1.    #1  
    I understand that the Pre has a 1 yr warranty but I was wondering what kind of experience do you guys have with it?

I'm assuming I have to send it and everything..

The issue is that the phone freezes all the time. Today it froze and ran for 3 hours in my pocket before I realized it was dead.... Other days the cards get stuck and freeze and I must restart it. The phone is literally deteriorating physically from regular use and I have only had it since March.

I do not have Sprint insurance. What are my options?
    You are still under the 1 year warranty so take it into a Sprint store and let them check it out, they should order you a replacement if it's anywhere near as bad as it sounds. The replacement should be there a few days after they order it.
    The quickest way to get a warranty replacement in your hands is to go back to the Sprint store. If the damage is no fault of your own it should be a simple matter to get a new device. Go to a Sprint repair center for best results.

If you have issues there then call Palm and they have the ability to take care of you as well. However that may require a deposit while the 2 devices traverse the post.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  4.    #4  
    The two major problems I've had physically is the battery door has broke off from simply opening it and the right side where the battery door is has been opening itself from the phone making the sliding impaired.

That is on top of the physical part of the phone falling apart. Also the phone sticks on screens where I cannot get the touch screen to respond to touches and it sticks like that for like 15-20 mins sometimes making the phone unusable.

You think that Sprint will actually replace it on the spot without requesting the $100 or whatever it is now for basic repair?
    The $100 deductible is for insured phones that either have owner caused damage or were lost/stolen

So you shouldn't be charged a penny
  6.    #6  
    Okay - because back when I had a Blackberry with Sprint, I was charged several times for software/hardware fixes that were not caused by me. Something like $30.
    always call the carrier first.
    That was the old rate that they charged for insurance repairs, if they try to charge you anything call Sprint customer service and talk to them but DO NOT leave the store they will sort it out for you
  9.    #9  
    Interesting. Sounds like I was screwed out of $30 several times along with my Dad.

On chat with Pre support discussing issues with him to see what he says.
    Just called sprint to get my fourth replacement phone this afternoon. Sprint has been good about it every time I've called. So far they've sent the replacement phone out without any kind of argument whatsoever. They send the phone next day air as well so I get it the next day.
    Would like to add something on this discussion that I have mentioned in similar threads...

Your "refurb" which is typically used to replace your your warrantied device is under warranty for 90 days should you be near the end of your one year warranty...this is great in case that "refurb" self-destructs on you...my one year just ended...however I now have about another 60 days of worry free ownership since I received "refurm" about 30 days before end of original one year...

EDIT: And would like to mirror what others have said...I have never had one issue with Sprint taking care of warranty...they do a quick visual inspection to look for water damage etc...then two or three days later my "refurb" is in...I have never had a problem at a non-corporate store either...sometimes the corporate stores already had a "refurb" in the store and there was no wait at all..(on my 5th Palm Pre)
    Last edited by ferriskeanu; 08/31/2010 at 11:21 PM.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by razorsedge View Post
    Just called sprint to get my fourth replacement phone this afternoon. Sprint has been good about it every time I've called. So far they've sent the replacement phone out without any kind of argument whatsoever. They send the phone next day air as well so I get it the next day.
    so you're saying I can call Sprint, complain about my Pre because it's acting wonky and falling apart, they will ship the new one next day air and I just ship them the old one?

Seems easier given my busier schedule.
    Quote Originally Posted by huskercubfan View Post
    so you're saying I can call Sprint, complain about my Pre because it's acting wonky and falling apart, they will ship the new one next day air and I just ship them the old one?

Or...you can call Sprint as I did on my 4th Palm Pre...and they contacted a local corporate sprint store for me...checked for me to see if a "refurb" was available in the store or another store and all I had to do was walk in...give my name (they left note on my account for store(s)...they hand me replacement...and I am out the door (as long as their is no line when I walk in...or you walk in)
    Quote Originally Posted by ferriskeanu View Post
    Or...you can call Sprint as I did on my 4th Palm Pre...and they contacted a local corporate sprint store for me...checked for me to see if a "refurb" was available in the store or another store and all I had to do was walk in...give my name (they left note on my account for store(s)...they hand me replacement...and I am out the door (as long as their is no line when I walk in...or you walk in)
    I just went through this yesterday and now have my brandy new, out of the box, charger included, Pre. I had a series of refurbs that were still faulty. Sprint has a 'Courtesy' program. If you had three replacements in the last three or six (can't remember which) months then you are entitled to a new Pre. I went in on Sunday and picked up my new phone last night and now have an extra charger to boot!

Caution: They first tried to pawn off a Pixi on me. I simply laughed that off.
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewj318 View Post
    I just went through this yesterday and now have my brandy new, out of the box, charger included, Pre. I had a series of refurbs that were still faulty. Sprint has a 'Courtesy' program. If you had three replacements in the last three or six (can't remember which) months then you are entitled to a new Pre. I went in on Sunday and picked up my new phone last night and now have an extra charger to boot!

Caution: They first tried to pawn off a Pixi on me. I simply laughed that off.
    Just wanted to confirm this...yes Sprint told me the same...when I got to the sprint store they tried offering me another phone (some android model) and I laughed...I did however end up with a refurb even though I was offered a new Pre...probably should have argued with them but didn't...had I then I probably would have gotten the new one...
    Interesting. Sounds like I was screwed out of $30 several times along with my Dad.

On chat with Pre support discussing issues with him to see what he says.
    Depends on if your phone was out of warranty or not. You must remember, not getting charged is based on the issues being covered under Palms warranty (or in the past the BB warranty).

Depends on what Sprint stores are around you I guess. I don't have an Authorized Sprint repair center less than 2 hours away from me so they'll just mail me the new phone. If there is a repair center near you they'll send you there first.
    The bottom line is that they will just replace your piece of junk Pre with a different piece of junk refurb Pre and not really fix any of the issues. You will be stuck in this death spiral until your 1 year warranty is up and then you will be stuck with whatever piece of crap you ended up with
    1st Pre - Stuck in headset mode. 2nd Pre - power button quit working. 3rd Pre - stuck in headset mode. Found out that even though they replaced my Pre with another broken Pre, the warranty still runs out after the original date of purchase. 4th will be nothing Palm related.
    not true.... there is a warranty on replacements (no you don't get a year from replacement date, but you do get a certain amount of time) this has nothing to do with Palm and is the same across the board with any manufacturer and any type of product.

The more I hear about people having all these issues, I really do wonder how some treat their phones. Not saying the Pre is the best hardware ever, but we are about to hit our year on 2 Pre's only thing we need to do is go into Sprint and exchange our batteries because they have lost some life (due to a lot more use). I suspect a lot of people are having hardware issues because they treat their Pre like they did their previous phones but are using the Pre 10x more than their previous phone (once again NOT saying everyone, but some folks). And then as we all know, people come to forums to complain when something is wrong, not to praise when something works.....

/rant