Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Hi all,

i having this problem where by i am unable to charge my pre to 100% on usb thru a computer. Although it say 100% on my status but in the battery monitor will hover between 97 99 96 etc as if the usage is more then the charge.
    Anyone encounter this problem before?
    Just a descrepancy. Sometimes the battery calibration can go a little off. Like when users report that their Pre dies right after the 20% battery warning. Theres a homebrew app for it called BatteryDr. Look it up if you homebrew...

-Gu1l7y
    "It is innocent, unless found Gu1l7y.
    Quote Originally Posted by amuroray View Post
    Hi all,

i having this problem where by i am unable to charge my pre to 100% on usb thru a computer. Although it say 100% on my status but in the battery monitor will hover between 97 99 96 etc as if the usage is more then the charge.
    Anyone encounter this problem before?
    The usage will probably not more than the charge since in the end of charging (near 100%) it's using very very low current. It starts (at 0 %) with say 500mAh and ends (at 100%) with say 15mAh.

If you install Dr.Battery you can watch the "Battery Status Register" Flags. When the BATTERY decides to be full it sets the Charge-Termination Flag (CHGTF). Then the device stops charging. This will will stay on even so the level is less than 100% e.g. 95%.

This is done to protect the battery from overcharge and the way you should handle a battery connect to a charger. I think this is the reason Palm decided to not show the actual % but some GUI value to not confuse the users.
    So in the status on top it shows 100% while on charger even though it may be 95%.

You probably know there is a patch in preware to show the Actual Percentage in the status bar.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Hi,

i start to observed my pre when charging since i got Dr Battery and Battery monitor i learn that when the battery status say 100% is not always is. I notice when i charged using usb cable thru a computer my battery will not top up to 100% always hover around 98 87 96 etc when the battery status state is 100% on the top bar.

anyone having same experience?
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    The usage will probably not more than the charge since in the end of charging (near 100%) it's using very very low current. It starts (at 0 %) with say 500mAh and ends (at 100%) with say 15mAh.

If you install Dr.Battery you can watch the "Battery Status Register" Flags. When the BATTERY decides to be full it sets the Charge-Termination Flag (CHGTF). Then the device stops charging. This will will stay on even so the level is less than 100% e.g. 95%.

This is done to protect the battery from overcharge and the way you should handle a battery connect to a charger. I think this is the reason Palm decided to not show the actual % but some GUI value to not confuse the users.
    So in the status on top it shows 100% while on charger even though it may be 95%.

You probably know there is a patch in preware to show the Actual Percentage in the status bar.
    So that why, thanks for the explaination. Man.. i really freak out with pre battery maybe i really should stop worrying and stop enjoying it.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Haha, do you have the "Show Actual battery Percentage" patch installed?

The Phone gets to 100% and then stop charging and drains until it gets to about 95% and then starts again. This is to protect the device from people who just leave their phone on the charger forever and increases the battery life of the device

If this is the case then your phone is charging to 100% but you just happen to look at it when it went drains from 100%.

If you dont have the "show actual percentage" patch then I do no know what it wrong with you phone

Hope I helped!

EDIT: Battery monitor shows you the Actual Battery percentage. So Yea my explanation is what is happening to you. Its not a Problem, its a good thing in fact. I guess just watch your phone more closely and more often and you will catch it at the 100%
    sounds to me like you have a faulty battery... It's either that or the sensor in your phone is bad as well. most likely though it's your battery is screwing up. take kit to sprint to get a free replacement.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    ya this is normal with lition batteries. there is a computer chip in them that reads the power and after a while this gets less and less accurate. you can either use the dr battery app (mentioned above) or let the battery die completely every once in a while (which isnt best for the battery for some reason...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaikh View Post
    Haha, do you have the "Show Actual battery Percentage" patch installed?

The Phone gets to 100% and then stop charging and drains until it gets to about 95% and then starts again.
    Yes, without the "show actual battery percent" patch installed (stock Pre), the top bar will read 100% any time the battery is between 94% and 100%. When the Pre is charging and reaches 100%, charging stops until the Pre discharges to 94% and then charging starts again. This cycle continues as long as the battery is hooked up to the charger.

First thing I do is install the patch so that the top bar always reads the actual battery percentage.