Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    the new froyo update seems to kill the battery issue, but then again, I've never really been a big fan of companies skinning phone operating systems. I mean look at webOS!! It's nice and sleek, the original skin for andriod is the same way, but companies still screw with it!
    Quote Originally Posted by manordwall View Post
    Im trying to talk my friends out of the EVO, it seems with a battery drain that intense no one should own it, I guess that sounded a little harsh, Im sure its a great phone though
    Pot, meet kettle.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Quote Originally Posted by abbdu4 View Post
    I'm waiting for new hardware then I'll be back
    I couldn't agree more. I left for the EVO and it is a great phone. I also still love WebOS though and will probably come back when they come out with better hardware.
    i heard palm isnt going to let unfaithful evo switchers come back.. so get used to that clunky os!!!
    I still don't see how the EVO with a 64K color screen is considered 'good' hardware being released a year after the Pre. If hardware was the key selling point, then everyone would be buying an iPhone 4 which has superior hardware to the EVO in every possible way save the antenna.. Lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    then everyone would be buying an iPhone 4 which has superior hardware to the EVO in every possible way save the antenna.. Lol.
    And the proximity sensor.
    And the glass that seems to crack badly and too easily.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Well glass is glass... lets be realistic here. You drop glass... it breaks. I'd rather have that than dead pixels, screens that separate from the phone for no reason, SD card issues.. to name a few. That still doesn't take away from the fact that the iPhone 4 takes better pictures and video, better screen with more color, pixel density, and pixel count, and most likely a faster CPU although the specs of the A4 aren't really known that well, the iPhone 4 doesn't seem to have a problem with running an Unreal engine or ID soft engine with full blown texture mapping, bumping, etc. Bettery battery life, better sound and mics, better wifi, but ok i'll give the Evo for having 4G that no one has, eats battery life, and costs extra.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Well glass is glass... lets be realistic here. You drop glass... it breaks. I'd rather have that than dead pixels, screens that separate from the phone for no reason, SD card issues.. to name a few. That still doesn't take away from the fact that the iPhone 4 takes better pictures and video, better screen with more color, pixel density, and pixel count, and most likely a faster CPU although the specs of the A4 aren't really known that well, the iPhone 4 doesn't seem to have a problem with running an Unreal engine or ID soft engine with full blown texture mapping, bumping, etc. Bettery battery life, better sound and mics, better wifi, but ok i'll give the Evo for having 4G that no one has, eats battery life, and costs extra.
    The A4 and Snapdragon are about on par with each other when it comes to speed, but the GPU in the iPhone 4 blows the EVO's GPU out of the water.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    The A4 and Snapdragon are about on par with each other when it comes to speed, but the GPU in the iPhone 4 blows the EVO's GPU out of the water.
    Scorpion on snapdragon is a higher pipelined A8 variant (it also has some features borrowed from A9). Clock per clock however a 1GHz Hummingbird or A4 will be ahead of scorpion.

The graphics processor on snapdragon is also less capable than SGX535 on the iphone and SGX540 on galaxy S. It may even be slower than SGX530 on the OMAP 3430. However most of these graphics processors are not running at their optimal speeds and do not have the bandwidth needed to perform their best (along with snapdragon).

In real world tests a 1GHz snapdragon IS slower than a 1 GHz Cortex A8. however, iPhone 4 actually has an 800 MHz Cortex A8. It seems snappier simply because of the OS and how it handles tasks. Optimization can make things seem very very fast while a poorly optimized code can make a very fast system appear slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by manordwall View Post
    Im trying to talk my friends out of the EVO, it seems with a battery drain that intense no one should own it, I guess that sounded a little harsh, Im sure its a great phone though
    2 Days on stock battery isn't intense...
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    I'm using an Epic now and love the hardware but am still figuring out the OS. I still use my Sprint Pre for some things and have a GSM pre I use when I travel to Europe. I will buy the next WebOS device when it comes out if the hardware is anything close to the Epic.
    Oh no! Pastor Rich has converted.

Oh ye of little faith.

(just kidding--enjoy your new phone)
    I don't see how some of you can enjoy handling such large phones. Yesterday I spoke with a guy who owns and Iphone 4 and he was saying that his friend with an EVO is now complaining that the phone is too darn big. Really???? It is a 4.3in screen just like the Droid X, Epic which are all in that 4in screen range.

Palm needs to keep the next Pre in the 3.5 to 3.7 inch range, especially since it is a slider.

Op, welcome back.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by shukero View Post
    the new froyo update seems to kill the battery issue, but then again, I've never really been a big fan of companies skinning phone operating systems. I mean look at webOS!! It's nice and sleek, the original skin for andriod is the same way, but companies still screw with it!
    I guarantee that as soon as HPalm starts licensing webOS (which they need to do for it to be successful in the smartphone arena) you will see "skins" with it to. The manufacterers ned some way to differentiate themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    I guarantee that as soon as HPalm starts licensing webOS (which they need to do for it to be successful in the smartphone arena) you will see "skins" with it to. The manufacterers ned some way to differentiate themselves.
    Err - what?

Palm - before getting bought by HP was considering licensing as a way to get enough money to stay afloat.

Post-buyout this is no longer a problem. Why would HP consider licensing?

What webos needs is a couple new state-of-the art phones out within the next few months and a proper ad campaign.
    Plus some time to get the app catalog selection into 5 figures - among them a handful of strategic apps like an office suite etc...

Licensing would get a larger number of phones out in a short time - but the likeliest manufacturers are already heavily invested in Android. And I don't see why HPalm would want to see webos diluted by that.

I would be very surprised if there is any licensing.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5

16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    I know a lot of webOS users are tempted by the latest and greatest smartphones. I certainly was when I retired my Pre and upgraded to the EVO 4G. I just wanted to share my experience.

Gadgets on the Go: Goodbye EVO. Welcome back Pre!
    +1,
    I just did that after using the Evo for two months.
    I like my Pre. That's why I've stuck through it even though it has had be replaced many many times. I'm on my 6th one as of last week.
    I moved to the Epic from the Pre. I miss the Pre and WebOS, but I am enjoying learning the Android OS. It is clunky and requires some "oversight" on my part, but it is still a good system. The 4" SAMOLED screen and 1Ghz Hummingbird are both superb.

I may come back to WebOS someday, but I am waiting for hardware and app improvements before I do. It sounds like WebOS 2.0 will be great, but hopefully the hardware will be great too(I am thinking the Samsung 1Ghz dual core A9 would be a good start)
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aypanthony View Post
    I moved to the Epic from the Pre. I miss the Pre and WebOS, but I am enjoying learning the Android OS. It is clunky and requires some "oversight" on my part, but it is still a good system. The 4" SAMOLED screen and 1Ghz Hummingbird are both superb.

I may come back to WebOS someday, but I am waiting for hardware and app improvements before I do. It sounds like WebOS 2.0 will be great, but hopefully the hardware will be great too(I am thinking the Samsung 1Ghz dual core A9 would be a good start)
    Agreed the Epic is indeed an amazing phone
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12