Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I used my Best Buy insurance for the third time 3 weeks ago. I patiently waited for the Best Buy phone call telling me that my replacement Pre is in. They called me today and informed me that I wont be getting a Refurbished phone but instead a new one. I was pretty excited about that.

Ends up that they were all out of stock of Palm Pre's, and they offered me a comparable Android or Blackberry phone. I declined looking for alternative options. I told them that they did have them in stock online, and that a another Best Buy could also have one. They make all these calls while I sit on hold, and a few different people talk to me. They end up offering me an Evo4g and told me that it is the best phone I can get.

I politely decline the three different people who made that offer (I bet i could of even gotten an Epic). The reason I gave them that I still wanted my Pre was because I own 4 touchstones, and have spent easily over $150 on Apps (I own a ton of 3d Games). I decided to that was a better response then trying to explain why WebOS is better than Android. They told me that the Pre is getting phased out and there will no longer be any Palm phones that work with the Touchstone. They then go to tell me that Palm went out of business and HP had to buy them.

At this point I accidentally burst out laughing, and informed him that he was misinformed. After about 45 minutes, they get a Best Buy 120 miles away to send them one of their Pre's.

So in the end, I am getting a new Palm Pre, and will never use Best Buy mobiles insurance ever again. My friend works at that Best Buy, so I hope to hear back from him about the crazy guy who passed up an EVO4G! FOR A PRE!

You still have a hold on me PreCentral Community
    -Grant Heppes
    Thank me if I helped you.
    or take an EVO to sell on ebay and then buy two Pre's with the money you get...
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    At this point I just want my Pre back. I am getting WebOS Withdrawals after 3 weeks of no phone (probably another week before I get this one).
    No kidding. Off contract? You'd have made a killing!
    I'm not happy with Best Buy right now either. They tried to rip me off on a BT headset. Will post my experience later today in the BT forum.
  6.    #6  
    I just couldn't believe that one of their sales associates was telling a customer that Palm is dead and touchstones are useless. The Touchstone is going to be around for a long time, every other phone maker is gonna come out with their own inductive chargers in the next year, so why would Palm get rid of theirs?
    Maybe because is possibly burns up batteries?

I don't know for sure but I suspect so.
    yeah, I don't trust touchstones. Generate way to much heat.
  9.    #9  
    I have never had problems, and I am even overclocking my Pre to 800
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Maybe because is possibly burns up batteries?

I don't know for sure but I suspect so.
    I've not seen a single mention of "burned up batteries" from any user, touchstone or otherwise. Even the google didn't turn anything up.

Sure, it gets a bit warm sometimes - but it's the way things should work on any phone. A docking station like the old treo/centro would also be ok with me, but I'm sure some designer didn't want to ruin the pebble finish.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Excessive heat (especially in cars) is known to kill batteries - thats not a Pre-thing, that's a phone-thing.

The battery on the Pre is consistently pretty poor. Maybe they are connected.

Everyone who has a Pre seems to charge it multiple times throughout the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantHeppes View Post
    At this point I just want my Pre back. I am getting WebOS Withdrawals after 3 weeks of no phone (probably another week before I get this one).
    I had the same problem in January, only I was lucky to get a new one in only 2 weeks (after complaining to BB because my phone hadn't left the store after 10 days). They then screwed up and told me there was a "loose wire" and I complained to corporate more. I got a new Pre the next day.

The worst part was being stuck with a WinMo phone!
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Burns up batteries? Uh, whatever. Most people griping about Touchstone heat are overclocking or running Sprint Nav and Pandora in their car in 90 degree weather. I use mine all the time and all of my batteries are in good condition (96% yield). More like BB is FOS and trying to talk it's way out of replacing someone's phone after having it for 3 weeks without bothering to tell them we don't carry the phone by giving them BS reasons just like any other sales person. Why anyone listens to a thing those people say is beyond me.
    more reasons to never buy a phone from a big box retailer. they offer 30 day turnaround to repair. if you call the carrier they will send you a replacement within a day or two.

and if you really have to buy a phone from BB, never buy the extended warranty. just get the insurance from the carrier when you activate.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    more reasons to never buy a phone from a big box retailer. they offer 30 day turnaround to repair. if you call the carrier they will send you a replacement within a day or two.

and if you really have to buy a phone from BB, never buy the extended warranty. just get the insurance from the carrier when you activate.
    BB's insurance is not a reason not to buy from BB. You don't have to get it. Buying the Pre for $149 sans waiting for the $100 Sprint rebate and then putting the phone on Sprint's insurance was remarkably easy. Plus, no matter where you buy if, you can take it to Sprint repair and if it's a manufacturer's error, they will replace it. I've had Sprint next day replacements for phones bought at BB without having the Sprint insurance, so it's not a problem.

As long as you're not dumb and you go into the store KNOWING what phone you want (and not looking for sales to talk you into the phone they want you to want), everything is great. This goes for any store, including carriers. We've certainly all read enough idiocy from Verizon reps.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    BB's insurance is not a reason not to buy from BB. You don't have to get it. Buying the Pre for $149 sans waiting for the $100 Sprint rebate and then putting the phone on Sprint's insurance was remarkably easy.
    Next phone I get will def be through Best Buy, can't beat that no Rebate deal. I gonna go with Carrier Insurance. $100 deductible to have a phone in 24 hours is worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantHeppes View Post
    Next phone I get will def be through Best Buy, can't beat that no Rebate deal. I gonna go with Carrier Insurance. $100 deductible to have a phone in 24 hours is worth it.
    apparently you haven't been reading this thread. OP doesn't have a phone in 24 hours. There are other threads around here where BB sent the phone in for repair like it was a freaking camera and a 30-day turnaround is acceptable.

Usually buying directly from the carrier website will also eliminate rebates.

Even if it's $50 more, it's worth it over the life of the phone. the only place I will ever buy a phone is from the carrier website.
  18.    #18  
    I can get my phone at Best Buy, not have to pay the rebate, then just get carrier insurance like it was offered to me when I first bought my Pre at Best Buy. I regret declining it and going with Best Buy's insurance.
    If you get a new phone through BB Insurance, you have 30 days to put Sprint insurance on it. That's what I did. My one experience with BB insurance was enough (and I didn't even have to wait, but I did have to haggle to get the instore replacement promised when I got the insurance).
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    If you get a new phone through BB Insurance, you have 30 days to put Sprint insurance on it. That's what I did. My one experience with BB insurance was enough (and I didn't even have to wait, but I did have to haggle to get the instore replacement promised when I got the insurance).
    Yep, the BB insurance is a rip-off for anything you buy from them, but especially for phones.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast