1.    #1  
    i swam with my pre in the ocean for about five minutes 3 days ago and i washed it out to get rid of the salt i took the back and battery out of it and put it in rice. is there any hope for my pre? and if so how long should i leave it in rice or whatelse should i do?
    You should probably leave it in rice for a day or two. The salt's probably going to badly corrode the components though.
    i would leave it in rice for at least 2 days.

I mean that might be overkill buts its not going to get wetter in that time.

Also it can't get too dry. As Seinfeld would say: "you can't over-dry, it's like you can't over-die. Once you die, you're dead... let's say you die and i shot you, you can't die again, because you're already dead... you can't over-die, you can't over-dry"

If it doesn't work after 2 days, your probably lookin at a new phone.
    as long as you gave it a good bath (totally submerged it in clean water and let it drain several times), you should be good. I'd let it sit for 3 days in rice to be on the safe side... Good luck
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    Dont want to be a bummer but salt is evil... Corrosion. If it doesnt kill it now, it will later. I have a grave yard of fishing reels rinsed religiously after each use but salt wins.

Good luck
    Id rinse in alcohol thoroughly, then place in dry rice for a few days
    yes, soak it in alcohol to get rid of the salt.
    Someone start writing the obit

Best of luck, dumping your pre in alchol is like a oxy moron. lol However true it may be...
    salt water to an electronic device is the kiss of death. It's the equivalent of going on a once in a lifetime date with a lingerie model, only for her to say, "I think we should just be friends"
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Salt water will kill any electronic as fast as a hammer. I took a phone of mine surfing once and when I came out I could see the metal components corroding as I watched...
    Don't waste your time or energy. You will need to replace it and no, alcohol will not dissolve the salt and rice won't absorb the salt and nothing you can do will fix an electronic device that has been in salt water, especially for five minutes.
    Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    Ouch. I'd respectfully say waste your time and energy. You won't be spending much of either, and you may get lucky. Probably not a bad idea to start window shopping for a new phone though!
    what in the world were you thinkin.... good thing you can buy the pre fairly cheap nowadays.
    Distilled water bath. There are still contaminants/metals (more salt...) in undistilled water. Then give it the rice or silicate packet treatment.

Probably dead though...
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    I have heard of phones surviving this...It's not dead yet!
    Quote Originally Posted by sweaner View Post
    I have heard of phones surviving this...It's not dead yet!
    NO PHONE permanently survives a salt water bath, and no smartphone will ever. After years in electronics repair I've come to accept that there a several "liquids" that are the kiss of death
    1) salt water
    2) cat puke
    3) milk

No standard electronic device can survive the above three
    A month and a half ago I fell into a salt water lagoon for all of 30 seconds. The internals were good enough to boot and connect to my PC, and haul the data off. The touchscreen however, will be dead, the salt that collected in the top half is incredible. You will need a new Pre. Salt water is death to electronics. Sorry dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by AOW View Post
    NO PHONE permanently survives a salt water bath, and no smartphone will ever. After years in electronics repair I've come to accept that there a several "liquids" that are the kiss of death
    1) salt water
    2) cat puke
    3) milk

No standard electronic device can survive the above three
    I can't count how many DVRs our cat killed by puking in them. We thought shew as just laying on them because of the heat. Then she upchucked and we were watching and ZAP went the DVR. We connected the dots and blocked off the back of the entertainment center and haven't had to replace a DVR since LOL