars. I like Subarus. Because Subaru doesn't offer a bright red paint option for my car doesn't mean I'm going to give up the quality Subaru offers and buy a bucket of crap Chevy that's bright red. I'm going to get a custom paint job for my Subaru instead.

It's not exactly rocket science here.
    No, that's not at all what they are saying. They are saying why COPY another UI instead of just buying an IPhone.

Putting on themes and changing our phones via preware IS what makes this phone so great. So why go and COPY someone else's (lame in most people's opinions) phone? I still haven't seen a good reason yet.
    I don't use themes per say, but lets back up just a couple of years. iPhone is released, it has a customizable quick launch bar, it has app pages you access by sliding right/left across the screen, the apps you can move around with a tap+hold on an app icon, it has one single hardware button, lists have a elastic bounce to them, etc, etc.
    Now I am not an iPhone lover, in fact I'll never own one, but I think even through beer goggles one can see A LOT of mobile OS's (WebOS is no exception) have incorporated quite a bit of functionality from iOS into their own OS. That's not to say that other's are not doing innovative things, because they are.

/sorry /for /the /rant
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    I don't use themes per say, but lets back up just a couple of years. iPhone is released, it has a customizable quick launch bar, it has app pages you access by sliding right/left across the screen, the apps you can move around with a tap+hold on an app icon, it has one single hardware button, lists have a elastic bounce to them, etc, etc.
    Now I am not an iPhone lover, in fact I'll never own one, but I think even through beer goggles one can see A LOT of mobile OS's (WebOS is no exception) have incorporated quite a bit of functionality from iOS into their own OS. That's not to say that other's are not doing innovative things, because they are.

/sorry /for /the /rant
    No, I totally agree... and I also am not even talking about the themes. I was talking more about the Apps to make it appear as if you are using Ios or Android. I just never understood it. But to each his own.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElPhantasmo View Post
    I'm not going to bother quoting anyone in particular. My first few posts were genuine questions of interest into the desires of makers and users of iphone/Android cloning and/or skinning of webOS devices. I set forth no pretense it was right, wrong, acceptable, unacceptable... choose whatever adjective you want. Tonality and body language don't translate well in text. This isn't meant to be an argument but a discussion. Thankfully, much of it is a discussion.

I'm a skeptic/cynic of why people would invest in an object only to try to make it look or act like another object that can be had at a comparable price. I thought of all the reasons mentioned before I started this thread, but that's what I think. I want input from others, maybe those who do this, and I've gotten that.

Thanks to those who didn't respond as if I pi ssed on a item beholden sacred to them.
    Agreed, good discussion, and the only answer I can give as to why I've done it in the past is "...it's mainly the challenge of creating the graphics and a skin/theme that mimics that of another OS. To see how close you can get to making it look and act like something else that exists in another OS."
    It's not that I liked/wanted the other device, but it was a reference point to prove to myself (and probably others) how good or bad I was at designing a theme. With nothing to compare my work too, it would just be another theme. I would say 98.72367892310% of the themes I did for TAKEphONE were not related to a mobile OS, most were sports based.

I did this to the Palm Girl, so I guess I really don't like WebOS (haha, j/k).

If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers

Well spoken sir.

Samsung Fascinate Rooted
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    so I've thought of an idea for an OS, where you ignore what is going on in the real world and simply jump to conclusions about what is happening in forums for an OS. I call it JumpOS. Sounds good for the pre2 right? Go JumpOS2!!!
    I used to mess around with themes before and once hadthe IOS one. Ihated it, but it didn't want to uninstall. Ended up having to doctor my phone. Now I use stock theme, it really is the best. And why is the world so fascinated with android. I use it quite abit and I find it so horrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by dc9super80 View Post
    I used to mess around with themes before and once hadthe IOS one. Ihated it, but it didn't want to uninstall. Ended up having to doctor my phone. Now I use stock theme, it really is the best. And why is the world so fascinated with android. I use it quite abit and I find it so horrible.
    Because the rest of the world likes being different from you.
    To my mind, it has absolutely ZERO to do with caring what viewers think. If I wanted to have a phone based on its value as a trendy fashion accessory, I'd buy an iPhone.

But I buy a device based on a combination of OS/UI, carrier, and cost of plan. For me, I prefer WebOS to iOS and to Android. That does not, however, mean that I'm obligated to hold the design decisions of the WebOS team with religous reverence.

Though I prefer WebOS to the alternatives, I am annoyed by, for example, the limit of four icons on the main screen. I understand why the designers did that, but for me, I want to elegance of WebOS with the convenience of being able to open key apps with a minimum of clicking and scrolling. This, in my opinion, outweighs having an unobstructed view of my wallpaper.

So from my perspective, wanting to, for example, put more icons on the main screen has nothing to do with "wanting the Pre to look like an iPhone or Android," and a lot to do with "wanting the Pre to work the way I want it to work."

My motive isn't to "copy" another OS. I like the underlying design of WebOS, and prefer it on the whole to the alternatives. But I like some of the functionality that those alternatives use in their UI.

If I can modify my Pre to make it better suit my needs, then why the fuss? If the stock Pre suits your needs, then so be it. Remember, this is not a math calculation - there is no objectively superior look and feel for an OS; it's inherently subjective how each individual uses their device, and how each individual prefers to interact with it.
    Last edited by odoflood; 09/08/2010 at 07:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disgustoid View Post
    I like bright red cars. I like Subarus. Because Subaru doesn't offer a bright red paint option for my car doesn't mean I'm going to give up the quality Subaru offers and buy a bucket of crap Chevy that's bright red. I'm going to get a custom paint job for my Subaru instead.

It's not exactly rocket science here.

It is if you make a proper analogy.

It's actually much, much closer to buying a Subaru, and then putting a Hyundai body on the subaru chassis. Sure, it'll still drive like a Subaru, but it now LOOKS like a Hyundai. That's great.. you like how the Hyundai looks, and you like how the Subaru drives. You have your cake and eat it too.

We're just saying Hyundais looks silly.
    LOL, apparently so. I am not worried I would be one of the very few that dislikes Android (even more so than IOS) in terms of it´s UI, but puts WebOS way up there. Really in my opinion, WebOS is leaps an bounds above the rest in terms of the user experience. Whatever will I do without gestures and universal search?
    It is if you make a proper analogy.

It's actually much, much closer to buying a Subaru, and then putting a Hyundai body on the subaru chassis. Sure, it'll still drive like a Subaru, but it now LOOKS like a Hyundai. That's great.. you like how the Hyundai looks, and you like how the Subaru drives. You have your cake and eat it too.

We're just saying Hyundais looks silly.
    Your analogy implies that people are taking out the guts of their Pres and dropping them into the shell of another phone. As a fan of Ben Heck's work, I don't think that's any more accurate than the paint job analogy.
    Personally, I hope webOS grows to be the easiest mobile OS to "theme" or "skin". This would allow all of us to have our webOS device look however we desire. Vive la différence!
    Quote Originally Posted by mnotar91 View Post
    I think the native WebOS UI is much more appealing that iOS and Android. No disrespect to those two, I just feel WebOS is best.
    totally agree, i have a nexus one and the palm pre UI is better, the UI on the Android seriously needs an update, the icons, multitasking, etc etc.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123