Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know a lot of webOS users are tempted by the latest and greatest smartphones. I certainly was when I retired my Pre and upgraded to the EVO 4G. I just wanted to share my experience.

Gadgets on the Go: Goodbye EVO. Welcome back Pre!
    Jimmie Geddes
    Im trying to talk my friends out of the EVO, it seems with a battery drain that intense no one should own it, I guess that sounded a little harsh, Im sure its a great phone though
    Interesting article... welcome back to webOS
    nice ! they will all come back eventually !! lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  5.    #5  
    Thanks, it feels great to be back!
    Jimmie Geddes
    Plus no Angry Birds on EVO. ha ha
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    I know a lot of webOS users are tempted by the latest and greatest smartphones. I certainly was when I retired my Pre and upgraded to the EVO 4G. I just wanted to share my experience.

Gadgets on the Go: Goodbye EVO. Welcome back Pre!
    Welcome back. Unlike a lot of Pre-launch owner or die-hard early adopters, I'm going to say that I think those of you who leave WebOs to try a new device when you're happy with WebOs are brave.

I just don't have it in me to try a new device unless I'm unhappy with my current device. I just don't want to start a new learning curve and I probably wouldn't give trial device a good enough try.
    I'm waiting for new hardware then I'll be back
    Motorola i95cl> i733> i760> i860> i880> ic902> Palm Pre> HTC EVO4G> atrix 4g> unlocked gsm pre 2
    Seems more like a user or bad app issue with the battery. My Evo lasts an entire work day no problem with no task manager, while my pre is usually dead after 5-6 with zero usage. Even at 1ghz my Pre atm just can't keep pace with my Evo in any way. WebOS is better than Android imho, but hardware wise is why I'm sticking with my Evo until Palm releases something at least close to equal. My Pre is now devoted to only playing Angry Birds and buying random apps for my profile and to supports Devs. I really can't wait to use WebOS full time again. My 2nd line premier upgrade is up so now I am patiently waiting for HP and Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by kandekilla View Post
    Seems more like a user or bad app issue with the battery. My Evo lasts an entire work day no problem with no task manager, while my pre is usually dead after 5-6 with zero usage. Even at 1ghz my Pre atm just can't keep pace with my Evo in any way. WebOS is better than Android imho, but hardware wise is why I'm sticking with my Evo until Palm releases something at least close to equal. My Pre is now devoted to only playing Angry Birds and buying random apps for my profile and to supports Devs. I really can't wait to use WebOS full time again. My 2nd line premier upgrade is up so now I am patiently waiting for HP and Palm.
    perhaps your pre experience, especially battery wise, is linked to the same things you propose causing problems for the OP. 5-6 hours of battery on a pre without any intense use is very abnormal.

that said the evo is a great phone and your experiances are the most important when deciding on what device to use. I too would love to see some inovative and high quality hardware to match those qualitya in the OS from palm.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by kandekilla View Post
    Once I started using Advanced Task Killer, Auto Memory, and Process Manager my battery life got better. I was opening those a few times a day to see what was running and killing the apps that would open due to opening another app. In my opinion if you need to monitor your smartphone with a task manager and process manager it gets very old fast needing to use those apps to improve battery life (a few times a day). It reminded me of the way Windows Mobile had task managers and process killers for the same reason. It's just too much to constantly monitor what's going on in the background.

http://www.androidcentral.com/how-pr...s-i-went-there

An application starts, either because you started it or the developer sees a benefit in having it run behind the scenes. Some examples of the last bit -

* When you add or remove an application, Google Voice starts (if it was not running). It scans the application to see if needs to use or share any functions with it. Install a new text-to-speech engine? Google Voice will use it.
    * Copy some pictures from your SD card to your computer? The gallery needs to start up when you remount your SD card to check for new pictures or videos so it can scan them and have them ready to show in the right spot.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    perhaps your pre experience, especially battery wise, is linked to the same things you propose causing problems for the OP. 5-6 hours of battery on a pre without any intense use is very abnormal.
    +1
    My pre can sit idle for 20 hours+ with gps on and still have 95% left.

Back to the topic......OP welcome back!! I wouldn't have ever left for the evo, but I may for the epic once it gets to fro-yo(maybe).
    i dont know what everyone does that cant get a day out of their Pre. i dont talk alot, i do txt a bit but i am going from web site to web site and even listen to Pandora at work and at the end of the night i put it on my touchstone. there is about 30% left at the end of the night.

i am 1 week after Pre launch owner and i had a problem with the headphone jack, they replaced it in 2 days and not any other problems.

if i am the exception then i consider myself lucky. i think there are alot of WebOS haters that troll this site talking caca
    I've had a Droid X in my possession the last couple days and I don't even use it. I am supposed to be evaluating it for work but I always seem to reach for the Pre. Go figure.

It is nice and fast though. WebOS on that hardware would be sweet (with a keyboard of course)
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    nice ! they will all come back eventually !! lol

Not I said the guy there's nothing wrong with my battery it last all day...there's always going to be a few coming back but there are more leaving than returning.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    DUde just go get an EPIC! Its ROCKS!
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    Not I said the guy there's nothing wrong with my battery it last all day...there's always going to be a few coming back but there are more leaving than returning.
    I guess the people who would actually have this figure, would be Sprint. And it may still be misleading. How many Preowners did Sprint have by the end of 6 months. Do they have more or less Pre-owners now.

Not that it matters. The OP tested the waters and came back. Welcome back OP, I'm that you stayed active in the forum while you were gone; but if not, check out Neato ! and Mode switcher. There's a few long time favorites, but I'm sure you already use those.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I've had some problems with my Evo battery here and there.
    I'm using an Epic now and love the hardware but am still figuring out the OS. I still use my Sprint Pre for some things and have a GSM pre I use when I travel to Europe. I will buy the next WebOS device when it comes out if the hardware is anything close to the Epic.
    Quite a nice short article. I agreed with you about android especially what you said about task management.

I've played HTC EVO 4G for 2 days. and I'm quite amazed with the big screen and speed. Yet the battery drain is the same matter with my Pre plus. So I ignored it for the comparison. The main drawback HTC EVO 4G is the OS itself. Yes Android OS already grow very fast, but yet they can't do manage run app properly, still need additional task manager like on old Windows Mobile. This is the weakest point of android OS. secondly which I personally dislike is the browser. even HTC already customized the browser for better use. still can't beat WebOS browser. So big screen on HTC EVO 4G useless at all because of standard browser. I haven't tried dolphin browser on HTC EVO 4G, it is better then standard browser on Android OS, yet it needs more power of CPU, and I think 1GHz on HTC EVO 4G can handle it better, but the GUI on dolphin quite confusing, so I'm not too sure I will happy with dolphin even it will runs good on HTC EVO 4G. So up till now.. I'm forced to use Opera Mobile to browse internet. It has many lacks, but still I found, it is the quickest and efficient browser on android.

More drawback of android os is the Gmail apps. I found that Gmail app can't display properly compared to the one on WebOS.
    I give you example. If I send a mail to my customers that contain list of name/product, and my receiver just reply my mail and delete what name/product they don't want to order , then Gmail on android can't display the reply email completely. It just give a part of it from start to middle then the last part missing, I can't find any way to make it display completely. WebOS gmail can display all replay email completely without any missing. Anyone ever have this same problem?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast