Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
    $1,235 and counting!
    Another question for Rod: I'm sure most of us would rather have as much of the WebOS Internals homebrew and infrastructure as possible available to us before we get our Pre 2's, or before we get WebOS 2.0 on our existing devices. Are there any disadvantages to you getting a device right away from SFR, that those of us who are less technologically adept may not be aware of?

Or is it just a matter of money? Cause I'm sure we can do that...
    Last edited by kallan42; 11/07/2010 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity.
    --
    I am a (new) Palm user!
    My understanding is the following, correct me if I misunderstood:

US Pre 2 could be offered at a substantial discount to the SFR one. Rumors suggest Verizon will offer Pre 2 at or around Nov 11th along with slew of other phones but Verizon is tightlipped about this; also HP announced last week that US preorders on HP page would start Nov 8th but then they removed the announcement (unconfirmed speculation that Verizon leaned on them)

Still even if US Pre was available this week, Rod and a few other Europeans would not be able to get phone service via the US model (suggesting to me they should go ahead and order the SFR one, irregardless of US availability)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    My understanding is the following, correct me if I misunderstood:

US Pre 2 could be offered at a substantial discount to the SFR one. Rumors suggest Verizon will offer Pre 2 at or around Nov 11th along with slew of other phones but Verizon is tightlipped about this; also HP announced last week that US preorders on HP page would start Nov 8th but then they removed the announcement (unconfirmed speculation that Verizon leaned on them)

Still even if US Pre was available this week, Rod and a few other Europeans would not be able to get phone service via the US model (suggesting to me they should go ahead and order the SFR one, irregardless of US availability)
    That is correct. We could get GSM 2G but not 3G connectivity.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    I personally would like to see some of the most popular patches available for 2.0 by the time I get 2.0 here in the U.S.

Get the Pre 2 in your hands ASAP Rod.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    heck yes, rod. Go get 'em. We will get the funds raised to support you so you guys can focus on development.
    +1 I agree!
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    I love this community. The best choice I ever made was to get a pizi and discover webOS. Now I own a pre and I am the most satisfied person around. I do plan on comboard swapping with a plus for the additional ram. But reguardless I will be kicking in on the donations to internalz. These freaking geniuses make my webOS experience that much freaking better!! Thanx to all of the webOS community and I can't wait to see what comes next. I am grateful for this oppurtunity to be a part of something great.
    good morning. Lets see if we can crank out a few dozen donations today!

we are currently at $1,235
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    That is correct. We could get GSM 2G but not 3G connectivity.

-- Rod
    I think someone from WOS Internals should contact HP/Palm and ask if a lower rate (enmass) can be done from SFR phones(or other phones from like Verizon). Whats the worse thing they say? NO?

I will be donating as soon as I can. Got to pay the monthly bills plus the employee's

it's slim times in the payne house.

If their is other services I can help provide please feel free to ask.
    Last edited by Major Payne; 11/08/2010 at 06:36 AM.
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    So I'm in, but I'm curious. With a certain donation amount do you get the "Top Homebrew Supporter" moniker or something like that?
    that's what they did last time. I think rod is talking to PC about doing that again.

personally I hope they set the bar at $50 or $100
    that's what they did last time. I think rod is talking to PC about doing that again.

Yeah, that's why I was asking. I think $100 is rather steep though for a donation, at least for some, I don't think the amount was near that high last time.

I understand that the top supporter should be a bar that is set high but I really do think 100 is a tad high. I say either 50 or nothing, But of course It's not my call.

The reason I think this is because this is the holiday season and many people might want to give all they can but might need to buy things for family members.
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    hoping they will stick with the $30 bar, same as a few months ago...economy still tough, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    or do you want us to wait and get the development devices from the US at the same time that you do?

-- Rod

I think you should have them as soon as you can get them and certainly before they are generally available in the US. That way, you can pre-empt any issues that may arise with homebrew well before the majority of Pre users start encountering them.

Personally I think Palm should directly ship you guys a bunch of devices; might be something to raise with them in NY. I wonder how much money they save on their online and telephone support because of all the solutions that are provided here by the online community.

Gx
    all of the ideas posted above about dollar amounts and member titles sound good. I am just a regular pc member so I don't have any influence on that. Any opinions I offer are my own, and therefore my opinions are worth exactly what they cost (which is nothing).

no amount is too small to make an impact on the homebrew community. I like to donate directly to others devs, as well.

summary: I'm just a cheerleader and I'd encourage all of you to share your ideas. It's up to PC, but they were really cool about it last time.

Edit: this idea came from spdsktr and was a big hit in the last fund raiser. I apologize for attributing this incorrectly.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 11/08/2010 at 09:49 PM.
    Things are moving way too slow today. We need some donations rolling in!
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    The forum moniker should not be an issue. It was my idea last year and Dieter was behind the last one 100%. We do need to make sure he is game. $50 should be the differentiator. The idea is to encourage higher donations than the $20, but not too high that it is not attainable.

What we also need is someone to start compiling the list of donators and keeping it in the first post. Kind of a leaderboard if you will that also shows those above or below the moniker threshold. It encourages those who are just under it to add a lil bit more and get in, and adds the prestige of being a Top Homebrew Supporter.

Maybe Dieter can also give a "Top Homebrew Supporter x2" moniker to those who do it again but already have the moniker from before.

I suggest getting ahold of runukraine, he was the real mastermind behind the last one. I doubt I will be wearing too much of the Jerry Lewis suit this go round. I already donated $1,000 of my Hot Apps money in non-telethon related donations.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    I already donated $1,000 of my Hot Apps money in non-telethon related donations.
    BTW... Congratulations on that win and thanks for your generosity back to the development community which you are an important part of.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups

Agree the bar needs to be raised for that title but this will openup other additions like incrimental dontaions that equate the 100.00 barrier to get the title most would like to give that amount but not just all at once. It would still stimulate more donations

Tweet this telethon gang and post it on your Facebooks! Use hash #pre2telethon

BUMP!
    Last edited by addiarmadar; 11/08/2010 at 06:41 PM.
    I personally feel $100 is too high. $30 last time seemed to motivate a bunch of folks.

People can obviously give more if they are able.

The cumulative thing would be fine but that would require Rod to track and compile what comes in.

I think some kind of annual/lifetime leaderboard would be cool, but again would require additional effort for Rod. I would rather have him developing.
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast