1.    #1  
    So I went on a vacation which took me through some very rural parts of western Nebraska. I didn't expect to get any kind of 3G signal... and I didn't. But my wife's old Centro DID... a great signal in fact... she was able to post facebook updates/communicate via email/etc... while I had nothing but a big fat 'R'. Does the Centro have a better antenna or something? or should I be diagnosing a problem with my Pre?
    what carrier had a 3g Centro? Verizon's sure wasn't.
    Are both phones on the same carrier?
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by star_gazer View Post
    So I went on a vacation which took me through some very rural parts of western Nebraska. I didn't expect to get any kind of 3G signal... and I didn't. But my wife's old Centro DID... a great signal in fact... she was able to post facebook updates/communicate via email/etc... while I had nothing but a big fat 'R'. Does the Centro have a better antenna or something? or should I be diagnosing a problem with my Pre?
    I can't speak to Centro behavior (and certainly not via 3G) but we noticed, almost immediately after getting our Pre's that they didn't receive as well as our Treo 755p's did. So, it doesn't surprise me that this might have also been true of Pre vs Centro comparisons.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  5.    #5  
    We're both on the same Sprint plan.
    From the web, I find these specs indicating that the Sprint Centro was not a 3g phone:

High-Speed Data Technology: 1xEV-DO r0

so if you got a 1x signal on your Pre, you were getting the same connection.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Centro 3G was available on Verizon and Sprint. AT&T Centro only had Edge, more like 2.5g. Verizon was one of the first carrier with widely distributed 3G.

Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    what carrier had a 3g Centro? Verizon's sure wasn't.
  9.    #9  
    I don't know the specifics (3G vs 1X)... I know her Centro has CDMA in some capacity (she uses web apps/browses/etc,etc) ... the point here merely being, I had no data whatsoever, and I found it somewhat irritating that my wife's 'antiquated' Centro did... and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do about it. Thanks for all your responses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kewl 700p View Post
    Centro 3G was available on Verizon and Sprint. AT&T Centro only had Edge, more like 2.5g. Verizon was one of the first carrier with widely distributed 3G.
    No sir, I have to say you are incorrect. I just posted the specs. EVDA rev0 isn't 3g.

I am looking at my Verizon Centro right now, it is also a rev0 phone.

rev0 was about 100k down and about 28k up on a good day.
    I don't know the specifics (3G vs 1X)... I know her Centro has CDMA in some capacity (she uses web apps/browses/etc,etc) ... the point here merely being, I had no data whatsoever, and I found it somewhat irritating that my wife's 'antiquated' Centro did... and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do about it. Thanks for all your responses.
    On CDMA, 3g is what they used to call EVDO Rev A.

Anything before that (like rev0) was more analogous to "Edge" on GSM networks like AT&T.
    You need to turn on your Data Roaming.....you will then have data when roaming. From the phone app click the drop down menus and select Preferences and then turn it on.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  13.    #13  
    Oh duh. Funny thing is... I now recall doing the same thing on my wife's phone years ago (I used to use the same Centro myself before I got the Pre).

Thanks for the slap in the face!
    ^^ anytime...glad we solved it.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic