1.    #1  
    I stopped in at a Best Buy Mobile location while wandering around the mall last night. I wasn't looking for anything in particular, but just killing some time. The sales clerk walked over and asked if I needed anything in particular and then asked what carrier and phone I had. When I said I had the Pre Plus he asked where I bought it, to which I responded that I'd purchased it at the local Verizon store. He shook his head, sucked in some air through his teeth and replied "I wouldn't have let you do that man". I said "Oh yeah?" and he went on to explain to me that the Pre is a dead phone b/c Palm was bought out by HP and it was moving everything to Android. He elaborated by explaining that all my data on the Pre Plus would be useless and that he had recently tried for over an hour to switch a customer's contacts from the Pre to an Android phone.

To me, this is a HUGE problem with the cell phone industry. I'll give the guy credit for actually knowing that Palm was bought out by HP...that puts him in the top 1% of cell phone salesmen. But telling me that Pre is a dead phone? I didn't bother pointing out that WebOS 2.0 had just been announced today or that HP has been very outspoken about it's plans to expand WebOS in many devices, including cell phones. I don't think the guy had any malicious intent; he just didn't know what he was talking about. I've talked to very few cell phone salesmen who actually know anything about cell phones. When I went to buy my Pre Plus, I was just waiting around for someone to help me and I heard one of the sales staff showing the Pre Plus to a lady who was looking for a phone. The salesman gave the worst sales pitch I've ever heard and he almost forgot to tell her about multitasking! The clerks at Best Buy or your local Verizon/AT&T/Sprint stores are not cell phone experts. This guy at Best Buy Mobile very well could have worked part time at Men's Wearhouse on his days off from Best Buy.
    I've heard similar. Now whenever I'm at a cell store/kiosk I purposely whip out my Pre+ and do some flashy multi-tasking stuff on it! Anyway, my original purchase experience at the VZW store was the typical "Droid is great..." and when I convinced the guy I wanted a Pre+ he said "it's extremely powerful once you figure out how to use it". That was the greatest thing I've heard a sales rep say. Heck, that's probably what investors said when Xerox Apple introduced the mouse.
    "just like your rims still spin even after your car stops/ then where will you spend eternity after your heart stops huh?"
    Wow, a sales person spouting idiotic nonsense. That's new. Eh, idc, whoever listens to them gets exactly what they deserve, so let 'em keep at it. Maybe one day the masses will grow a brain.
    With all the new phones coming out, etc. you can't really blame a cell phone rep working for minimum wage at a Best Buy to be up on his research on everything during his free time.
    Not to mention the Pre IS a weak phone out of the box. Slow processor, no landscape in most modes, very limited functionality, prone to hardware failures. Homebrew MAKES this phone... without it we'd all be on Android fer sure.
    Man, what a perfect opportunity to not only educate this sale person, but also put him in his place. You probably would've blown his socks off. Plus, if you showed him everything thing you could do with your phone (I'm just going to go out on a limb and assume that you homebrew and patch. Hopefully overclock as well!) you might have had a convert on your hands. I know I've "educated" a few of the boys at the local Sprint store. One of which had the Pre. He said he heard about "hacking" but didn't think the phone needed it. So I whipped out my "hacked" Pre and showed him 4x4 icons with no labels, glass effect launcher, hidden launch bar, battery icon as percent, mega-mixed device menu, complete with flashlight, scrimmed dialer background with animated gif, etc, etc, etc. Blew his mind. Didn't hurt that I was clocked to 1GHz on F105 at the time either. Just ran circles around his Pre. Now THAT is a good time!
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, “I don't need to drink to have fun.” Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    With all the new phones coming out, etc. you can't really blame a cell phone rep working for minimum wage at a Best Buy to be up on his research on everything during his free time.
    This may be true, but he also shouldn't be stating things as "fact" that are completely false. For example, there has never been mention of HP buying Palm to convert to Android. This tells me that that sales person is listening to or reading something or from someone, and then restating as fact. At that point it is enough to be expected that he educate himself to some level (if he is going to choose to go around giving people this info).
    9K, brutally honest but true. Most people want a phone with all the feature from homebrew right out the box without rooting their phones. Alot of people are not pc savvy so anything that requires them to plug into a pc to make it work better will scare them away. The folks with those features most likely don't know what to do with them.

my wife has an iphone and has not bothered downloading the newest OS that enables multitasking and other stuff. Instead, she spends all day on Facebook, Netflix, Angry Birds, and Plants vs Zombies. Apps is mainly the top reasons why average people buy Iphone and Android. That and incompetent reps who thinks that there are no equal to iPhone or Android.
    I hope the OP told the guy exactly what statements were wrong. I'm sure no one ever challenged his statements so he assumed them to be true.

I might even send an email to management mentioning that accuracy and product knowledge are generally important for sales people to have.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    I hope the OP told the guy exactly what statements were wrong. I'm sure no one ever challenged his statements so he assumed them to be true.

I might even send an email to management mentioning that accuracy and product knowledge are generally important for sales people to have.
    Werd.

Then again I am known to get into it with salespeople of all types, not as a bad customer, but I do my research before I go to buy anything worth more than probably $10 to $20. So when I walk in somewhere and get told a whole bunch of BS, I call them on it.
    Just another reason I try to avoid shopping at Worst Buy
    The sad thing is that it isn't just with Best Buy. I went into a Sprint store looking for a phone for my wife. She was considering the Pre, but wanted one of the new 4G phones. When I told him we we're considering the Pre, he advised me against it. Of course I corrected him and told him it was the best phone and operating system out there, he reverted to the "flimsy hardware" argument. Unfortunately, it appears a lot of Pre's had to be replaced, so there wasn't much I could debate on that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by rarimes View Post
    The sad thing is that it isn't just with Best Buy. I went into a Sprint store looking for a phone for my wife. She was considering the Pre, but wanted one of the new 4G phones. When I told him we we're considering the Pre, he advised me against it. Of course I corrected him and told him it was the best phone and operating system out there, he reverted to the "flimsy hardware" argument. Unfortunately, it appears a lot of Pre's had to be replaced, so there wasn't much I could debate on that one.
    See but that's not the same at what happened at BB. Returns and hardware problems can be said to be true.

The guy at BB was telling a customer things that could not be said to be true at all.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    YankBoy,

Would you mind telling which Best Buy Mobile location you were at. I am a manager for Best Buy and I would love to have a conversation with this employee.
    Hell the Best Buys I've been in don't even have the Pre. Well not on display anyway.
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    these stories make me appreciate the kid at one of the Radio Shacks I was raiding for Touchstones - he made sure I knew about homebrew and how easy and important it was for me to get up to speed on everything and maximize my phone's potential - clearly a smart kid for appreciating Palm!
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by dmbpettit View Post
    YankBoy,

Would you mind telling which Best Buy Mobile location you were at. I am a manager for Best Buy and I would love to have a conversation with this employee.
    Sure, it was the Citadel Mall location in Charleston, SC.

Don't get me wrong, the guy wasn't a jerk or anything (though he essentially implied I'd made a colossal mistake by buying a Pre). I don't think a salesperson should ever criticize a customer for something they've purchased. Now, if I'd asked him what he thought of the Pre, that'd be a different story. I guess it just bothers me b/c I think the Pre is a very fine phone and part of the hurdle it faces is simply a lack of knowledge by salespeople. He was just soooooooooo far off base by saying that HP was switching everything to Android. HP made it abundantly clear the whole reason they were interested in Palm was b/c of WebOS. AND WebOS 2.0 had just been announced earlier that same day that I went to the store.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Sure, it was the Citadel Mall location in Charleston, SC.

Don't get me wrong, the guy wasn't a jerk or anything (though he essentially implied I'd made a colossal mistake by buying a Pre). I don't think a salesperson should ever criticize a customer for something they've purchased. Now, if I'd asked him what he thought of the Pre, that'd be a different story. I guess it just bothers me b/c I think the Pre is a very fine phone and part of the hurdle it faces is simply a lack of knowledge by salespeople. He was just soooooooooo far off base by saying that HP was switching everything to Android. HP made it abundantly clear the whole reason they were interested in Palm was b/c of WebOS. AND WebOS 2.0 had just been announced earlier that same day that I went to the store.
    Yeah but you did NOTHING to correct the situation! How do you expect people to get correct info if, when you actually have it, you don't let them know they're wrong? Maybe you would have changed his mind and in the future when someone asked about it, he'd have a more positive outlook on Palm.