Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    Ok folks, is time to create some structure for this telethon.

Our Goal is to raise $16,000.00 So we have about $14,700.00 more to go!

We need to set an end date. I'm thinking Friday November 26th. We may however need a later date.

Thoughts?
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    we raised about $6k in that amount of time previously.

as a starting point we should pick a target for the week, at least. perhaps 4,000 by this sunday night? Is that possible?
    It been slow going so far. If we break it up into increments, I don't think we'll get there. If everyone knows the goal and sees the progress, I believe we will have greater involvement.
    Perhaps make the end date December 17th.

How about we all try to get Palm to do a donation match. See if they'll match all of the donations. That way the amount can be cut down to maybe $8,000 or $10,000 and Palm matches that, thereby doubling it and providing the necessary devices for webOS Internals to use.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    How about we all try to get Palm to do a donation match. See if they'll match all of the donations. That way the amount can be cut down to maybe $8,000 or $10,000 and Palm matches that, thereby doubling it and providing the necessary devices for webOS Internals to use.
    That would be great. But we would need a channel to the proper person or people at Palm to get that done.

Great work Webos Internals team! I hope you make your goal. I am in for $15 (and I threw down $5 a few weeks ago. HUGE FAN. Thanks!!!

DanX
    I'm a lot poorer this year, but kicked in $10 so far, wish it was more...
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    +$100
    Thanks to all the devs for keeping webOS interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post

Our Goal is to raise $16,000.00 So we have about $14,700.00 more to go!

Thoughts?
    $16,000 for what?
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    $16,000 for what?
    This is on page 2 of this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    There are currently 15 developers in WebOS Internals (WhoIsWho - WebOS Internals).

I'm currently assuming that a next-gen webOS phone and tablet combo will cost approximately $1000 (just a wild speculative guess).

So that's $16,000 we need to raise (I'm including an additional device set for Jason Robitaille from Canuck Software) to equip our key homebrew developers with devices to create, modify and port the applications, kernels and patches that everyone depends upon for future webOS devices.

That's only a $10 donation from each of 1600 people.

There are 1700+ posts in the UberKernel thread, 1100+ posts in the Save/Restore thread, 900+ posts in each of the Preware and Govnah threads, and 440+ posts in the MetaDoctor thread. That's over 5000 posts in just those threads alone, let alone the majority of people who never have to post in the forum threads because everything just works for them.

I think we can do it.

-- Rod
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    just gave $15.00.
  12. LWI
    just dropped another $5 in the bucket.
    Our cumulative total after last night is $1500. Great job everyone. Now if we can get the same traction as the "special PM" thread, we will accelerate this thing!

Note, I will be creating a new thread to track this shortly. Watch this space for the link.
    I'll do my part on friday.
    $50 to the fund, thx for everything!
    $15 added.
  17.    #197  
    Sorry I have not been much help as of late, a lot has come up and right now I have a few minutes down time to fill you all in.

At first it started with a friend and her baby moving in which was cool and fine by me. Things turned worse when I was drinking one night a couple weeks ago and took a spill on a slipper patch of ground and messed up my hand pretty badly but thankfully it is still functional for the most part. Both of which had prevented me from keeping on all of this.

Things became a bit worse when my friend's fiancée broke her ankle which she had to have some screws, a plate and some sort of bar. So I have been helping with that since no one else seems to want to help not even her family so I have been dealing with that. This is also a warning to those who wear those shape up shoes as they can be very dangerous especially down stairs, they almost caused her to both ankles but thankfully that was not the case.

Things got worse this Sunday when my great grandpa passed away so I have been doing my best helping with that. The wake is today and tomorrow is the funeral.

So I have had a lot on my plate as of late so I hope you all can understand why I have not really been around to see this all through like I wish to do. I will be checking in from time to time when I have some down time. I hope to have a bit of fun this Saturday for my birthday so I can hopefully unwind a bit.

Sorry for the long post, I figured I'd fill you all in.

With all that said and out of the way I hope the telethon goes well and money is raised enough to get all the wonderful homebrewers can get a device to get WebOS 2.0 and Pre 2 development underway.
    Last edited by Banger; 11/10/2010 at 11:27 AM.
    Welcome back. We've got your back because this community is tight and supportive like no other forum today. Congrats, by the way.
    As Promised, here is a fresh new thread to track our progress. Several suggeste it to get instructions and totals on the front page, and to create a place for ron to explain what they are doing.

I would appreciate it if everyone would start tracking their donations here:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...e-devices.html

Please PM me if there are any questions. We are all a part of this amazing community, and it is truly amazing what has been accomplished to support the many volunteer developers.
    Here is Ron's message about the plan and budget for this project

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Assuming that webOS 2.0, a next generation webOS phone, and a webOS tablet are all announced or released before the end of the year, WebOS Internals is going to need to have a significant donation influx to be able to purchase developer devices for our developers who create Preware, Save/Restore, Govnah, UberKernel, SR71, F10x, WarthogKernel, wIRC, Advanced Configuration for Application Launcher and other patches, to be able to make appropriate changes and test on the new OS and devices.

There are currently 15 WebOS Internals developers (none of which, including myself, have ever received any direct cash from donations to WebOS Internals) listed on WhoIsWho - WebOS Internals - so that adds up to a significant dollar amount just for those developer devices, let alone the additional load on the servers and infrastructure that will also need to be paid for (this additional significant cost is something that other homebrew developers don't need to worry about, because their homebrew packages and patches are served up by our ipkg.preware.org servers at no cost to them).

However, when you divide that significant dollar amount by the number of people who download and use the applications, kernels, patches, etc that we produce, it would only require each user to make a small donation and we would be completely covered for these expenses.

However, past history shows that less than 1/1000th of the users ever donate at all ...

Thanks again to all those who have done so in the past.

-- Rod
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast