1.    #1  
    Random thoughts, experiences, questions...
    1) Save money, buy this phone (from Verizon).
    2) From zero to Preware in a matter of days.
    3) Still climbing the learning curve. Advice sought.

Never had a Smartphone, never even considered a Smartphone until I stumbled across a forum mentioning free 3G hotspot (aka free high-speed internet on my home PC). Iím an analyst and tend to research everything I buy. Iím also frugal, and donít like to spend/waste money. Pair that with the fact that I live in rural VA with no DSL lines, no cable TV lines, and no 3G coverage except for Verizon. That nasty combination left me with a $15 dial-up service, about $5 in texting charges to/from my wife, and about $10 in misc data charges ($1.99/mb) for occasionally checking my emails on my old semi-smart phone.
    Enter the Palm Pre Plus.
    Phone is Free.
    Unlimited Data Plan for $29.99 = no more $10 misc data charges.
    Free 3G hotspot = cancelled dial-up for another $15.00 savings.
    Instant Messaging = minus $5 texting charges
    Thatís a break even point, but I get a 20% discount w/ my employer so my data plan = $23.99.
    My math says I just saved $6 per month, while adding a Smartphone and high-speed on my PC.

Bought the phone on a Saturday 2 weeks ago.
    Read and researched everything I could within the first 2 days.
    Installed Preware on Tuesday, 3 days later.
    Patched, Pimped, and Tweaked to my hearts content.
    Added Apps during the first week like a kid in a candy store.
    Deleted Apps during the second week like a responsible adult.
    Now Iím settling on whatís necessary, functional, productive and occasionally fun.
    Thank you to all of the developers and contributors of Preware.
    Youíve made my first experience with a Smartphone incredibly awesome.

With the known GPS issues on this Verizon phone, Iím a little overwhelmed with all of the available patches, fixes, Apps, etc that address this. What Iíd like to know is this: Which one (or which combination of these) would provide my Palm Pre Plus with the best GPS accuracy/performance?

Regarding Sound/Vibrate options, I installed a patch to mute ALL sounds when the ringer is turned off. I consider this my ďWorkĒ setting, because I want absolutely no sounds while Iím at work (in a quiet office). What Iím looking for is something like a ďNight-time EmergencyĒ setting. In other words, when I charge my phone at night, Iíd like to hear my phone ring if someone calls, but I DONíT want to hear the email/text arrival notification sounds at freaking 3am. Is there an easy way to accomplish this?

Camera/Video zoom. I know the difference between optical/digital zoom. I know the difference between cropping/zooming. And I know about the hardware restrictions/capabilities. Donít want to get into a semantics discussion or the why/why nots. I just want to know if thereís a patch that allows digital zooming BEFORE you take a picture or WHILE youíre taking video. Donít care if the end result is the same.

Internet Radio file copying. Is there an App that will allow me to copy internet radio songs to my phone? Not even sure if this is legal. But if Slacker, Pandora, etc is about to play a song that I want to keep/save, Iíd like the capability to immediately record and save it on my phone. Suggestions?

THANK YOU EVERYONE.
    Thanks for such well written and well stated thoughts about your experience.

As for copying songs to your Pre I would HIGHLY recommmend an app called Music Wave Lite. I believe you can easily find it in Preware. Its basically a torrent client and all you have to do is type in the name or artist for a song you want, and most of the time it will find it and you can either play it or save it to your phone.
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

3.    #3  
    Thanks for that QUICK response. Perfect!!!!! I must agree with you on your high recommendation of Music Wave Lite. Already found it, installed it, and saved first song to my phone. Exactly what I was looking for.

Notes to others that may be following this thread...
    It's not an official Palm App. You'll need Preware.
    You're limited to 100 downloads.
    And, once installed, you'll probably need to change the app's preferences to "play songs via default music play". Otherwise, the app may not work. (Thanks to yet another forum for helping me with getting this to work.)
  4.    #4  
    any more advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rw_hoover View Post
    Random thoughts, experiences, questions...

Never had a Smartphone, never even considered a Smartphone until I stumbled across a forum mentioning free 3G hotspot (aka free high-speed internet on my home PC). Iím an analyst and tend to research everything I buy. Iím also frugal, and donít like to spend/waste money. Pair that with the fact that I live in rural VA with no DSL lines, no cable TV lines, and no 3G coverage except for Verizon. That nasty combination left me with a $15 dial-up service, about $5 in texting charges to/from my wife, and about $10 in misc data charges ($1.99/mb) for occasionally checking my emails on my old semi-smart phone.
    Enter the Palm Pre Plus.
    Phone is Free.
    Unlimited Data Plan for $29.99 = no more $10 misc data charges.
    Free 3G hotspot = cancelled dial-up for another $15.00 savings.
    Instant Messaging = minus $5 texting charges
    Thatís a break even point, but I get a 20% discount w/ my employer so my data plan = $23.99.
    My math says I just saved $6 per month, while adding a Smartphone and high-speed on my PC.

Bought the phone on a Saturday 2 weeks ago.
    Read and researched everything I could within the first 2 days.
    Installed Preware on Tuesday, 3 days later.
    Patched, Pimped, and Tweaked to my hearts content.
    Added Apps during the first week like a kid in a candy store.
    Deleted Apps during the second week like a responsible adult.
    Now Iím settling on whatís necessary, functional, productive and occasionally fun.
    Thank you to all of the developers and contributors of Preware.
    Youíve made my first experience with a Smartphone incredibly awesome.

With the known GPS issues on this Verizon phone, Iím a little overwhelmed with all of the available patches, fixes, Apps, etc that address this. What Iíd like to know is this: Which one (or which combination of these) would provide my Palm Pre Plus with the best GPS accuracy/performance?

Regarding Sound/Vibrate options, I installed a patch to mute ALL sounds when the ringer is turned off. I consider this my ďWorkĒ setting, because I want absolutely no sounds while Iím at work (in a quiet office). What Iím looking for is something like a ďNight-time EmergencyĒ setting. In other words, when I charge my phone at night, Iíd like to hear my phone ring if someone calls, but I DONíT want to hear the email/text arrival notification sounds at freaking 3am. Is there an easy way to accomplish this?

Camera/Video zoom. I know the difference between optical/digital zoom. I know the difference between cropping/zooming. And I know about the hardware restrictions/capabilities. Donít want to get into a semantics discussion or the why/why nots. I just want to know if thereís a patch that allows digital zooming BEFORE you take a picture or WHILE youíre taking video. Donít care if the end result is the same.

Internet Radio file copying. Is there an App that will allow me to copy internet radio songs to my phone? Not even sure if this is legal. But if Slacker, Pandora, etc is about to play a song that I want to keep/save, Iíd like the capability to immediately record and save it on my phone. Suggestions?

THANK YOU EVERYONE.
    I have a sprint pre, so I can't comment on the VZW stuff, sorry.

Well in regards to the night mode, there is an app in Preware called "Mode Switcher". It's quite powerful in the sense of changing how your phone alerts and services run during certain times of the day, location, wifi event, etc. I recommend downloading and playing around with it. You can set your alerts to vibrate while your calls to ring from 9 pm to 6 am and the like.

As of right now, I don't know of any cropping or zooming options because the API for the camera hasn't been released to the developers yet. As soon as it is (Here's to hoping 2.0!) I'm sure you'll see all sorts of options for that.

And what you want to do to record music playing, I'm not sure that would be possible without patching the apps to do so. Unless someone can write an app to capture the output sound coming from the phone. I wonder if that's possible, but not at the moment I would think. Please correct me if I'm wrong someone!

Good luck with your Pre and WebOS, I'm sure you'll have a hard time switching if you ever do. It seems I know what an iFanboy feels like now...
  6.    #6  
    Thanks! Mode Switcher was exactly what I needed. Been playing around with it for the past day and half, am able to set a "mode" for night-time like I mentioned. I also set a "drive home" mode with turns my ringers back on at the end of my work day, and auto-launches Pandora to my favorite station so I don't have to fiddle with it in the car. Perfect. Thanks again.

Now, If someone could help me with the GPS question I'll be good to go for awhile. Anyone? Anyone?

On a side note...any new rumors on the 1.4.5 release for the Verizon Pre Plus?
    On a side note...any new rumors on the 1.4.5 release for the Verizon Pre Plus?
    The latest rumor is that there's a chance we'll NEVER get it, at least not before WebOS 2.0. I don't quite believe that, mainly because AT&T customers haven't gotten the update either. Something is holding it up but no one is saying exactly what. VZW says it's Palm, and Palm says it's VZW.
  8.    #8  
    Bummer. Hoper that rumor is just a rumor.

Another side note related to Mode Switcher...
    Here's another mode that might be helpful so some: Video Boost Mode.
    It's ramps up Govnah to 1gz immediately upon opening of the Camera/Video App.
    I did this because the video on my Pre Plus seems a bit choppy, but when I take the same video with the speed doubled to 1gz it looked really smooth. Maybe that's just me.
    The mode then defaults the speed back down to the default 500 when the app is closed.
    Bummer. Hoper that rumor is just a rumor.

Another side note related to Mode Switcher...
    Here's another mode that might be helpful so some: Video Boost Mode.
    It's ramps up Govnah to 1gz immediately upon opening of the Camera/Video App.
    I did this because the video on my Pre Plus seems a bit choppy, but when I take the same video with the speed doubled to 1gz it looked really smooth. Maybe that's just me.
    The mode then defaults the speed back down to the default 500 when the app is closed.
    Interesting idea. Thanks for sharing that.