Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 52 of 52
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Honestly the best way to save battery is to install Govnah and change the settings to

    Governor: Screenstate
    Min Frequency: 125mhz
    Max Frequency: 500mhz

    So your processor sips power when you arent using your device (your screen is off)

    The only issue with this is that if you use Pandora and your screen turns off the audio gets choppy.

    But my battery lasts forever with the 125-500mhz screenstate
    LOL!!! Why overclock then? You realize these are the default settings that your Pre runs at, right?
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    LOL!!! Why overclock then? You realize these are the default settings that your Pre runs at, right?
    WRONG

    The Pre runs at a constant 500mhz at stock.

    Meaning when your screen is off, it runs at 500mhz.

    Putting 125mhz-500mhz screenstate means the processor clocks down to 125mhz and saves power when the screen is off.

    The original Palm Pre settings do NOT do this.

    Please make sure you know something before you LOL at someone.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by timjhenry View Post
    That is going to drain the motherloving crap out of your battery. That makes your Pre constantly check for mail. I have mine set to check once an hour, seems like a fair compromise since I rarely get email more than that.
    WRONG

    Read what it says "As Items Arive"

    They dont call the feature "Check every 5 seconds"

    As items arrive means that if certian mail clients like Gmail have what is known as PUSH NOTIFICATION.

    Meaning, your Pre never checks for mail, when there is mail in your gmail account, gmail sends out a signal to your Pre indicating that it has received new mail.

    So "As Items Arrive" means that your Pre NEVER checks for mail, but your client instead notifies your Pre.

    Jesus people, please make sure you know what you are talking about before you post.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    LOL!!! Why overclock then? You realize these are the default settings that your Pre runs at, right?
    I didn't say I was overclocking.

    Technically I am underclocking, but only when the screen is off (screenstate)
  5. #45  
    wrong.

    setting your phone to 125 does not mean you save more power.

    google 'race to idle' 250 and 125 are basically too slow to be of much use
  6. #46  
    Yeah...i believe 125Mhz has an adverse effect on the phone.
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

    http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    WRONG

    Read what it says "As Items Arive"

    They dont call the feature "Check every 5 seconds"

    As items arrive means that if certian mail clients like Gmail have what is known as PUSH NOTIFICATION.

    Meaning, your Pre never checks for mail, when there is mail in your gmail account, gmail sends out a signal to your Pre indicating that it has received new mail.

    So "As Items Arrive" means that your Pre NEVER checks for mail, but your client instead notifies your Pre.

    Jesus people, please make sure you know what you are talking about before you post.
    Thanks for posting this, to be honest i just wasnt in the mood to type a response thats been answered to death. Some people just refuse to search!
    I guess thats why I didnt get asked to be a forum moderator huh!
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

    If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

    Follow the link below.


  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by squeezy;
    I put my phone in airplane mode every hour since my battery only holds 700 mAh now.
    Why not just buy a 1400 mah battery and forget about airplane mode. It's only 30 bucks.
  9. #49  
    Dude, do you even know what I am talking about?

    Race to idle implies when a process is be completed, that the process will be completed faster and thus use less energy in the end.

    I am not talking about using the phone at 125 mhz...that would be insanely terrible!! haha.

    Im talking about scaling down the CPU to 125mhz when you are not doing anything on it. IE: when the screen is off.

    There are a few background processes running but nothing that 'race to idle' would help.

    Screenstate off IS idle. No race. Just idle. The race is over.

    Trust me, I save oodles more power on 125 screenstate.

    My Pre lasts several days if I dont use it.

    Quote Originally Posted by newman314 View Post
    wrong.

    setting your phone to 125 does not mean you save more power.

    google 'race to idle' 250 and 125 are basically too slow to be of much use
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Yeah...i believe 125Mhz has an adverse effect on the phone.
    You believe or you know?

    Facts, numbers, references....anything?

    I would like to see proof that 125mhz screenstate is worse for the phone battery wise.

    I know that it does have some issues: the phone takes a second or two to snap out of its 'sleep' and get back into normal CPU speed, apps like Pandora grind to a halt when the screen shuts off.

    But I really do not think it would make your battery life worse.
  11. #51  
    Why am I even arguing this? Every single ****ing laptop in the universe is based off this technology...

    Have you guys never heard of CPU scaling for laptops??

    Like, when you arent using a laptop intensively the CPU's clock speed and voltage scale down dramatically...

    Every single laptop ever is now based off this. Look it up.

    Im done arguing this.

    Wait, Ill look it up for you:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_frequency_scaling

    *EDIT*

    Btw I do realize that in the wikipedia article it does say "Dynamic frequency scaling by itself is rarely worthwhile as a way to conserve switching power."

    I would like to mention that Screenstate scaling is not the same as Dynamic scaling and has nothing to do with "run to idle" either... so please dont try and argue that.
    Last edited by rmausser; 09/05/2010 at 10:58 PM.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Why not just buy a 1400 mah battery and forget about airplane mode. It's only 30 bucks.
    Amazon currently has the OEM Pre battery for only $8.44 with free shipping. The price went up a bit from a few days ago.

    You can also get a Centro/Treo 800w battery off ebay for $3.56 with free shipping. Some people are paranoid about using these but they work fine in the Pre.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions