Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,344 Global Posts
    I emailed Verizon Wireless's CEO Lowell McAdam about GPS, OS roll outs, and NFL app on Palm devices. I did this last week and today got a response from Mike Rozzuto (sure I'm spelling it wrong) from Verizon Wireless's President's Office. He called me because I had emailed Mr. McAdam and he wanted to contact me and see what he could do to resolve my issues.

I asked him why Verizon takes so long with OS updates across all devices not just Palm. He told me that they do a lot of tests with the upcoming new OS releases and want to make sure that all security holes have been plugged before sending it out to the users, because if they just sent it out and issues arose then Verizon would get flooded with calls about the issue. He told me that Verizon DOES have 1.4.5 and is testing it internally and should be released soon. He did say that he doesn't want to give a time/date/month/year because he doesn't want to set a expectation when the OS could be pushed back.

Next we spoke about GPS. I asked him why smartphones are still being locked out of GPS when its built into the phone. He told me that it all has to do with security. He said that Verizon makes sure that us users are not sending out information to 3rd party GPS apps that could harm our personal information. He did say that once Verizon launches LTE that GPS wont be a issue and every phone will be able to use 3rd party GPS apps without issue. I also asked why Verizon is still charging for VZNav when other carries are not charging for their premium navigation apps. He did say that Verizon is looking into possibly making VZNav free sometime in 2011.

Last we talked about the NFL app and Verizon's support with Palm. I asked Mike why none of the webOS devices are getting the NFL app when they are considered a smartphones. He told me that when Verizon bought the rights to the NFL app that its was only intended to run on Android devices. Although they did figure out a way to put the NFL app on BlackBerrys and other feature phones. He did say that they are looking at putting this onto more devices soon and that the Pre might not have the specs to run it.

We then started talking about the backing behind Palm devices on Verizon. He told me that Verizon does support Palm and the webOS users. He did tell me that you have to look at how well the Pre and Pixi sold on Verizon. I immediately then said, lets look at what Verizon was selling and pushing like no other 2 months before the Palm devices came out. He had nothing to say on that. He said that he hopes to see new devices come out on Verizon since HP bought Palm. He told me that if I have any issues to give him a call. Mike also said that I should keep an eye on the blogs that are for Palm because when they post that a update is coming they are usually right.

So with that ended our call. I'm not sure how high up Mike is in the circle of life in Verizon but it was nice to know that I emailed the CEO and I got a phone call from someone within Verizon about my email. I have been contemplating on giving out his number so the rest of the Verizon Pre Plus users can contact him but I don't want us to spam him with our "hate" because he was a very nice person to speak with. Here is the email that I sent to Mr.McAdam:

Dear Mr. McAdam,

I want to thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to read my email. I have been a Verizon Wireless customer for 7 years now and have stood behind anything Verizon has done. I am emailing you today for some help, I currently use the Palm Pre Plus and have been using this device since it's launch back in January. One thing has been made very clear with Verizon and the Pre Plus is that it was over looked for anything Android. It is also made very clear that Verizon doesn't support this device, what bothers me is that I am still required to pay the $29.99 data plan every month but yet still miss out on one of Verizon's biggest pick ups in my opinion is the NFL app. I don't understand how "Feature Phone" can get this great app and yet a "Smart Phone" has yet to receive this feature. I am also upset that Palm has released its newest OS 1.4.5 to all carriers and yet we Verizon Pre Plus users still don't have this update. I know that you don't have any "say so" over Device OS updates and what apps/features are released on phones. What I am looking for is help to get in touch with whom can shed some light on this issue. Again I would like to thank you for taking the time to read my email.

Sincerely,

Chad Leach

So I'm not sure what this does for us but I just wanted to get some answers. Thanks to you for reading my long post.
    I hope you realize that every single answer he gave you is a load of cr@p, right?

If any of that were true, other platforms would have the same issues.

The fact is they don't understand location-based services and why a GPS matters for something other than navigation while driving. Security has NOTHING to do with this.

The fact is that the Pre has the same horsepower as android phones currently running the app, and far greater horsepower than feature phones that have it.

Lack of 1.4.5 for the Pre has NOTHING to do with security or they couldn't have released it for the Pixi.

It's common to hide behind "security" as the best way to deflect complaints. The more they hide behind security, the more you know they don't intend to resolve the issue.

That's very disappointing to me as a longstanding (and high-paying) VZ customer.

That's just the biggest pile of nonsense I've heard in a long time. Tell him to call me!
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/02/2010 at 04:07 PM. Reason: fixed typo
    Global Posts
    1,344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    I hope you realize that every single answer he gave you is a load of cr@p, right?

If any of that were true, other platforms would have the same issues.

The fact is they don't understand location-based services and why a GPS matters for something other than navigation while driving. Security has NOTHING to do with this.

The fact is that the Pre has the same horsepower as android phones currently running the app, and far greater horsepower than feature phones that have it.

Lack of 1.4.5 for the Pre has NOTHING to do with security or they couldn't have released it for the Pixi.

It's common to hide behind "security" as the best way to deflect complaints. The more they hide behind security, the more you know they don't intend to resolve the issue.

That's very disappointing to me as a longstanding (and high-paying) VZ customer.

That's just the biggest pile of nonsense I've heard in a long time. Tell him to call me!
    I know it was. I'm not stupid. I just wanted to post that I got a response from emailing the CEO... I know how everything works. I let him say what he had to say and didn't grill him and act like a jerk on the phone, thats not how I am.

As for high paying... I am right behind you on that... I've dropped tons of cash into full retail on phones from all the berrys on VZW to all android phones but the X and Droid 2. Paid full retail for the pixi and pre... along with having 2 accounts with them. 1 with 5 lines and the other with 2 lines. It does suck we get crap answers.
    I am so glad I am not with "the network" that thinks I am a security risk to myself because I can't figure out what "location services" are. It looks like verizon employees from top to bottom think their customers cannot think for themselves; maybe that's why the "droid" campaign was so successful.

I would have hit him with the same thing: You mean to tell me that you didn't care about the security of Pixi users!

Of course, it is academic for me -- I have Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaCl1ck View Post
    I know it was. I'm not stupid. I just wanted to post that I got a response from emailing the CEO... I know how everything works. I let him say what he had to say and didn't grill him and act like a jerk on the phone, thats not how I am.

As for high paying... I am right behind you on that... I've dropped tons of cash into full retail on phones from all the berrys on VZW to all android phones but the X and Droid 2. Paid full retail for the pixi and pre... so it does suck we get crap answers.
    If that's the case, I'm honestly surprised you didn't ask follow-up questions or otherwise force him to actually explain such sweeping generalities and insulting your intelligence with such garbage. You can be nice, but asking him how they could release the same code for the pixi while still concerned about security for the Pre... that's a reasonable follow up. Horsepower on featurephones, etc.

But, thanks for posting it. It really irritates me that they insulted your intelligence. But I really appreciate your effort and I hope you will be able to keep your dialog going with them. Kudos to you!
    Global Posts
    1,344 Global Posts
    If that's the case, I'm honestly surprised you didn't ask follow-up questions or otherwise force him to actually explain such sweeping generalities and insulting your intelligence with such garbage. You can be nice, but asking him how they could release the same code for the pixi while still concerned about security for the Pre... that's a reasonable follow up. Horsepower on featurephones, etc.

But, thanks for posting it. It really irritates me that they insulted your intelligence. But I really appreciate your effort and I hope you will be able to keep your dialog going with them. Kudos to you!
    I will say that when I got the call and we started talking everything went from my mind. I did have to be calm because he was basically telling me things like I was 3 and I didn't want to be "that guy" when you finally get a hold of someone "higher up" that you just become a D!ck and start yelling or become rude that they don't listen and just get off the phone.
    Maybe it has more to do with Pre Plus specific stuff like overclocking. Or maybe they focused more on the Pixi Plus to pull in tweens who want gaming phones. And maybe webOS 1.4.5 fixes break certain control "features" on the network and again Pixi needed the update. Or maybe...
    "just like your rims still spin even after your car stops/ then where will you spend eternity after your heart stops huh?"
    or maybe I've got a bridge I'd like to sell ya
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaCl1ck View Post
    I will say that when I got the call and we started talking everything went from my mind. I did have to be calm because he was basically telling me things like I was 3 and I didn't want to be "that guy" when you finally get a hold of someone "higher up" that you just become a D!ck and start yelling or become rude that they don't listen and just get off the phone.
    LOL - from your initial email it's clear that you are so not that guy, which I expect is why you got the courtesy of a personal call. Nice one.
    or maybe I've got a bridge I'd like to sell ya
    oh oh oh i want to buy that bridge
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Verizon really needs to quit with this we put OS releases through serious "testing" to make sure bugs do not exist because it has always been a load of BS.
    I'm quite irritated that they are already talking about update 2.0 and we VZ customers don't even have 1.4.5 yet!
    Plus the rep who responded to me about GPS said there is absolutely nothing wrong with the GPS.
    Jolie

"If my Pre were a man I'd marry him!"

I don't need to understand the way you think I need to, I understand the way I think I need to.
    Face it Verizon is fragmenting WebOS with their lack of care. We will be lucky if we get the 1.4.5 update in September. I doubt the Pre+ or Pixi+ will get 2.0 because Verizon will say they "dont have the hardware". That way we can be suckered into another phone they will drop support for after a month or two.
    "Lowell McAdam gave a very good detailed response. I think he deserves credit for answering honestly and truthfully. Furthermore, I think the security issues of the GPS access by 3rd party applications, is detrimental to both the user and the device. Thank you"

Sincerely,
    Steve Zipperstein
    Executive Leadership
    I love the Palm Pre and I hope the retain the design and beef up the specs for Sprint!

Currently:
    1.1ghz - F104 patch + Govnah
    Mobile HotSpot setup
    Sprint backed 3g fire in Sacramento, CA
    Preware yoked
    Customized beyond belief. I have a great phone, it runs like a champ.
    Pandora, Radiotune, uTorrent control, Sprint Nav, Touchstone packed car, audio source. You name it my phone is doing it.
    webOS is the best OS I have used on a phone.. bar none!
    So 3rd party having access if just detrimental to WebOS users and not Android users???

Go play in traffic Sir Steve Zipperstein (lol @ last name)
    Walk into any store with a Pre and you will see just how deep Verizon's hatred for Palm goes...
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonPre View Post
    Walk into any store with a Pre and you will see just how deep Verizon's hatred for Palm goes...
    Today I was told by a VZW technician that VZW sold more KIN devices in total than webOS devices. I asked him where he got that incorrect figure. When he told me "common knowledge," I told him that this is why most people aren't worthy of owning webOS devices.
    My theory is most Verizon customers are people who want phones that "just work". My wife tends to fall into this category in her frustration with her pre, because as simple as the pre is once you take the time to really learn all it offers, its functions definitely are not intuitive and dont jump out at you.

The average user wants to be able to pick up a new phone and figure out how to work it without directions, and based on their prior knowledge of phones. This used to be simple when all phones offered a version of the same functions, however now every phone has its own os, and tweaks to make it unique.

Why I love the pre, is it is so unique, and though it takes time and dedication to truly get the most out of it, I am someone who enjoys learning and getting all I can from my devices, and with webOS so much of it can be customized to our specific uses. Your pre wont interface exactly like mine in many ways if you don't want it to. I can fully swipe to switch between cards, but you might not, etc.

WebOS is not for the lazy mobile users, but for those who want to dig in and allow the OS the totally reshape your daily functions.
    Doesn't Palm test updates before releasing it? I would think so. Why does V feel the need for additional test?

ET
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast