Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    I've had my Pre since March and within the first month I got my first stuck in headset mode. I was able to clear it by plugging in my headset, calling voicemail, then unplugging headset. About a month later, it happened again, same fix. In May when it happened again, the same fix didn't work. I started trying some of the fixes here, like the audio test and re-boot. When that worked, I was OK for a couple of weeks, until it happened again and I couldn't clear it. I called Sprint and he had me shut down, he re-freshed services, and (probably coincidentally) it then worked. I was hit with the bug again last week and I had to deal with it for a week until I could make the drive to Reno to the Sprint store. There, the tech cleared the problem in less than a minute, but it returned two days later. I was able to clear it by blowing in the jack, but it re-occured two days later. Again, blowing and inserting and removing the headset repeatedly cleared it.

What I'm getting at is, does this problem become more and more frequent once it starts or is it just coincidence that it is happening to me a lot in the past two weeks? I'm afraid to use the headset jack anymore, but I like having hands free for car use.
    if it's related to a hardware problem in the jack, yes.
    Try cleaning it out with an air can.
    Spray some air into it to flush out the debris.
    It will keep getting worse.

I had the same issue with my first pre. The headset trick worked for a little then stopped. I took it to the sprint store and they "cleaned it out" and got it working. I tried telling them the next time I plug a headset in it would do it again. They didn't believe me. After a few minutes of arguing with these clowns, they reluctantly gave me a set of headsets so I could show them it will get stuck again. It did.... The repair rep wasn't pleased with me because I proved him wrong. He kept saying it was just dirty/had lint in the jack. They eventually replaced the pre with a referb. Which (ironically) wouldn't do any sound through the headset, speaker phone, or ear piece. Had to make yet another trip to the store and have them replace it again.
    Problems like these are very frequent with the phones. No one can be sure if these problem can get worse or not. There is the possibility of anything getting bad over a period of time > if not correctly fix.
    Last edited by RL; 09/02/2010 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Error fixing.
    Mine gets worse, gets better, gets worse, gets better, etc...
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    In my case it's the opposite. I think frequent use improves the situation. I use my headphone jack daily and am to the point where I don't have to check it anymore when I unplug it. My Pre is now 11 Months old and hasn't gotten stuck in 5 Months.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Pretty consistent for me. About once a month the jack gets enough gunk in there to cause this. Little alcohol and a beheaded Q-Tip seems to fix it every time, but it's very annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by grcswoosh View Post
    Little alcohol and a beheaded Q-Tip seems to fix it every time, but it's very annoying.
    A couple of beers solve most of my problems too.
    My phone has a loose headphone jack which makes the audio stutter during phone call and sometimes the phone thinks a headphone is plugged in when I move the phone around. You might have had the same problem on your first phone.
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdoinit View Post
    Try cleaning it out with an air can.
    Spray some air into it to flush out the debris.
    I did do that and it fixed it (this time), but my worry is that I have had occasions where it does not, and for me a trip to the Sprint store is 60 miles away and something I only have time for on the weekend. If I knew that the air can or anything worked every time, I wouldn't worry or even post here. As it is, however, the problem itself is so flaky I cannot predict what will happen when.

Very frustrating!
    Take a Qtip and remove part of the cotton, so it will fit in the earphone jack. Spray a little WD-40 (or electronic parts cleaner) on the Qtip. Gently clean out all the dirt in the earphone jack. This has worked every time for me (perhaps 5 times in the last 10 months or so.)
    I tried everything and my launch day pre kept getting worse... i traded it in and now because of poor quality refurbs... i'm on number 5... ask for a NEW one and NOT a refurb... My one refurb had a tiny screw fall out and jam the phone open.. another had the space bar in the "down" position.. other was registering "touches" when nothing was touching it..

The quality control on the refurbs is bad IMHO
    is this really a problem with jack in the palm pre/pixi? as I've been an owner of ipod touch 1g since the first launch..and never in one second had a problem with the jack..
    This is making me to consider, to use the headphone in palm pre/pixi or not..
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    In my case it's the opposite. I think frequent use improves the situation. I use my headphone jack daily and am to the point where I don't have to check it anymore when I unplug it. My Pre is now 11 Months old and hasn't gotten stuck in 5 Months.
    --this--
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    --this--
    anyhow, I will be using headphone as handsfree only..currently still pushing the life out of my ipod touch 1g.. thanx btw
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    You could always just man up and get an iPhone
    yes it gets worse, after mine started getting moderatly bad I stopped using the headset and it still got worse, after a few trips to Sprint and their cleaning without fixing it I got a refurb.
    to me this seems like the single worst problem with the pre. I use a bluetooth headset now because I don't want to talk on speaker phone anymore when I don't have a headset plug handy to fix it.
    just go to sprint and let them know, just be prepared to potentially get more then one refurb as my first had problems right away and from what I've seen that's not uncommon.
    the next device better have better build quality
    Search for the application The Ghastly Headset. It does work and it forces the audio back to the right speakers. You hope that helps!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast