1.    #1  
    Hi,

My Mum bought a Palm Pre Plus from the US (AT&T) whilst on holiday, and wants to upgrade the webOS software. The phone is on 1.4.1, i think. Is there anyway to upgrade the software through a PC?

I have tried searching for upgrade on O2 network in the UK, also searched through wifi in the UK and couldn't get anything.
    You need webosdoctor.
    I would just do an OTA (over-the-air) update and then run the Emergency F-Stab Fix that's found in Preware, but that's just me.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    if she wants to stay with the stock at&t rom, they haven't released 1.4.5 for US pre+ users. She should be able to do a normal OTA update when they finally release it, but we will see.
  5.    #5  
    So will webosdoctor update the phone even if it's an AT&T phone?

I'm only familiar with roms for android phones. And i'm pretty sure that my mum doesn't care what software's on there as long as it's up-to-date.

So any chance i can update the phone to some more up-to-date rom?
    main thing for you to know is, that webosdoctor deletes everything on the phone (not on usb-partition though)!
    Basically: The latest AT&T WebOS Version (its not really a rom) is 1.4.1 like you have.

The updates are carrier specific. If you try and update using a different carriers WebOS version, it wasn't designed for your AT&T phone, probably won't install, and if it did, things like making calls with the phone would not work.
    You can meta-doctor it to use a different WebOS Version, but again, it disables the Phone.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ation-etc.html
  9.    #9  
    Ah, ok. So i guess we'll have to wait till AT&T decide to roll out their update.

I thought there might be a way to debrand the phone and load a plain version of webOS that isn't carrier specific, like you can do for a lot of android handsets.

Thanks again for your help.
    No problem.

While WebOS is built upon Linux and has some software that is open-source, WebOS itself is closed-source.

Which is ironic considering how much easier it is to hack and patch than Android.

But the disadvantage is that Android is an OS that is freely available, so there is a "basic" version people can just download and edit and manipulate.

You can't do that with WebOS because some of the code is closed source.

And for very good reason, because you would start to see WebOS on crummy knock off Chinese hardware pretty quick, just like Android.
  11.    #11  
    Hmm, ok. Well i've done something similar with my old Nokia phones, where i was waiting for months for an update that had been released on other networks. So i changed the model number of the phone to one that i knew had the update and the software updated directly from the Nokia server.

Looks like my mum should've got the Palm Pre from a carrier that's better at rolling out updates
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    No problem.

While WebOS is built upon Linux and has some software that is open-source, WebOS itself is closed-source.

Which is ironic considering how much easier it is to hack and patch than Android.

But the disadvantage is that Android is an OS that is freely available, so there is a "basic" version people can just download and edit and manipulate.

You can't do that with WebOS because some of the code is closed source.

And for very good reason, because you would start to see WebOS on crummy knock off Chinese hardware pretty quick, just like Android.
    ..and thanks to HP/PALM discontinuance and LEAFLABs ARM M0 and M3 MAPLEs we can start this. THANK you. FULLY open development. Sometimes we dont need to see how the blackbox does something to mimic it. We may not be exact, but we are close enough and in the end, its all that matters.