150 Global Posts
    I gave it two weeks. Missed my Pre+.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Welcome back!
    what was you thinkin
    Global Posts
    422 Global Posts
    How was the Torch? I'm always keeping an eye on RIM and the BB scene as a former BB user.
    - Verizon Palm Pre Plus UberKernel Screenstate 500/1000
    - Microsoft Zune HD 32gb
    Quote Originally Posted by shinerb View Post
    Really? You really dumped webOS for BlackBerry? Really? What were you smoking?

Welcome back!
    can u describe the torch's experience? (details plz)
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    come on man details please !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by pre-fan View Post

Welcome back!
    This. But OP, didn't you read the reviews from Engadget and Walt Mossberg? B/c if you had or you had used a Storm 1 or 2 you wouldn't have touched the Torch with a 5inch pencil.

Welcome back.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    i'll give my details on my 30 days with it.

I actually loved the operating system. It felt so very different from the usual BB experience. You pretty much just have 5 main menus that you just slide between. Favorites, downloads, all, media, ??? (i forgot). You can customize how every many you want from 4 to 16 all at the home screen at the same time, with any variation that you want. I had very smooth transitions (unlike some other users that i read) even with a shield on the phone i had no problems clicking the screen like i do with my pre+ (doesnt happen very often). There arent menu's after menu's after menu's like the older OS. They really tried to simplify it and make it as easy and user friendly as possible.

The Webkit browser was a very nice (and very needed) touch to the phone, although the standard 614? CPU just didnt cut it for me. i was hoping for a 800+. The web browsing was kind of slow, even at full bars.
    I wasnt to impressed with the lighting behind the keyboard and call/bb/back/button. The keyboard was a nice white, while the other was a pee yellow, kinda bugged.
    After wanting the trackpad on the phone, i wasnt to impressed with it being there, nor did i use it. It probably should have been left out.
    Transitions to side view were good..
    Battery is typical BB battery last forever.

The build was wonderful in my eyes, very solid slider, it did have a slight click to it when you opened it up but i have the same thing with my pre so i just assume thats how it is.
    It is kinda heavy for a phone
    As for looks, its an ugly phone haha. i did not like the look of it at all.
    The keyboard is your standard 9700 keyboard which i absolutely love. Its one of my favorite things about the phone is that keyboard. The Virtual keyboard is nice, its not surepress (which i really love) but it has suretype which makes text without opening the phone a cinch.The 5.0 megapixel camera... sucked. My pre 3MP takes better pictures than that thing.

I wasnt able to play any games on the phone, just because i didnt feel like downloading anything besides facebook. I did download pixelated, seriously addicting game, it should be ported to webOS immediately (maybe it has and i just dont know it)

In general its a nice phone. But it really isnt that much of an upgrade (if at all) over a Pre (isnt IMO). Nor is the community anywhere near what precentral is. Crackberry has gone to s*its since i was there with my pearl 8120. it seems like all 3rd party development quit. Themers are dwindling, putting things on the app world cost a bundle. All the forums are filled with arguments. Its just bleh.

It has some definite advantages over the pre, like battery life, build, keyboard. But when it really comes down to it its not worth the money.
    I'd still take webOS over the new BB 6.0
    Last edited by Rei VI; 08/31/2010 at 08:43 PM.
    Current: Palm Pre 2
    History: [Palm] Pre Plus - [IOS] iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G - [Blackberry] Pearl 8120, Storm 9530, Bold 9000, Bold 9700, Torch 9800 - [WP7] HTC HD7S - [WM] HTC Fuze - [Android] HTC Aria
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    Hey, sorry for the slow response. I picked it up a day after release. Got it for $99 on an upgrade (bought the Pre+ outright) So, I'm still elgible for an upgrade and have my fingers crossed there will be some solid hardware available soon in a new WebOS device. That is the main reason I attempted the swap to the BB

3 main issues:

1) no built in swipe gesture to open the phone. had to download an app and they weren't truely built for that model. there is a lock button on the top like the Pre but just a simple tap in my pocket would set it off. you could add a password but IMO that is a frkn pain

2) disjointed OS. i felt myself constantly swiping looking for things i needed. there were 4 or maybe 5 headers along the bottom with all your apps/programs/tools etc. categorized under them (All, Favorites, Downloads, Frequent) the main problem is there is no control of those. just one would have done i thought.

3) plastic cover over the red/hang up and green/dial buttons came loose after 5 days. i could push it back down but it was about to become permanently dislodged. saw several with that problem online before and low and behold i got the same problem
    Ooh! we miss you too.
    Thanks for the info, i'm staying right where i am...
    Isnt The Bold Better Than The Torch? Like Power wise?
    --Marvin
    2) disjointed OS. i felt myself constantly swiping looking for things i needed. there were 4 or maybe 5 headers along the bottom with all your apps/programs/tools etc. categorized under them (All, Favorites, Downloads, Frequent) the main problem is there is no control of those. just one would have done i thought.
    Frequent thats what it was.
    History: [Palm] Pre Plus - [IOS] iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G - [Blackberry] Pearl 8120, Storm 9530, Bold 9000, Bold 9700, Torch 9800 - [WP7] HTC HD7S - [WM] HTC Fuze - [Android] HTC Aria
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Isnt The Bold Better Than The Torch? Like Power wise?
    CPU wise they are the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by pre-fan View Post

Can't talk about the BlackBerry; CAN talk about the smoking. Has NEVER made me want to go to BlackBerry.
    Must be something else motivated that dude.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Im with you on this one man. I havnt purchased a tourch or any BB for that matter but i have fiddeled around with one slightly. After using WebOS and the pre (sprint) I havnt thought of switching to anything els. I mean with all these patches and mods that homebrew has given us, i dont think anything can change my mind at this point. I have given consideration to the EVO 4G but just thought it was to big to much for a handset (they should call the EVO an armset since the thing is so darn big). On the other side i really like the Samsung Epic 4G, has one hell of a screen. but still nothing can get me to fully convert/deviate from WebOS. Plus WebOS 2.0 is comming soon and boy does it look tasty. SHOTS AROUND THE HOUSE TO PALM AND WebOS!!!!
    I am on a BB Tour right now because my Pre has some issues and I miss some blackberry things. I do miss the Pre now and will probably wait until the next webOS device comes out to switch. idk. I really miss the cards and multitasking. Also BBM, as simple as it is it keeps you glued to blackberrys. I was on a BB for a while before the pre. So I think its just something you have to get used to. Going from Pre to new BB user is difficult I can imagine
    Prē *********♥
    1Ghz
    Pixi *********♥
    Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic
    *Creator of the best thread on precentral*

RIP

Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    Kinda sad, actually. I still have a BB Curve 8330 for work, and it's a handy phone. In its day, it was a nice leap forward. Now, BB seems to be kinda resting its prior success and riding the "corporate loyalty" wave.

I can tell you, my workplace is already testing iPhones for general use. Who knows, we may be getting rid of the BB altogether.

Personally, i'd use my Pre Plus for work if they let me.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keldog View Post
    Kinda sad, actually. I still have a BB Curve 8330 for work, and it's a handy phone. In its day, it was a nice leap forward. Now, BB seems to be kinda resting its prior success and riding the "corporate loyalty" wave.

I can tell you, my workplace is already testing iPhones for general use. Who knows, we may be getting rid of the BB altogether.

Personally, i'd use my Pre Plus for work if they let me.
    Yeah, that "corporate loyalty" aint' so loyal anymore these days. It was in the news here a few days ago - the mayor and all counsel members in my city (which is the 3rd largest in Canada - and which incidentally is home for R.I.M.) are all dropping their corporate Blackberries and have ordered new iPads and iPhone4's for everyone. So, definitely not great news for BB.
    Last edited by Mutz; 09/01/2010 at 12:15 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast