Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I missed the community (I actually USED twitter with webos :P), preware, this forum, and waking up almost everyday to something new and interesting happening in webos land.

I missed it so much that even though I got a magical mystery hardware upgrade @ 5 months into my contract, I have deactivated my samsung wave, and come back to my pre, just the other day.
    The water was cold so I came back <3
    Before becoming seeing the light and becoming a WebOS user, I was an avid iPhone user, then Android user. While the iPhone forums are plentiful, and there are answers for any question that could be asked about the hardware or software, the answers generally come from links to Apple articles, Lifehacker, or the answer is to send your device back and let Apple fix it. The sense of community in the forums was completely absent. This could be due to the relative size of the community of iPhone users, but it always felt a bit haughty in the forums (minus the Jailbreaking community who are and continue to be awesome).

The Android forums are way more informative in terms of users who know what they're doing. However, be prepared to be grilled as a newbie. Android users feel like you must be initiated into Android, and that you should have some level of programming experience before you deserve the right to hack your phone. In some ways, this is probably good given the difficulty and complicated methods required to root many phones (I've rooted no fewer than 5 different Android devices) and the possible outcomes to doing it wrong. However, the sense of community in the forums feels much like a high school cafeteria and is further fragmented by differing hardware and UI's.

WebOS community is by far the most supportive, interactive, roll-up-your-sleeves-and-get-your-hands-dirty-helping-someone-figure-out-a-problem kind of community that I've ever experienced. Certainly makes me not want to venture back to Android or iOS, no matter what shiny new toys they come up with. I only hope that as new devices are released and WebOS devices and users grow - that this community maintains its campy, homey, supportive feel.
    I think we owe a thankyou to the moderators also. They keep everything on the site cleaned up and easy to peruse!
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    I think we owe a thankyou to the moderators also. They keep everything on the site cleaned up and easy to peruse!

Yeah, but that is a thankless job, so, by definition, we don't need to thank them.
    This is the best community out there. Period.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    absolutely the best community.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    This is the greatest smartphone community ever. I bought my Pre the 1st day and was pretty excited. However once I had more experience with it the flaws grew large. Like being on a call when a notification came in and almost loosing an eardrum. Flash forward to today and there is no comparison to my 1 gig overclocked processor, running with 62 patches and 73 homebrew apps. Just hearing about some of the 2.0 capabilities as a basis for the software wizards here to work their magic is truly a reason to celebrate. With HP's money, people, and hardware connections I expect (hope) for one of the best cell phones in the marketplace to be released to run the new software. Back this up with some competent marketing and HP/Palm will be a leader in the cell ecosystem.
    Last edited by nerbe; 08/31/2010 at 04:36 PM. Reason: misspelling.
    The best thread I think I have ever seen, they are the definite best
    The very fact there's a thread with this title and that we're posting on it says it all.

My Pre is so tweaked out with Homebrew magic and now with a Touchstone set up in my car, waiting for a hardware and software upgrade is much, much easier. It's really "nerdy" to say it, I suppose, but it's fun to come to PreCentral after a long day and find out what's cookin' and do some cookin' on the Pre to make it better.

(Still haven't figured out how to use the Mode Switcher, though! )
    My first experience in the smartphone arena was a BB and although I loved it, I always worried about some kind of memory leak with any app I downloaded or OS leak I loaded. Not to mention, after I became more savvy in the smartphone OS world, I realized how how dated it was. After my friend got a Pre Plus, I became very envious of her and I had to get one as well. Then I realized the greatness that is WebOS. After I discovered Preware, I felt like my Pre Plus was the greatest phone ever! This community is really outstanding in all the work everyone does to try to make WebOS as best as it can be. It still baffles me how the OS is not as widespread. It's very user friendly and if you need any help, the people in the forum are willing to give advice and help.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetmom88 View Post
    Before becoming seeing the light and becoming a WebOS user, I was an avid iPhone user, then Android user. While the iPhone forums are plentiful, and there are answers for any question that could be asked about the hardware or software, the answers generally come from links to Apple articles, Lifehacker, or the answer is to send your device back and let Apple fix it. The sense of community in the forums was completely absent. This could be due to the relative size of the community of iPhone users, but it always felt a bit haughty in the forums (minus the Jailbreaking community who are and continue to be awesome).

The Android forums are way more informative in terms of users who know what they're doing. However, be prepared to be grilled as a newbie. Android users feel like you must be initiated into Android, and that you should have some level of programming experience before you deserve the right to hack your phone. In some ways, this is probably good given the difficulty and complicated methods required to root many phones (I've rooted no fewer than 5 different Android devices) and the possible outcomes to doing it wrong. However, the sense of community in the forums feels much like a high school cafeteria and is further fragmented by differing hardware and UI's.

WebOS community is by far the most supportive, interactive, roll-up-your-sleeves-and-get-your-hands-dirty-helping-someone-figure-out-a-problem kind of community that I've ever experienced. Certainly makes me not want to venture back to Android or iOS, no matter what shiny new toys they come up with. I only hope that as new devices are released and WebOS devices and users grow - that this community maintains its campy, homey, supportive feel.
    I already owned a Hero had it rooted and overclocked ( it's so slow especially when it was still 1.5 lol) but yea from a small experience with androind and previous winmo phones this community is great!
    Samsung A900> HTC Touch (Vogue)> Palm Pre> HTC Hero> Palm Pre> Palm Pre> Palm Pre> HTC Evo 4G White
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12