1.    #1  
    I got tired of the GPS drinking up my battery life, so i switched it to google maps. Im not too sure if google maps is doing better with the battery. Does anyone care to enlighten me?
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
    This is a little bit like asking whether driving or using the engine uses more gas. Google maps also makes use of the GPS receiver. Perhaps you mean the Google location service that uses IP location and cell tower triangulation to find you? If so, it wouldn't surprise me an awful lot to find out that the battery life impact between GPS + Google location vs. Google location only isn't huge.

When battery life was a bigger deal for me a long time ago, I experimented with turning off GPS--it helped a little, but I've simply left it on since then.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    This is a little bit like asking whether driving or using the engine uses more gas. Google maps also makes use of the GPS receiver. Perhaps you mean the Google location service that uses IP location and cell tower triangulation to find you? If so, it wouldn't surprise me an awful lot to find out that the battery life impact between GPS + Google location vs. Google location only isn't huge.

When battery life was a bigger deal for me a long time ago, I experimented with turning off GPS--it helped a little, but I've simply left it on since then.
    Yeah...i meant google location services lol. I dont know what i was smoking when i typed this. (i actually dont smoke). Question. Did you leave both google location and GPS on?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Yeah...i meant google location services lol. I dont know what i was smoking when i typed this. (i actually dont smoke). Question. Did you leave both google location and GPS on?
    Honestly, I don't remember. I believe there was a time when you could only turn off GPS--not sure whether location services were turned off at the same time or not. Sorry I can't be more help.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Honestly, I don't remember. I believe there was a time when you could only turn off GPS--not sure whether location services were turned off at the same time or not. Sorry I can't be more help.
    Its all good. I was just speculating as to which one to leave on.

6. OrR
    I wouldn't expect GPS to draw much current because it doesn't have to send anything, only receive.
    No idea how the Google location service works exactly. Is this part of the maps app or where can I find it? It probably uses your wifi and cellphone connection so it might use quite a lot of current, depending on how often it updates and how much of the connection is sending. Is this used less/not at all when GPS is on? if so, using GPS instead might actually increase your battery life.
    GPS uses more power initially while it searches for satellites. This is called the acquisition phase. Once the sats are being tracked the GPS will use less power. All this depends a bit on the quality of the assistance data and the signal strength of the satellites at your location.

Google maps will use the data connection to download maps. To do this it will need to talk to the network and hence use power. The further you are from the cell mast the more power required.

Once the maps for you area are downloaded the GPS will be the main source of drain until a new set of maps is required.

So, basically it all depends on how and where you are using it. You could use Govnah to monitor the current and do your own empirical tests. My guess would be that ignoring the background consumption of the CPU and screen backlight, GPS will be using more than just downloading maps in most instances.