Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Why is it that when I place a call on hold to answer a 2nd I can only hand up all. I can't disconnect only one? Disconnecting only one should be a simple as swiping the call sideways.
    that is a limitation of CDMA. so if you are on Verizon or Sprint, you can't. Hopefully the person on the other end will hang up.
    Quote Originally Posted by bankerdanny View Post
    Why is it that when I place a call on hold to answer a 2nd I can only hand up all. I can't disconnect only one? Disconnecting only one should be a simple as swiping the call sideways.
    You actually can disconnect only one but in an unconventional way. When you click the end all calls button what happens is that you are disconnected from both calls. However, you will receive a call back from the person on the other line without them ever knowing that you hung up and were gone. This is how the CDMA networks work. It's their way to hang up on one call.

Have you ever called someone and were leaving them a voicemail only to have them call you back while you are leaving them a message? After you hang up from them do you ever receive random phone calls from an UNKNOWN number with nobody on the other end? That is the voicemail calling you back and you are continuing to leave a message. This is exactly how phone calls work.

I have done this multiple times without ill effects. Of course, you should probably try it for yourself first on a phone call that doesn't really matter. Post back to any results you find.
    Add IMDb to Universal Search Patch
    If you enjoy my work or help I have given, feel free to donate. Thanks.

Palm's solution to this is that you must ask the person you are talking to to hang up.
    Quote Originally Posted by friedchicken View Post
    Palm's solution to this is that you must ask the person you are talking to to hang up.
    This is not a palm issue, it is a characteristic of CDMA.
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    You actually can disconnect only one but in an unconventional way. When you click the end all calls button what happens is that you are disconnected from both calls. However, you will receive a call back from the person on the other line without them ever knowing that you hung up and were gone. This is how the CDMA networks work. It's their way to hang up on one call.

Have you ever called someone and were leaving them a voicemail only to have them call you back while you are leaving them a message? After you hang up from them do you ever receive random phone calls from an UNKNOWN number with nobody on the other end? That is the voicemail calling you back and you are continuing to leave a message. This is exactly how phone calls work.

I have done this multiple times without ill effects. Of course, you should probably try it for yourself first on a phone call that doesn't really matter. Post back to any results you find.

Good info, ty!

Does work, but you gotta make sure the person doesn't think they lost you....
    I guess we can't win them all. Heh?
    Search is your friend.

Yep, CDMA limitation.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by friedchicken View Post
    even easier, just insult them or tell an inappropriate joke and they will hang up on you without you having to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Does work, but you gotta make sure the person doesn't think they lost you....
    They don't even know it happened. They still think they are on hold and know nothing different.
    Add IMDb to Universal Search Patch
    If you enjoy my work or help I have given, feel free to donate. Thanks.

I rarely put someone on hold, I think it's kida rude. Just tell em you will call them back. Whatever I guess I'm old fashioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    even easier, just insult them or tell an inappropriate joke and they will hang up on you without you having to ask.

LoL
    Good idea.
    Thanks for asking this, bankerdanny!

I'm feeling pretty foolish that, after having the Pre for over a year, I keep forgetting to ask this question when I'm in front of my PC and on PreCentral!

I've been frustrated with this, as well, and I just want to clarify the answers so far.

So, the way the "put call on hold" feature works is:

1) while on the phone with first caller, second call comes in
    2) you put first caller on hold by answering second call
    3) talk to second caller, then use switch calls feature if I want to (alternately) talk to both
    4) If I decide to hang up on only one of them, hit the "end all calls" button
    5) the last caller I was talking to will still be connected, but I have to wait until my phone indicates a call is coming in, i.e., it rings again
    6) that caller might hear something weird, but should just wait for me to answer

Is this correct? If not, please clarify because this has been driving me nuts. As far as I can remember, when I've hit "end all calls" (not sure if that's the exact wording of it), the person that was on hold gets hung up on OR maybe because I don't wait and I call them back from the call list right away I disable the automatic call feature? Dunno.
    yep, that's it.
    O.K., did just as I posted and it didn't work.

I made a call and got his voicemail; while I was leaving a message he called back. I answered it. I told him I was going to try something and not to hang up. I hit "end all calls." I waited for an extended period of time. Nothing.

I called him back and he said he was disconnected.

So now what? What am I missing here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre in MN View Post
    O.K., did just as I posted and it didn't work.

I made a call and got his voicemail; while I was leaving a message he called back. I answered it. I told him I was going to try something and not to hang up. I hit "end all calls." I waited for an extended period of time. Nothing.

I called him back and he said he was disconnected.

So now what? What am I missing here?
    dont hit end all calls? was there an option to just hang up one?

I've never tried what you are looking to do, but I've definitely been called back by a voicemail system I was leaving a message on after hanging up on another caller.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    They don't even know it happened. They still think they are on hold and know nothing different.
    I don't know many people that will hold for long periods of time on a cell phone call..... I also don't know many people that would put someone on hold for long periods of time on a cell phone call. I guess maybe that's my point, at some point the person is going to take odds that you either A aren't coming back to them, or B lost signal.

Besides all that, what if its the 2nd call you want to keep? The one you are now on? This is the scenario I see, when I am on a cell phone I don't do a whole lot of switching back and forth between lines and holding one person then putting the other on hold, just to drop the first person.... so yeah maybe it's just me.

To be fair, this was only a concern with me before Sprint went free to any mobile. I used to be concerned with wasting minutes by having a call hanging on the second line (like the voicemail issue noted in this thread) and wasting minutes. Now that we have the unlimited mobile to mobile, we don't worry about our minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    dont hit end all calls? was there an option to just hang up one?

I've never tried what you are looking to do, but I've definitely been called back by a voicemail system I was leaving a message on after hanging up on another caller.
    I'v never noticed an option to just hang up one call theres only the two boxes for the callers and the big red button at the bottom to end all calls... I'v have been called back by voicemails as well but i never knew how this happened
    Before I had the "Simply Everything" plan with unlimited minutes, Sprint told me that I wouldn't be charged for a call on the other end if the other party hung up or if it was on voicemail.

Anyway, this just seems stupid that there is not way to hang up one of the calls. I suppose this CDMA stuff is beyond our Homebrew magicians, eh?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast