Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 57
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Coming from someone that has done skins for both TAKEphONE and Pocket-Tunes, I can say it's mainly the challenge of creating the graphics and a skin/theme that mimics that of another OS. To see how close you can get to making it look and act like something else that exists in another OS.
    I completely agree. I made an Android icon set to use with my top bar patches a little while ago. I made it for two reasons:

    1. I liked how they looked. The stock icons are pretty boring and bland.
    2. I wanted to see if I could recreate them from scratch. I think they actually turned out pretty nicely!

    It was mainly a learning experience. I'm still somewhat new to graphic design and am trying to get some practice in. Whenever I get an idea in my head, I try my best to make it real. Plus, I find it pretty fun.

    It's not about copying some other UI to try to fool people...
  2. #22  
    Because I like the look of the iPhone and love to annoy the ........ out of all the haters who have no reason to act the way they do!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Coming from someone that has done skins for both TAKEphONE and Pocket-Tunes, I can say it's mainly the challenge of creating the graphics and a skin/theme that mimics that of another OS. To see how close you can get to making it look and act like something else that exists in another OS.
    So you're saying, it's like the challenge of copying the Mona Lisa for the sake of emulating the talent of da Vinci; sort of "look what I can do."

    The other question still remains: Why buy an Andy Warhol and paint over it to look like da Vinci?
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by ElPhantasmo View Post
    The other question still remains: Why buy an Andy Warhol and paint over it to look like da Vinci?
    I'm assuming you're not into designing and making things (that's not an insult ). It's mainly the challenge of trying to emulate something else. For some people (myself included), it's actually pretty fun to do.
  5. sondo8's Avatar
    Posts
    37 Posts
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    #25  
    Maybe it's for the Iphone people that switched to WebOS. The UI will look familiar, but the OS is better.
  6. omi205's Avatar
    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    #26  
    I LOVE WebOS's UI. I wouldnt take anything over it, more importantly IOS or Android. I think that HPalm needs to keep WebOS different from the competition even if the competition might be selling more. I dont like the iphone UI or the Android for that matter. I dont know what I would do without WebOS. Best of all I love how HPalm practicly encourages homebrewing, its a match made in heaven. Long live WebOS the one and only true multitasker. nothing even comes close to it.
  7. #27  
    My personal favorites are the "iphone killer" themes that look just like the iphone. I find it ironic that a person says "My phone is so much better than the iphone, that's why I have the apple boot logo, iphone wallpaper, and and iphone theme, because Webos is so much better!!!"
  8. ToddK's Avatar
    Posts
    666 Posts
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    #28  
    ...because we CAN, and because it's FUN.

    Personally, I used the iPhone icon theme for a while, but I switched to Glass Effect Suite...

    But, I did buy the iPhone+ app, and whenever I run into a friend with an iPhone (which is almost everyone - nobody a know has a Pre or Pixi), I load it up and show it to them - and they always are impressed. ;-)

    Options are good.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by ElPhantasmo View Post
    So you're saying, it's like the challenge of copying the Mona Lisa for the sake of emulating the talent of da Vinci; sort of "look what I can do."

    The other question still remains: Why buy an Andy Warhol and paint over it to look like da Vinci?
    Because everyone has their personal preferences. There is no need to crtiticize, just because they don't agree with yours.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangeschoolbus View Post
    My personal favorites are the "iphone killer" themes that look just like the iphone. I find it ironic that a person says "My phone is so much better than the iphone, that's why I have the apple boot logo, iphone wallpaper, and and iphone theme, because Webos is so much better!!!"
    Why make your phone look like an iPhone if your phone is better? In my opinion if webOS is better then make it look like webOS. That way others will realize a phone other than iPhone, Android or Blackberry is out there and can do so much
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by ProParkour View Post
    Why make your phone look like an iPhone if your phone is better? In my opinion if webOS is better then make it look like webOS. That way others will realize a phone other than iPhone, Android or Blackberry is out there and can do so much
    What if someone likes the iphone UI but wants a WebOS device? Should they buy an iphone instead?
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    What if someone likes the iphone UI but wants a WebOS device? Should they buy an iphone instead?
    IMHO the superior UI is one of the few reasons why one would prefer webOS over iPhone. If someone likes the iOS UI better, I would seriously advise them to get an iPhone rather than buy a phone they're not happy with and stick an app like that on it.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    IMHO the superior UI is one of the few reasons why one would prefer webOS over iPhone. If someone likes the iOS UI better, I would seriously advise them to get an iPhone rather than buy a phone they're not happy with and stick an app like that on it.
    I was just saying that to attempt to prove a point. People don't buy a phone solely because they like how the UI looks (some people might...). So, why not have options to customize it to your liking? I don't understand why you guys have such a problem with this...
  14. #34  
    Isn't this one of the reasons we love the open environment in webOS? You can modify the look of your phone to suit your personal perferences. I'm not into themes myself, although I have a nice photo of flowers as my wallpaper (from the Backgrounds app). But I can understand how other users might enjoy modifying their phones to look like other brands or OSs. Whatever floats your boat.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by ElPhantasmo View Post
    So you're saying, it's like the challenge of copying the Mona Lisa for the sake of emulating the talent of da Vinci; sort of "look what I can do."

    The other question still remains: Why buy an Andy Warhol and paint over it to look like da Vinci?
    You seem to be using your own opinion to make your argument against other people's reasonings. Just because you feel one way, does not mean others share your opinion. There is no reason to criticize anyone for wanting their interface to look a specific way. As long as everyone has what they want and are happy about it, that's all that matters.

    You analogy doesn't hold water, because it's all based on your opinion of the quality of the interfaces. I don't mean that in an insulting way at all.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by ElPhantasmo View Post
    So you're saying, it's like the challenge of copying the Mona Lisa for the sake of emulating the talent of da Vinci; sort of "look what I can do."

    The other question still remains: Why buy an Andy Warhol and paint over it to look like da Vinci?
    Quote Originally Posted by ProParkour View Post
    Why make your phone look like an iPhone if your phone is better? In my opinion if webOS is better then make it look like webOS. That way others will realize a phone other than iPhone, Android or Blackberry is out there and can do so much
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    IMHO the superior UI is one of the few reasons why one would prefer webOS over iPhone. If someone likes the iOS UI better, I would seriously advise them to get an iPhone rather than buy a phone they're not happy with and stick an app like that on it.
    So it would be safe to assume then that you guys have made no modifications to any of the stock stuff on WebOS or installed any patches that change functionality of WebOS, because you love it the way Palm has served it to you?
    And none of you are running NaNplayer or Music Player Remix, or BFG Maps, or Timepiece to manage your alarms, because the apps provided by Palm are far superior than those mentioned?
    Last edited by NachoB; 09/07/2010 at 09:46 AM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

    HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  17. GFS
    GFS is offline
    GFS's Avatar
    Posts
    68 Posts
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    #37  
    i dont use themes, but if using NaNplayer is wrong, I don't wanna be right!
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by GFS View Post
    i dont use themes, but if using NaNplayer is wrong, I don't wanna be right!
    Srsly!!

    But yeah, why do people make Linux look like Windows or Apple? JFC, just because you stuck some Apple icons on there doesn't mean you don't like cards, notifications, choosing your own background, etc. Now putting an Apple logo on it is pretty dumb to me, but a lot of people for Linux like to say my desktop can be even better at looking like a Mac than even a Mac and do some really impressive themes to help "convince" people that we have cookies or whatever.

    Also people are lazy and jack iPhone themes cause the icons are already done, right?
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    And none of you are running NaNplayer or Music Player Remix, or BFG Maps, or Timepiece to manage your alarms, because the apps provided by Palm are far superior than those mentioned?
    I just got the MPRemix, haven't tried it out a whole lot, but looks cool.
    I do have Timepiece, but I still use my stock clock for an alarm as I did have an 'incident' with the Timepiece alarm clock not working.

    As for the rest of the convo, I'm pretty happy with most of the theme builders out there, they do a lot of nice work. I've never tried to make my phone look like another brand though, I guess it's nice to be able to, but really, I'm not interested in having a lookalike iPhone, Hero, Evo whatever.

    More interested in things like Iron Maiden, Tool, **** Zombies, my current theme(over there<---- Prepple Reflect Icons Theme), Fire in the Eye 2. Those are just some of my favs.

    But hey, if you want a lookalike, fill your boots
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    So it would be safe to assume then that you guys have made no modifications to any of the stock stuff on WebOS or installed any patches that change functionality of WebOS, because you love it the way Palm has served it to you?
    And none of you are running NaNplayer or Music Player Remix, or BFG Maps, or Timepiece to manage your alarms, because the apps provided by Palm are far superior than those mentioned?
    No, that's not at all what they are saying. They are saying why COPY another UI instead of just buying an IPhone.

    Putting on themes and changing our phones via preware IS what makes this phone so great. So why go and COPY someone else's (lame in most people's opinions) phone? I still haven't seen a good reason yet.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions